The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
You've already got a spruce/rosewood dread. This is what I'd be looking at.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/search?...rrencyCode=USD
You have a point, but I just don't really care for mahogany.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:34 PM

Let me ask this: Do all short scale guitars measure 24.9 in.? Or does it vary?
Old 04-08-2022, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

That's the most common one.

Honestly, after three pages or so, it really sounds like you need to get out there and play some things yourself.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-08-2022, 07:41 PM

My Larrivee OM-40R is a less expensive version of a rosewood back/sides and spruce top guitar. I've never compared them, however, as I have never played an OM-28. I like it quite a bit.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Maybe try a less expensive Martin OM? Swomgt, OM-1, etc. There are a few models out there that go for 1k and under.
Other than what you mentioned, what are other OM models that go for 1k and under?
Old 04-08-2022, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

OM-15 if you can find it, 000-16gt which I believe is long scale. I also believe some of the road series 000s are long scale , but maybe not 1.75” nut.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
That's the most common one.

Honestly, after three pages or so, it really sounds like you need to get out there and play some things yourself.
I agree, just wish some music shops were closer.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:21 AM

I would venture with Sigma or Cort.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I would venture with Sigma or Cort.
How can someone in the USA get a AMI Sigma?
Old 04-09-2022, 06:26 AM

Op while I absolutely think you can get some nice guitars and no shortage of cheap Martin copies, I simply don't think anything but a Martin sounds like a Martin unless you go up in price.

Ami sigma for instance makes a d45 copy with b&s in *basswood?*. Sure, it's about $1100. Imo, not even close to Martin sound.

Here's the economic side of it. Depending on the survey you read Martin is the largest, or maybe 2nd largest maker of acoustic guitars (privately owned, so you can't just lookup their financials). With that, and the way they build, combining no shortage of modern equipment with plenty of skilled hands, it's very hard for a competitor to build more efficiently.

Going the other way, Santa Cruz especially has a reputation for improving on the Martin sound, and they're doing that by per instrument tuning of wood dimensions, in addition to using same quality tone woods.

Here's a recording of a spectacular instrument, that well outperforms it's modern martin cousins. I've sat down with a similar SCGC my om-28, which is no slouch, it had so much more room and clarity. I was simply blown away.

https://youtu.be/SLo89_sGV58

As a probably 10x more expensive guitar than the om-28, I know it's not what you have in mind. At more like 2x the Martin price, SCGC still, imo makes a lot of better-than-Martin Martin style guitars. Again, you can get perfectly nice instruments are 1/2 the price, I just don't think they'll sound like Martins.

In one of your earlier threads you asked about the best sounding Martin. This link is that for me. It's a 1941 D45. I was fortunate to be in the shop one day when they had this guitar out, it was even more spectacular in person.

https://youtu.be/ldSlCXVIy-I
Old 04-09-2022, 06:33 AM

Sigma makes some darn nice versions too, in several different price levels, some with all solid wood. On the cheaper end they name the OMT-1, to the middle weight OMT -28 H, up to their custom shop models which look and sound amazing. Lots of options there.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

How close? My Blueridge BR-140 is probably 85% od a Martin D-18; but guess what, it's not a Martin. I suspect a Blueridge BR-163 will approach being close to a Martin OM-28; but it won't be a Martin.

Thanks for starting this though, helps me realize I'm probably not gonna be satisfied until I get a Martin D-18; love my Blueridge, but it's not a Martin.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:13 PM

You might want to check into a Blueridge. I have a BR-160A which is basically a D-28 copy and in my opinion it is about 85 or 90% of the Martin in sound and tone. It plays as well as any Martin I have ever encountered and my Martin playing friends all like it.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
How close? My Blueridge BR-140 is probably 85% od a Martin D-18; but guess what, it's not a Martin. I suspect a Blueridge BR-163 will approach being close to a Martin OM-28; but it won't be a Martin.

Thanks for starting this though, helps me realize I'm probably not gonna be satisfied until I get a Martin D-18; love my Blueridge, but it's not a Martin.
Yes, that's how I ended up with my HD-28, which I never could have gotten except for circumstance. But I tried several non-Martin guitars trying to get that sound but never could. I wasted some money trying.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion