The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

The modern Epiphone Masterbilt EF series (quality Chinese Made) is essentially an OM size and scale length. All of the important body dimensions are within ¼" (6mm) of a Martin OM

Not sure if they're available on your side of the pond, but here in the US the relatively plain EF-500R (solid rosewood back/sides, solid spruce top) sells brand-new for a street price well under your price limit. The considerably more ornate EF-500RA, is available at almost exactly your top price. There was also a mahogany back/sides version called the EF-500M which is apparently now out of production, but well worth seeking out on the used market

Epi Masterbilt EF-500R
Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

another vote for the voyageair om-04 or om-06. cost about half of what you mentioned and the build quality is excellent. playability on all i've tried are top shelf and the neck is a very nice profile. i own or have owned a bunch of OM's with most of them being 2-3 grand from Martin and Santa Cruz. the voyageair doesn't give up much to those guitars i've owned that cost 4-6x what it does.

d
Old 12-03-2019, 03:42 AM

Default Update

Well, I did get the OM1, and was very pleased with it, cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbytheway View Post
I am a old folkie, I have a Gibson SJN C/W model 1964,which I bought for £148 Quid

I am now looking for a OM folk shape guitar or parlour, I also have a Farida M-26 parlour which is kept at another location.
I tried two Tanglewoods at DV Barnet a trp 73 and a Cedar version both were very bright,too jangly for me. I tried 3 Martins at sound city a OM1 not bad,
a OM1E not good and a 0001x rgt what was very nice but not nice enough to get my wallet out!!
Can any one help me find a all wood OM model under a grand? Cheers
Johnbytheway
PS I bought the Gibbo in 1964!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion