The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 07:02 PM

Default Kevin Ryan Mission GC at Lowe Vintage - Oh, My!

Love my friends at Lowe Vintage in Burlington,NC. Played my first Ryan there yesterday and today. Oh, wow! Someone please buy this thing so I will stop dreaming about it,

https://lowevintage.com/item/guitars...grand-concert/
Old 05-03-2024, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

Ryans are wonderful guitars aren’t they. And this one, presumably in EIR, is less than half the price of many used Ryans in Brazilian. That’s a great way to get the Ryan sound without paying for rare wood.

You probably don’t want to hear this, but if you bought it you would have a magical guitar for as long as you kept it, and you’d get a good price when you sell it.

Oh, and there's a great-looking Ryan at Sound Pure in Durham too!
Old 05-04-2024, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I played a Ryan for the first time back in 2003. Beautiful guitars that are a treat to play. Glad to hear that you got to experience playing one.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-04-2024, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I heard my first Ryan 20-odd years ago from the playing of my dear friend, the late Al Petteway. I believe Al endorsed Ryans at the time. I thought the guitar had a beautiful voice, but then, Al made every guitar sound beautiful.

Kevin Ryan has always been innovative, and his guitars have always had a unique character. Years ago, he introduced an arm bevel with a series of holes he called 'acoustic flutes', a unique 'honeycomb' bridgeplate, laser cut-out bracing, titanium bridgepins and other features. His guitars really do have a voice all their own.

Earlier this year, I bought a 2021 cedar/ziricote Ryan Nightingale from Bobby Swanson (SuperB23), who has had more fine guitars pass through his hands than most folks. He said he'd had several Nightingales and this one was his favorite.

I found the guitar to have a powerful and distinctive sound unlike any I'd played before. There is an impressive strength and solidity to each string, creating a voice I could only describe as 'imposing'. It's head-turning without really trying.

I was so impressed that I'm having Ryan build me another, this time using some premium redwood over cocobolo. Once the build is underway, I hope to start a build thread for it.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
I heard my first Ryan 20-odd years ago from the playing of my dear friend, the late Al Petteway. I believe Al endorsed Ryans at the time. I thought the guitar had a beautiful voice, but then, Al made every guitar sound beautiful.

Kevin Ryan has always been innovative, and his guitars have always had a unique character. Years ago, he introduced an arm bevel with a series of holes he called 'acoustic flutes', a unique 'honeycomb' bridgeplate, laser cut-out bracing, titanium bridgepins and other features. His guitars really do have a voice all their own.

Earlier this year, I bought a 2021 cedar/ziricote Ryan Nightingale from Bobby Swanson (SuperB23), who has had more fine guitars pass through his hands than most folks. He said he'd had several Nightingales and this one was his favorite.

I found the guitar to have a powerful and distinctive sound unlike any I'd played before. There is an impressive strength and solidity to each string, creating a voice I could only describe as 'imposing'. It's head-turning without really trying.

I was so impressed that I'm having Ryan build me another, this time using some premium redwood over cocobolo. Once the build is underway, I hope to start a build thread for it.

I’ll look forward to the build thread, Jim.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-11-2024, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Post Ryan

I could not agree more Jim. I was looking for a ‘life’ guitar and first heard one online played by Al- a ‘99 Ryan EIR and Cedar MGC. I was mesmerized and got it. After nearly 7 years, I am still in love with its enveloping sound and ease of playing, especially in altered tunings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion