The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 04:44 PM

Default Why Martin? Why?

Now and then I'll pick up and play one of Martin's American made OM or dreads at Sweetwater to see how Martin is measuring up to the competition (I live next to their store location). I've played many other Martins, great sounding guitars, but not worth the $, in general, in my opinion, given the other options out there. I think in general it's agreed, Martin and Gibson guitars are going to have some notable dollar amount added on due to their past reputation (we'll see how long the member berries keep them in business).

So I would suggest Martin NOT do THIS silliness anymore...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...uitar-natural?

Just not a good look IMO on a product level and company level.

Last edited by SRA; 05-08-2024 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Comes with a 20k watch hence the price tag for the package.

Gimmicky but they are not asking 25k for the guitar.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-08-2024, 04:54 PM

I think it’s a magnificent-looking instrument. Selling for 27 grand, Martin’s neither going to make nor sell many of them, but if I was a collector with that kind of disposable income, I’d seriously consider acquiring one.

It’s all just a matter of personal taste, but I for one am glad that Martin engages in this sort of creativity.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-08-2024, 05:02 PM

I'm not one for "flashy", but I must say that I really like the headstock. Cool design. But not 25K cool.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Comes with a 20k watch hence the price tag for the package.

Gimmicky but they are not asking 25k for the guitar.
Are you telling me I can tell time and get a guitar for $27k?! Wow what a deal.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Roland G. Murphy is a high-end watchmaker based in Pennsylvania (depending on one’s definition of a “high-end watch,” of course). Martin and RGM have collaborated on a number of projects. I agree that the watch represents far more of the total price of the package than the guitar. I suspect that there is a fair number of people who are passionate about watches and guitars, and this is intended to appeal to that audience.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:09 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I think it’s a magnificent-looking instrument. Selling for 27 grand, Martin’s neither going to make nor sell many of them, but if I was a collector with that kind of disposable income, I’d seriously consider acquiring one.

It’s all just a matter of personal taste, but I for one am glad that Martin engages in this sort of creativity.

Wade Hampton Miller
Agreed. Love limited editions across brands and categories... guitars, watches, prints, etc...
Old 05-08-2024, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Martin have largely re-invented the acoustic guitar in the late 1890s until the 1930s.
They were a VERY conservative company for a loooong time, and often driven by the generations of CF Martins and the 3rd, made some bad mistakes.

Chris IV was a nice bloke (I met him in the UK - nice, sensible guy). but since he's stepped down, I feel they've lost their way a bit.

It must be a challenging time with so many making Martin style guitars but better, and many making as good but cheaper.

However, they ain't dead yet.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA View Post
Now and then I'll pick up and play one of Martin's American made OM or dreads at Sweetwater (I live next to their store location). 1. I've played many other Martins, great sounding guitars, but not worth the $, in general, in my opinion, given the other options out there. I think in general it's agreed, Martin and Gibson guitars are going to have some notable dollar amount added on due to their past reputation (we'll see how long the member berries keep them in business).

2. So I would suggest Martin NOT do THIS silliness anymore...

3. Just not a good look IMO on a product level and company level.

1. Key words: to you. And of those "options" you mention, they are made in the US, correct? And the premise of your statement is that they are less expensive -and- sound as good or better, correct?
And what guitars are you thinking of?

2. Though I'm not attracted to gaudy collectibles, why is it bothering you? This isn't keeping Martin from producing their other guitars, that you won't buy either

3. I'm pretty sure Martin will prevail in spite of all the things you mention that offend you. You seemingly aren't in their demographic.

A lot of people don't seem to be as smart as you. Such fools.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Roland G. Murphy is a high-end watchmaker based in Pennsylvania (depending on one’s definition of a “high-end watch,” of course). Martin and RGM have collaborated on a number of projects. I agree that the watch represents far more of the total price of the package than the guitar. I suspect that there is a fair number of people who are passionate about watches and guitars, and this is intended to appeal to that audience.
Helpful response thank you. Being a guitar player for over 18 years I value companies that give me everything they can for my dollar, and do not let their name carry them. Let's be honest, this isn't for someone who likes watches and guitars, this is for collectors, not guitar players, or watch lovers. I guess you can be both, but this Martin watch and guitar is not in the spirit of music or guitar. It's in the spirit of maximum profit, and to satisfy those who need expensive collectors items.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Helpful response thank you. Being a guitar player for over 18 years I value companies that give me everything they can for my dollar, and do not let their name carry them. Let's be honest, this isn't for someone who likes watches and guitars, this is for collectors, not guitar players, or watch lovers. I guess you can be both, but this Martin watch and guitar is not in the spirit of music or guitar. It's in the spirit of maximum profit, and to satisfy those who need expensive collectors items.
Well, they are a business after all. A business with a bunch of employees who need to be paid.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Martin have largely re-invented the acoustic guitar in the late 1890s until the 1930s.
They were a VERY conservative company for a loooong time, and often driven by the generations of CF Martins and the 3rd, made some bad mistakes.

Chris IV was a nice bloke (I met him in the UK - nice, sensible guy). but since he's stepped down, I feel they've lost their way a bit.

It must be a challenging time with so many making Martin style guitars but better, and many making as good but cheaper.

However, they ain't dead yet.
The tie-ins with Roland Murphy are very much Chris Martin IV’s brainchildren. This was from an event from 2022:

The guitar has inlays that mimic the movement of an automatic watch, and Roland Murphy advised Martin on aspects of the design.

It’s easy to point the finger at the new CEO for some of the things Martin has done in the last few years since CFM IV “stepped down,” but CFM IV’s influence is still very strong, especially when it come to special editions, etc.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Well, they are a business after all. A business with a bunch of employees who need to be paid.
Indeed, and as customers, we vote with our dollar, and I will not "vote" for a company spending their time and money in this way. At least when they have a lot of work to do in their standard consumer department. Not saying anyone else should or shouldn't buy it, if it's the kind of stuff they want to keep seeing Martin make, go for it.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Martin is only making 20 of these guitars, so the contribution to the bottom line is infinitesimally small. Chris Martin is into watches and other finely crafted, handmade things, and loves to do these collaborations. I don’t think there’s much more to it than that.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Now and then I'll pick up and play one of Martin's American made OM or dreads at Sweetwater (I live next to their store location). I've played many other Martins, great sounding guitars, but not worth the $, in general, in my opinion, given the other options out there. I think in general it's agreed, Martin and Gibson guitars are going to have some notable dollar amount added on due to their past reputation (we'll see how long the member berries keep them in business).

So I would suggest Martin NOT do THIS silliness anymore...

Just not a good look IMO on a product level and company level.
I’ve said the following several times over the years on AGF…first (simple) principle of selling:

It ain’t what it’s worth, it’s what people think it’s worth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion