The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2024, 12:09 AM

Default Collings OM1 JL

So I got a bit of a problem..

About a year ago i managed to get a hold of a Waterloo WL-K. Didnt love it on first strum but it has grown so much on me that i now cant live without it. Great couchguitar!

During this time i also had a Collings OM1 JL on order which they told me would take forever to build so i ignorerd it. However after getting The WL-K they told me they were on track again.

So, have any of you experienced the OM1 JL? Is it worth the money? I am also getting it cheaper If I were to buy it new (or even used) from the company.

Also, If it is important, i am an experienced player.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

It's a Collings, so you know it's going to be solid. People's opinions on that model are going to be based on their tastes, not yours. Threads like this are good if you need encouragement to pull the trigger because people who own one are usually going to tell you they love it.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

The JL model was partially the impetus for Bill Collings starting the traditional line. Therefore you’re going to get more of an even and traditional vibe from it as opposed to normal Collings precise and sharp tone. If you like the Waterloo I think you’ll enjoy the JL too.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

The JLs are wonderful guitars and very satisfying to play. I am blessed to live in a place to have tried several. The Sitka topped ones are warmer to my ear than the Adi counterparts, and less expensive. With Collings clarity, Sitka is a great choice, but the Adi is no slouch - just preference.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I've had my OM1AJL since 2017 and got a WL-K at the end of 2022. The WL-K is fun to play when I'm in the right mood and/or for the right song. It's got a very wonderful and distinct personality. The JL is a guitar I always want to play and works for nearly everything I do. I'm lucky to have some nice boutique and vintage guitars but the JL is the one I'd keep if I was ever in the sad position to have to downsize to a single instrument.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B9AFDE18-6EF7-444D-A178-58F7DEA8CFA9.jpg (119.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 1418566C-0685-4258-B2AC-E70A5C419296.jpg (182.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 02-01-2024, 05:44 PM

I love my Sitka topped JL. I’ll echo all of the above and add that it’s one of those guitars that are just really hard to put down.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

My JL is my primary gigging guitar (along with the Beard squareneck). It just works, and the neck shape is probably my favorite of anything I've owned/played over the past decade.

I should note mine is a 1-11/16" nut version. The neck shape is different with the 1-3/4" - that is the "Traditional" which is different shape (and I don't like nearly as much)

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-04-2024, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

I was in your position just a few months ago. I play dreads primarily but periodically have shoulder pain. After having rotator cuff surgery I wanted to have a smaller body guitar to take some stress off. I have a D1ATS already so I was familiar with the Collings traditional vibe. To keep it brief- I love this guitar as much as my dreads and it is so fun to play. It does not replace my bluegrass cannons in terms of volume and power, but for fiddle tunes and “cowboy ballads” or singer songwriter stuff it is fantastic and so much fun to play. If also feels much more comfortable and easy to sit on the couch with. I have the adi top version and after rolling though various string types I really like the NB’s they ship with.
2021 Martin 39' D18AA
2015 Duff F5
2008 Kimble A5
AO Tele 60's LPB
Vintage Fender Twin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion