The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2023, 03:46 PM

Default Just not meant to be I guess----

A week ago I won an auction on eBay for an Eastman guitar. The next day I ordered a Journey Overhead guitar from Musician's Friend / Guitar Center on their used section.

A day later I got an email from the Guitar Center the Journey was to ship from stating an inventory error occurred and the guitar was not in stock. I spoke to the manager suggesting that since the guitar fits in a backpack that they should not look for a guitar case. Turns out the guitar had been out for pictures and then disappeared. I spoke to the manager who was at the time reviewing security footage. It was probably stolen.

A week ago today I received shipping confirmation for the Eastman from eBay. " Label created. Post office awaiting item" That hasn't changed as of today. I contacted the seller who stated he had given the guitar to a relative who took it to a UPS store that said that USPS packages would be picked up at the end of the day by the post office. Of course no receipt is given for USPS drop offs. My guess is that a large guitar box has "gone missing".

I've got my money back from Musician's Friend and eBay's got my back with buyer protection so I'm not out anything but I really would rather have the guitars.

I've bought and sold dozens of guitars online and this is the first time I've had any real issues.

Please no "try before buying" advice. I'm in Wyoming. The nearest decent guitar store is over 200 miles away on icy roads. There are no Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch dealers in Wyoming. Besides, I love searching for deals online.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 01-09-2023, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Wow that is bad luck. I guess it frees up funds for something you might enjoy even more.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb & AC330e
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 01-09-2023, 03:53 PM

For what it's worth "Label created. Post office awaiting item" has been showing up on about half of the things I ship for the past 6-8 weeks despite me having brought them to the post office myself. They typically say this for a week or so and then they arrive. I talked to the postmaster and he said they've been seeing it a lot and he has no idea why.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyToonz View Post
...A week ago today I received shipping confirmation for the Eastman from eBay. " Label created. Post office awaiting item" That hasn't changed as of today. I contacted the seller who stated he had given the guitar to a relative who took it to a UPS store that said that USPS packages would be picked up at the end of the day by the post office. Of course no receipt is given for USPS drop offs. My guess is that a large guitar box has "gone missing".
Very sorry to hear about your multiple issues. It's hard to be sure if the eBay seller is a scammer or just an awful shipper. As you've noted UPS issues no receipt that they've taken possession of a UPSP item, and none is issued by UPSP until it is accepted at the Post Office. The seller's claim IMO (and I'd think eBay's) is a mute point as they has no receipt showing it was ever shipped. The part re "a relative taking it to UPS" just makes me more suspicious, as if they're trying to further insulate themselves from responsibility. I'd expect eBay to fully hold the seller responsible. Again, he has no real evidence of having ever shipped the item. Best of luck and keep us updated.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

I bet the ebay one turns up.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 01-09-2023, 04:44 PM

I'm rooting for Osage's response to be correct.
Cheap Squier Electrics

Old 01-09-2023, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I too hope the sage Osage is correct.....

Distantly related, I miss being 200 miles from anywhere.... I used to travel a lot and often to some nice remote places, and other countries, for part of my duties (bird studies). Things changed a few years ago....

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-09-2023, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
For what it's worth "Label created. Post office awaiting item" has been showing up on about half of the things I ship for the past 6-8 weeks despite me having brought them to the post office myself. They typically say this for a week or so and then they arrive. I talked to the postmaster and he said they've been seeing it a lot and he has no idea why.

Same thing is happening to me. Dropped off an item at the USPS last week and it hasn't even been scanned yet.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I have had this same thing happen to me on a non guitar item.
Today I got an email that the item has been shipped and I will get it on Thursday.
I hope the same works out for your guitar.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Oh man Cody , that really s#cks. Hope you get something even better...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-10-2023, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Hope it works out for the eBay order. Last April, I ordered a guitar from a well known music store, and it kept showing "label created" but no movement. After several inquiries, the guitar was discovered in their store and never shipped. The dealer made it right and upgraded to overnight, since it was being delivered to a family member's home across country.

I've found GC / MF used guitars to be unreliable with shipping. You have to micromanage the purchases.

Also, I've coming up on the 5th anniversary of wining an eBay auction, in which the shipper sent my guitar without any packaging (not even a box!).

Old 01-10-2023, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've had that happen on a couple things I've purchased online recently. They eventually showed up.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:22 AM

UPDATE----The guitar was still at the UPS store. Unbeknownst to the seller, the UPS store was out of guitar boxes. Turns out they were going to package it then use the USPS label. I suggested the seller cancel the USPS label and have UPS package and ship it. They got the box in yesterday and I got a UPS tracking number this morning. It will be here by the end of the week. Yay!

Personally, I won't list a guitar for sale unless I have a box lined up. I have had a couple of guitars sent to me with UPS store packaging and they do a good job.
Cheap Squier Electrics

Old 01-11-2023, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
UPDATE----The guitar was still at the UPS store. Unbeknownst to the seller, the UPS store was out of guitar boxes. Turns out they were going to package it then use the USPS label. I suggested the seller cancel the USPS label and have UPS package and ship it. They got the box in yesterday and I got a UPS tracking number this morning. It will be here by the end of the week. Yay!

Personally, I won't list a guitar for sale unless I have a box lined up. I have had a couple of guitars sent to me with UPS store packaging and they do a good job.
That's great - excellent news.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 01-11-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
A week ago I won an auction on eBay for an Eastman guitar. The next day I ordered a Journey Overhead guitar from Musician's Friend / Guitar Center on their used section.

A day later I got an email from the Guitar Center the Journey was to ship from stating an inventory error occurred and the guitar was not in stock. I spoke to the manager suggesting that since the guitar fits in a backpack that they should not look for a guitar case. Turns out the guitar had been out for pictures and then disappeared. I spoke to the manager who was at the time reviewing security footage. It was probably stolen.

A week ago today I received shipping confirmation for the Eastman from eBay. " Label created. Post office awaiting item" That hasn't changed as of today. I contacted the seller who stated he had given the guitar to a relative who took it to a UPS store that said that USPS packages would be picked up at the end of the day by the post office. Of course no receipt is given for USPS drop offs. My guess is that a large guitar box has "gone missing".

I've got my money back from Musician's Friend and eBay's got my back with buyer protection so I'm not out anything but I really would rather have the guitars.

I've bought and sold dozens of guitars online and this is the first time I've had any real issues.

Please no "try before buying" advice. I'm in Wyoming. The nearest decent guitar store is over 200 miles away on icy roads. There are no Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch dealers in Wyoming. Besides, I love searching for deals online.

Despite the bad luck , you have luck finding deals . Everything I see is way over priced to me . [emoji20]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion