The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2022, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Talk to me about gig bags

Here's my issue.

I'm 67 years old. Not fit. Overweight, but can still mow my lawn, hang doors, etc.

My new Pellerin, in its case weighs a ton, more so than my other guitars in cases. I am now recording downstairs in my basement and I carry the guitar in its case down to record and then back up afterwards. I'm wondering when my knees will give out and I'll end up dropping the guitar or worse yet taking a dive myself.

I've learned a long time ago that walking around the house with a naked guitar is not a great idea.

So I'm thinking a gig bag would be good to put the Pellerin in to carry it downstairs. I see the bags range from $30 to $250, what's a decent padded bag that won't weigh a ton with guitar?

Thanks.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 06-19-2022, 11:29 PM

I have three gig bags I use. The Gator Transit is just under the middle of your price range. Good bag with decent padding. I say it's wegood for light use and ok with minor bumps. My Reunion Blues RBX was about $150.00. It has more padding and I've carried it many times with it taking more of than a few light bumps and bangs. It's light blue interior does show dirt etc . My favorite is my Mono gig bag that is the lightest weight but I feel is the strongest. It's at the top of your price range but offers extra security for the neck and reinforcing of the sides. It has great pocket layout and extra rings to attach accessories. If I had a nice custom guitar I'd go with the Mono. Most expensive but definitely the most protective of my bags. I bought mine used off this site. All three can be viewed online for comparison.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Here's my issue.

I'm 67 years old. Not fit. Overweight, but can still mow my lawn, hang doors, etc.

My new Pellerin, in its case weighs a ton, more so than my other guitars in cases. I am now recording downstairs in my basement and I carry the guitar in its case down to record and then back up afterwards. I'm wondering when my knees will give out and I'll end up dropping the guitar or worse yet taking a dive myself.

I've learned a long time ago that walking around the house with a naked guitar is not a great idea.

So I'm thinking a gig bag would be good to put the Pellerin in to carry it downstairs. I see the bags range from $30 to $250, what's a decent padded bag that won't weigh a ton with guitar?

Thanks.
You gonna put ya new angel in a gig bag? To carry downstairs? Could end up a pile of splinters with you on top!

A number of guitars I have bought, mainly used, over the years, have come in gig bags and I spend half my life getting a hard case to protect them.

A little hard to find at the mo, but not impossible, the lightweight Hiscox cases have taken over my guitars! And every time I bang them on the steep basement stairs and the overhang and door and the table and the bench and the loungeroom coffee table and.......everything in the way to the car and sitting in the car and going to my guitar tech and living there for 2 weeks.......well, I give thanks for Hiscoxii - bags go to the bin!

Pro II model will do it - and you can stand on it, or fall down your stairs with it...or even drag it behind your mower, urr

BluesKing777.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:09 AM
Charter Member

This is a totally different perspective....

Have a look at the cheap Pod style cases. They are a zip up polystyrene shell covered in fabric. Ugly as sin, but very lightweight and very shock absorbant. I have successfully shipped around 600 or so guitars worldwide in this style of case because 1. They make the whole package lighter and so easier for the courier. 2. The shock absorbancy from drops, knocks etc is excellent. You would probably find one for around $50.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

The Gator Transit is great.

The best I’ve seen are the ones that come with some Taylor models. The Aerocase. I have one unused for my American Dream, and it is sized for a slope shoulder. It fits my Gibson J45 too. They do have some different sizings as well.

There are a lot of people like me who bought a subsequent hard case, and have their Aeros laying around. They really are fantastic.
Old 06-20-2022, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Have a look at the cheap Pod style cases. They are a zip up polystyrene shell covered in fabric. Ugly as sin, but very lightweight and very shock absorbant.
Sounds like some of the cases BAM make (except I find them quite attractive in terms of looks). They're not cheap though

But why go through the hassle if
1) you may already have a lighter case for one of your other guitars that fit (the bill & the guitar)
2) you could find another way to exercise and leave the guitar downstairs most of the time? (I'm guessing the basement would also be easier for humidity control...)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-20-2022, 05:41 AM

I have a Gator gig bag. It's one of less expensive ones. But it does offer ample protection against minor bumps and dings.

You try using the shoulder straps when going down stairs or around the outside of the house. You would have both hands free.

Not sure of the model I have, maybe the 4G. it was about $34 4 years ago. Today they are $79. They do offer an Economy for $30. But the Economy probably won't offer that much protection.

I have used mine when going on vacation and it did a fairly good job.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 06-20-2022, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

If you can, why not rig a pulley to move your guitar up and down the basement stairs.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Barry, why not do as I’ve done with my Martins - I bought them each a Hiscox Pro-ll case, and have their heavy TKL ‘Geib-style’ cases stored in the shipping boxes in my loft.

You have an Avalon and a Furch, you know how strong and, more importantly for old geezers like you and me, light Hiscox cases are. Personally, I wouldn’t faff around with gig-bags - I have a Mono Dreadnought gig-bag which resides in my garage and hasn’t been used for maybe five years. And if you stumble going down those basement stairs and fall on top of the guitar, I very much doubt that any gig-bag will save it.

If your Pellerin were mine, before I even gave a thought to getting a gig-bag (and faffing around switching from case to gig-bag and back every time I took the guitar downstairs), I would measure it up and call Hiscox to check if one of their cases would suit it, or could be adapted to fit. If they advised in the affirmative, I’d order the Hiscox for it to live in permanently, and store the original case safely for the event that I ever decided to sell the guitar.

However, it ain’t my guitar, so…

As always, the standard disclaimer applies - IMHO. However, I realise that YMMV, and I’m cool with that.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-20-2022, 06:15 AM

The Canadian made TRIC cases are great. Light as a bag of chips, rigid, and very strong. Not sure what the cost is these days, likely $125 or more.
Roger
Old 06-20-2022, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Some good suggestions here. I have a Gator Transit and it serves me well for taking my guitar around to local gigs and jams. The Reunion Blues and Mono options are also excellent. It sounds as though both the Hiscox and foam shell choices have some good benefits as well.
At our age it is wise to me mindful of our backs, shoulders, hips, okay, I’ll stop there. :-) Ah, decisions, decisions!
Best,
Jayne
Old 06-20-2022, 06:27 AM

My two cases are very heavy and when I take them to my country house it is a drag!
Do you know of a single gig bag that works for both a Dread and a Parlor?

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
1959 Höfner 456/S
Old 06-20-2022, 06:39 AM

71 here my friend and I know what you mean about lugging a heavy case around with a guitar in it - especially a Calton case with my Ryan.

Several years I picked up ago a Taylor gig bag when I was into Taylors and still use it.
Well padded, stiff with pvc sides I believe, well made with back pack style straps if necessary but the whole thing weighs next to nothing.

They're about $100 or so, it's something I'll always have taking a guitar too and from.
I got the Dread/GA size as it'll handle just about any size and shape.
I generally store my guitars in their cases and in the closet for humidity control but when taking one to a group or church or such,
it is very protective and much, much easier.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylor...E#store-header
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Last edited by TennesseeWalker; 06-20-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

I'll throw in Access Cases, lots of protection, lower cost. They make the tan Taylor bag above.
It's not as good as the newer Taylor Aerocase, but very good.

https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/p...tage-one-bags/.

I've been gigging with this bag for about 5 years, works great.
They also make a higher protection bag, the Stage 3.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-20-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
The Canadian made TRIC cases are great. Light as a bag of chips, rigid, and very strong. Not sure what the cost is these days, likely $125 or more.
Roger
I agree. The TRIC cases are the excellent. Light-weight and much more protective than most soft-shell cases. As others have mentioned, the Mono cases are also top-notch. For a premium guitar, those would be my starting point.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion