The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2022, 02:05 PM

Default To Buy or Not To Buy: Used 814 Edition

Okay, I'm basically just trying to talk this through. A shop near me has a consignment Taylor 814 (no C, no E - just the way I like it) from 2004 for what seems to be a good price. And by good price, I mean that if I were to sell a guitar or two, I could get it, whereas I would never even contemplate getting a new 814. I had been thinking about one of those Koa-topped 224's recently, though the thought of paying that much (new, anyway) for a laminate B/S guitar makes me want to run the other direction. The 814 would be just a couple hundred bucks more than that.

I've played it, it sounds good, plays great, but the strings are pretty well beyond their prime. In fact, a lower-end Breedlove at the same shop may have sounded better because it had fresh strings on it. So that is point #1, just how much would fresh strings improve the 814.

The other thing I've been thinking is that I've had several Taylors in the 300 and 400 series in and out over the years. My trusty 114 has stuck around all this time because when it gets down to it, to my ears, there just wasn't enough difference between the 114 and the 300/400s to keep the others around. I have not had a chance to A/B the 114 with this 814.

So I'm left with, should I take this chance to own the "flagship" Taylor? I've been playing 28 years, don't I deserve a high-end guitar?

Or, do I just not need the hassle of selling a guitar to fund this purchase, and my current guitars sound great to me, anyway.

I know this is all subjective, like I said, I'm just trying to talk it through and see about getting any input from my fellow enthusiasts.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:09 PM

Do it - you’ll not get the chance again - and you will regret it.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaDave View Post
Do it - you’ll not get the chance again - and you will regret it.
What he said...

IBANEZ AE-305
IBANEZ AF-75JBB
IBANEZ AFG-95
IBANEZ AFC-95
IBANEZ LGB-30
ALVAREZ MD60EBG
MARTIN D-10E-02
Old 06-11-2022, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

An 814 with no C or E is a scarce thing. Fine guitar, for sure.

I recently found a 516 with no C or E, and am delighted with it.

I'd say go for it!

(Easy for me to say, right?)
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 06-11-2022, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Well, it's got the NT neck which is a plus in my book. It's prior to the shifted bracing/re-voiced models. People speak highly of those Taylors, YMMV on that. If you like the sound it makes, I'd go for it. As far as strings go, I recently bought a 2014 Taylor GS that was most likely still wearing it's factory strings. It hadn't been played in years and sounded horrific. After some time, the strings loosened up and it gravitated towards OK but lifeless. I thought new strings made a considerable difference.

Scott

Last edited by ScottSD; 06-11-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

If I were in your position I would buy a set of my favorite strings from the seller with the understanding that they would put them on the guitar or let me do it. Takes the strings out of the equation at a pretty low investment.

Then I’d A/B them in the shop.

And if I liked the new one I’d buy it. They are pretty rare beasts and it’s on your radar.

Worst case is you are out a few bucks and they have new strings on the guitar for free.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
If I were in your position I would buy a set of my favorite strings from the seller with the understanding that they would put them on the guitar or let me do it. Takes the strings out of the equation at a pretty low investment.

Then I’d A/B them in the shop.

And if I liked the new one I’d buy it. They are pretty rare beasts and it’s on your radar.

Worst case is you are out a few bucks and they have new strings on the guitar for free.
If the shop is interested in selling the guitar they will let you restring it or even do it on their dime.
You really want to hear the guitar with good strings on it before you purchase it.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
If the shop is interested in selling the guitar they will let you restring it or even do it on their dime.

You really want to hear the guitar with good strings on it before you purchase it.

I agree with this thought.
You did mention the Breedlove sounded better, make sure it’s just the strings.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:47 PM

A/B it with your 114 and if it beats it, even if only by a little, buy it.

You deserve it.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:48 PM

My 814ce (2005 model) is awesome, although now I prefer my Gibsons… I would say try the 814 with new strings. Also like others said, bring your 114 and compare them
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 06-11-2022, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I'd keep that J-15 though. Maybe you can just bring the others in for trade in to escape the rigors of 3 sales.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 06-11-2022, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I'd compare the 814 to your AD17 instead of the 114.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
Good advice here. Doesn't matter if it's the "flagship" if it's not your idea of great. A good guitar sounds good even with old strings. The fact that other guitar in the shop sounds better isn't a good sign.

Personal note. A family member has an older 714 that's OK, but when I visit and put new strings on it, it doesn't get better. It stays just OK.

Not saying you shouldn't get it, but as has been said, take the strings out of the decision.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:51 PM

To Buy or Not To Buy: Used 814 Edition

ribsareyummy,

Might not be up to the shop to re-string it.

The real curiosity is if it is on consignment, why wouldn't the consignor have put new strings on it?

Maybe it's been consigned by a non-player?

Since it's a Taylor, if I had consigned it, I would have put new Elixir PB Lights on it in the hopes of kissing it goodbye. Tayior designs with Elixirs in mind.

And I think it is definitely worth putting new strings on it even if you have to pay for them yourself. That way you will know for sure. No regrets even if you walk away.

And I also like the idea of no 'ce' after the 814. The 'e' can be ignored, but the 'c' can't. I have one cutaway, but it's a great all-mahogany guitar in spite of it. About half my acoustic guitars have installed pick-ups, but I don't plug in anyway. That's what electric guitars are for.

Good luck and good hunting.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 06-11-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:43 PM

I'm kind of a Taylor guy but I have to agree with the idea that the strings shouldn't make it a completely different guitar. You do deserve a great guitar, (who doesn't?) but if you're already a/b'ing it and it's not a winner, I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion