The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2021, 07:16 AM

Default Guitar to take camping

We're going to stay at campground in the Arkansas mountains mid October where I expect the temperatures could be in the 40's-low 70's. My only guitar that I'd consider taking is an older Breedlove concert import, solid top, plywood sides. Does anyone see any potential problems with keeping a guitar like this in a tent with these temperatures? I'd like to get a smaller, inexpensive travel friendly guitar if my wife does well with this, her first, camping trip. Any suggestions? Not looking for something that fits in a suit case. Just a little shorter decent sounding guitar.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:54 AM

It most likely will be fine. Especially if you have a good case for it.

A shorter decent guitar is not going to be that much smaller then a regular guitar. The travel guitars like the Backpacker are almost worthless unless you just want to have an instrument around for finger exercises.

But the overall length of a parlor guitar is 36-38 inches where as a Dred is about 40 inches. So as far as packing goes you are not saving much.

So I am suggesting that you get the kind of guitar you want. Otherwise if you really want a travel guitar then the folding ones are really cool.

I bought a Yamaha classical guitar, all laminate, in about 1995 for the purpose of traveling and have done many camping trips with it and still have it today.

If I had the money I'd get one of those carbon fiber gutiars but an all lam Yammy is a pretty good choice too.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:01 AM

Yeah, at those temperatures you should be fine. I've had pretty nice guitars at temps down to the mid 30's with no problem - you just want to avoid rapid temperature changes, so a good case is advisable.

I've heard good things (and the couple I've played have been very nice) about the Alvarez Artist series parlor if you're looking. I don't think you could go wrong with one of those for the few hundred it would run you.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 08-03-2021, 08:10 AM

I also agree, it will be fine.

If you were going to do a lot more camping, I would look into a Carbon Fiber guitar, they sound quite good and you never really have to worry about it at all as long as you don't run it over. The joke is you could use it as a canoe paddle in a pinch.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 08-04-2021 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-2021, 08:16 AM

Thanks everyone. As long as I don't annoy other campers it should be fine. I keep it in a nice hard shell case. Sitting around a campfire with beer, maybe edibles, and a guitar just seems like a perfect combo at the end of the day.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:32 AM

I agree with the others that said your guitar should be fine under the camping conditions you describe.

As for a dedicated camping guitar, TomB'sox' suggestion of a carbon fibre instrument is right on. I owned a CA carbon fibre guitar for many years, and used it as my festival guitar. Never a worry about heat, humidity, cold, bumps, etc. Never used it as a canoe paddle, but it probably would have worked in a pinch and would have stayed in tune while doing it.

Another suggestion would be to check out Voyage Air guitars. Their models range from all-laminate to all-solid wood, and they have the great advantage of folding into a compact (backpack size) travel case. I own a dreadnaught model which goes with me whenever I travel by air or by car when space is an issue.

Enjoy your camping trip!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-03-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I don't see a problem taking your Breedlove guitar camping. I used to take my old '67 Martin D-35 camping with us.

Today, I would take my folding neck Voyage Air VA-OM06 guitar, just because it is of less value, it's easy to carry in its backpack, and it still sounds very good since with the neck in position it's a full-size OM guitar with a solid spruce top.

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2021, 08:49 AM

I bought and old yammy fg730s for $60 for that exact reason. It’s never failed me

“The guitar’s all very well as a hobby, John, but you’ll never make a living out of it.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion