The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Default What makes a bigger impact on sound? Sitka w/GE or Adi w/FS-SB

I've been looking at a custom Martin OM/000 Sitka over Adi GE bracing and another custom with an Adi top but standard Adi forward-shifted scalloped bracing (but not GE). I guess my question would be which upgrade do you think would make the most difference? If you had to choose between an Adi top or a Sitka top with GE which would you chose?
Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

If this were a boutique builder, the forward shifted bracing should make the most noticeable difference in tone. However, because it's Martin, a production builder who doesn't (and never has) individually tap tuned or optimized their tops, it's not so easy.

Most times, I've generally not cared for green Adi tops from Martin. So in the absence of actually being able to play the guitar beforehand, I'd go with Sitka paired with the lighter GE bracing if it's a brand new guitar. However, if the Adi topped guitar at least 5 years old and been played a lot, could sway me that way.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:08 AM

Please pardon my ignorance but what does GE stand for?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I've been looking at a custom Martin OM/000 Sitka over Adi GE bracing and another custom with an Adi top but standard Adi forward-shifted scalloped bracing (but not GE). I guess my question would be which upgrade do you think would make the most difference? If you had to choose between an Adi top or a Sitka top with GE which would you chose?

Each of these two topwood/bracing style formats "makes the most difference"...they just are DIFFERENT "differences". So either could work great for you depending on the tone and dynamic response you are after?

And...just because a given guitar has some type of topwood/bracing that is "supposed to sound a certain way" does not mean that it will follow the mean average and "sound a certain way".

It just all boils down to how each top and it's bracing type and pattern work together to produce tone, and that is a completely individual for each and every guitar.

You really have to pick the one that sounds like what you want it to.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 AM

I have personal experience with these specific options on Martin dreadnought builds. My personal opinion is not much different than Bob Taylor's who said that Adi bracing under Sitka gets you about 80% of the results of an Adi top. But, it's not 100%. And, to date, I have not experienced a Sitka top from Martin that has the head room of the Adirondack tops they sell. If you need the extra power, go with Adi. If you want a sweeter tone, consider the Stika with GE bracing. So, it should be no surprise that I now own 2 Martin dreadnoughts with Adi tops and Adi GE bracing. It's the best recipe for me. It can be sweet when I'm playing folk, and will keep up with a bluegrass ensemble. The only issue is that you need time for the Adi guitars to break in. Sitka seems to break in more quickly. So, if you can afford the Adi VTS option, I think you'll be pleased. In the end, normal variability in guitars is probably more noticeable than the differences between these builds.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:37 AM

I would guess the Sitka/GE will be slightly more responsive to a lighter touch, may have slightly better bass response and may be better for finger style. The Addy/forward shift may be slightly brighter, have a higher head room, and handle heavy strumming slightly better. Of course theres no way to know unless you play these specific guitars
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 12-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Please pardon my ignorance but what does GE stand for?
"Golden Era" bracing. More heavily scalloped than traditional Martin scalloped bracing. Not quite as scalloped a Martin does on their "authentic" bracing. But authentic bracing is only available on authentic series guitars not via the custom shop. Thus the most heavily scalloped bracing you can get from Martin via the custom shop is GE.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
"Golden Era" bracing. More heavily scalloped than traditional Martin scalloped bracing. Not quite as scalloped a Martin does on their "authentic" bracing. But authentic bracing is only available on authentic series guitars not via the custom shop. Thus the most heavily scalloped bracing you can get from Martin via the custom shop is GE.
Thank you ... I would never have guessed that.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 AM

For my tastes, I think it's more important to use an Adirondack top on a dread than it is on an OM/OOO or smaller guitar. I like how Adirondack gives a dread a bit more focus, decreasing the bass a little. But that tendency might be too much of a good thing on an OM/OOO where the body itself tends to do those things. So on an OM/OOO, I'd probably choose Sitka over Adirondack.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:49 AM

I'll also throw this experience out there. Feel free to believe it or not.

I went through Martin's Custom Shop for my HD-28 with an Adirondack top. I inquired about GE bracing based on the prevailing wisdom that it was more heavily scalloped. I was willing to pay for the upcharge. Dealer went through the specs with the Custom Shop and was told there would be zero difference in how the guitar responded and sounded regarding GE vs standard shaped bracing. GE braces had the flat top. Standard braces had a rounded top. Scalloping, at least for the guitar I ordered, would be the same.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:21 PM

I agree with both of the comments from Archerscreek above, especially since my experience is with Dreadnoughts and not OMs. The GE bracing does start the scallop a little closer to the X and has a smaller bridge plate. It’s hard to say if those details, plus the flat top, translate to a big sound difference. I just happen to like it, myself.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
For my tastes, I think it's more important to use an Adirondack top on a dread than it is on an OM/OOO or smaller guitar. I like how Adirondack gives a dread a bit more focus, decreasing the bass a little. But that tendency might be too much of a good thing on an OM/OOO where the body itself tends to do those things. So on an OM/OOO, I'd probably choose Sitka over Adirondack.
Thanks for the input. I am looking at a 000/OM and have wondered if I might go Sitka over GE bracing just for something different. I have an adi/mahogany on my CEO7, a Sitka/rosewood on my HD28, and an adi/rosewood Eastman e20om-tc. So a Sitka/mahogany with GE bracing may fill more of that tonal hole for lack of a better term.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion