The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Martin 00-15 Custom (guitar whisperer content)

I let a good friend my 00-15 custom (from L.A. Guitar sales) over the summer for three months. I was out of town and had my D Jr so i didn't need the 00.

Of course he fell in love w/ my guitar and wanted me to order one just like it from Ted when I got back. So the pressure was on, I sure didn't want my friend disappointed w/ his new guitar in comparison to mine which I thought was fantastic after playing it 5-6 years.

I called Ted and said there where three things I'd look at if I was at his shop to pick out the guitar myself. I knew he had 7-8 of the same model to choose from.

1. Neck angle

2. Good Saddle height (sufficient height for later adjustments)

3. Sound quality (not all guitars are born the same)

I looked at the pictures of the actual guitars on line and two stood out, slightly darker wood, attractive top and back,.. I mentioned those to Ted but said please take a look at all and send the one that he felt fit my description.

As it turned out one of the two i picked Ted thought was the winner so we ordered and waited the week for it's arrival.

Now my 00 is a beast, it's usually the loudest guitar in the room,..

My buddy Earl's new 00-15 blew mine away new out of the case. Has to be twice as loud with a huge bottom end but still balanced. Earl's 00 is very lightweight w/ lot's of saddle which does help the bottom end w/ more string pull over the bridge.

OK, I'm a little miffed that his new 00 is better than mine, on the other hand I happy for my buddy and he's overjoyed.

So back to the guitar whisperer, the last two mail order guitars I've bought by studying the pictures were fantastic, a Martin D Jr from Sweetwater (liked the top and it was the lightest of the four offered) and this 00.

I might rent myself out.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:39 AM

Well done! Now you have a reason to visit your friend. Maybe he won’t notice if you swap the cases [emoji6].

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion