The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Anyone own a DTSG Martin

Has anyone played or own a DSTG Martin ? I have been doing some research on 1 3/4 nut Martins with a sound simulator to a D-18 or Custom D Classic Spruce top Mahogany back and side guitar . A sound that my ears enjoy . This seems like something that I can afford . Thanks for ant information . Joe R

Last edited by 1833; 04-04-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:55 AM

Do you mean DRSG?
Old 04-04-2019, 10:33 AM

No I mean DSTG sorry 😐
Old 04-04-2019, 11:22 AM

Got it. Great guitar. Factory PLEK'd and pretty lightweight. Great tone and plays like a ..... Martin with a great neck. The price is about the same as an used D-18 (which comes with a hard-shell case) so you would have to decide if that matters. If you can find one through a sponsor, not sure if it's possible, then your price would be fantastic for a new Martin dread.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:04 PM

Denver Steve , that’s for the info. I have a brand new Martin hard case from my Custom D Classic mahogany guitar , I really enjoy the sound from my spruce top mahogany side and back DClassic but do not like the 1 11/116 nut . The DSTC has the neck and 1.75 nut sizes that I am used to playing , I know that this isn’t a high dollar guitar like a lot of the forum members play but for my old retired ears I am like a kid at Christmas waiting for it to arrive .I play for my ears only and do like the sound of the classic D ,I have installed a bone saddle from Martin and a set of fossilized walrus bridge pins and to my ears it sounds great . Wish I could get use to the 1 11/16 nut .

Last edited by TomB'sox; 04-04-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Selling without membership
Old 04-16-2019, 08:50 AM

I got my DSTG and am very happy with the way it plays the 1.75 nut and wide neck really feel great to me .(sent my Custom D Classic to my grandson in Washington to enjoy) . It sounds great to my ears, I wonder if anyone on this forum had the opportunity to play a Martin with there new titanium bridge pins. I have read that they will increase the volume without changing the tone . If it is a noticeable volume increase I would enjoy that modification but would like to hear somebody that has played a guitar with the pins . They are on backorder at the moment so I am trying to see if anyone has tested they new pins yet . Thanks for any information about these pin bridge pins . Joe R
Old 05-13-2024, 09:19 AM

Joe, I just purchased a pre-owned DSTG in mint condition. I've had it for one week and I simply can't stop playing it. It has Incredible tone and balance. However, the volume level is lower than I would have expected. My DSTG was beautifully set up just the way I like it, with low action (2.0 low E/1.75 high E), but immediately changed the strings to Martin SP 2.0 bronze phosphorus thins. I tried using mediums but tonally fell flat. Like you, I too am a retiree and have an appreciation for great sounding guitars. I would be interested in getting any type of feedback from you regarding your experience with your DSTG since you have had for some time now. As you know, there is not, if any, any real life reviews of the DSTG on line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion