The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2004, 04:47 AM

Default Yamaha L Series

has anyone had the chance to check out the high end versions of these guitars? I mean the new LX26 or LX36 models (any body style is fine)? The price point definately indicates they are going to be well made and sound good.

I'm curious, is non-scalloped bracing common on expensive guitars? I've always thought Yamaha made some interesting mid-level guitars but these will certainly be (price wise anyhow) firmly planted as a high end guitar.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimH
has anyone had the chance to check out the high end versions of these guitars? I mean the new LX26 or LX36 models (any body style is fine)? The price point definately indicates they are going to be well made and sound good.

I'm curious, is non-scalloped bracing common on expensive guitars? I've always thought Yamaha made some interesting mid-level guitars but these will certainly be (price wise anyhow) firmly planted as a high end guitar.
You mean LL, right? I don't know about the new ones... but I played an older L series and think they were really underrated. The one I played rang like a bell... if these even come close, they'll be nice guitars.

I don't know about Yamaha's customer service, and their history suggests that they are driven by one thing... whether it sells. So if it doesn't sell, it won't be around long (in some cases less than a year or two), and likely won't retain much resale value, even if it sells enough to keep the line around. But if it's a keeper, it might be worth looking at.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Last edited by wthurman; 10-13-2004 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurmabus
I don't know about Yamaha's customer service, and their history suggests that they are driven by one thing... whether it sells.
Their customer service is very good in the UK and I'd describe Yamaha as not just driven by what sells (show me a company that isn't) but also by efficiency - they just seem very well organized, and even if their products may not always set hearts alight, they're certainly competent guitar manufacturers (I choose that word advisedly).

Richard
Old 10-13-2004, 10:25 AM

Again I'm not sure if I answer your question, but I have 2 of LS500 (little sister of LL500), they are very nice guitars both in sound and physical appearance. But of course that's subjective.
To me Yamaha high end guitars are very well built and reasonable priced at least to my ears.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurmabus
You mean LL, right? I don't know about the new ones... but I played an older L series and think they were really underrated. The one I played rang like a bell... if these even come close, they'll be nice guitars.

I don't know about Yamaha's customer service, and their history suggests that they are driven by one thing... whether it sells. So if it doesn't sell, it won't be around long (in some cases less than a year or two), and likely won't retain much resale value, even if it sells enough to keep the line around. But if it's a keeper, it might be worth looking at.
Hi, I own two LL-500s, one LS-500, and use to have a LS-400. I think they are excellent guitar for the money. I agree with Thurmabus that they don't seem to retain their value very well, but if you can find one (most of the time for several hundred dollars) they are a bargain. In the past I would never consider owning a Yamaha guitar, now whenever there is an LL/LS series up for sale and they're reasonably price then I'll buy it without hesitation. I find them to be considerably consistent in quality and sound. I tend to like the rosewood more so than the mahogany. Just my two cents.
luvguitar
'01 Yamaha LL500 (2)
'01 Yamaha LS500
Old 10-13-2004, 01:07 PM

Yeah I was actually referring to the new ling of LL guitars. They are making a dread-ish (LL--), jumbo (LJ--) and OM-ish (LS--) guitar. They have LL6, LL16, LL26, LL36 guitars now. The 6's are solid top and taiwanese, the 16's are all solid and taiwanese. The 26's are solid englemann/solid indian RW and handmade in Korea. The 36's are the same woods as 26's but hand made in Japan. The list price in Canadian dollars on each series is...(edited). I'm going to give the LL16 and LJ16 we got in today a good rip. I guess I was wondering if anyone has played the upper end guitars.

Also, any thoughts on the non-scalloped bracing? I'm just getting to learn what goes into making a really nice acoustic. I know electrics inside out and sideways but I must be mellowing as I hit the mid 20's. LOL

Last edited by cotten; 10-13-2004 at 08:39 PM. Reason: No Guitar Price Discussion, please.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah I was actually referring to the new ling of LL guitars. They are making a dread-ish (LL--), jumbo (LJ--) and OM-ish (LS--) guitar. They have LL6, LL16, LL26, LL36 guitars now. The 6's are solid top and taiwanese, the 16's are all solid and taiwanese. The 26's are solid englemann/solid indian RW and handmade in Korea. The 36's are the same woods as 26's but hand made in Japan. The list price in Canadian dollars on each series is.... (Edited). I'm going to give the LL16 and LJ16 we got in today a good rip. I guess I was wondering if anyone has played the upper end guitars.

Also, any thoughts on the non-scalloped bracing? I'm just getting to learn what goes into making a really nice acoustic. I know electrics inside out and sideways but I must be mellowing as I hit the mid 20's. LOL
Tim,
I would expect the LL26/LL36 comparable to LL400(mahogany)/LL500(rosewood). The LLs were all solid body, dreadnought style, and hand luthier in Japan; making these comparison they should be the same. Realize the LL/LS were the high-end guitars when they came out.
'01 Yamaha LL500 (2)
'01 Yamaha LS500

Last edited by cotten; 10-13-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:59 PM

yeah but the LL500's were only ever a $xxxx list guitar. I'd hope for more than twice the cash there would be a significant difference.

Last edited by cotten; 10-13-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
yeah but the LL500's were only ever a $xxxx list guitar. I'd hope for more than twice the cash there would be a significant difference.
Tim,
You are right about some significant difference. From what I gather some major differences include Englemann Spruce for the top instead of Sitka, non-scalloped X-bracing, SQ frame side-bracing, new NC neck block, and multi-wood neck. You've got me interested now to try these new improved series. Good luck in your quest.
'01 Yamaha LL500 (2)
'01 Yamaha LS500

Last edited by cotten; 10-13-2004 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:21 AM

For those who did not see this one yet,here is a link to Dave Goodman demoing the L-Serie. Mr Goodman is probably playing an LS36 on this one. I suggest that you download this amazing video.

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_..._v1_0_300k.wmv

I don't see any truss road plate on those L guitars, so I assume there is no truss rod . I wonder how the neck can be adjusted if ever needed. According to Yamaha, their neck is very rigid and should remain stable.

Personaly, I was looking to get Compass CPX8 or CPX8SY and finally , I ordered an LJX6C model instead. Back order in Canada, I should receive it by the end of November.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:33 AM

I believe the truss rod is adjusted from inside the sound hole.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:49 AM

That guitar really rings. I keep my old Yam FG110, which still sounds good, in my office where I can pick it up and noodle while Photoshop is laboring on something, and the FG335 I just bought cheap used to sell on ebay sounds great too. If you read reviews of just about any Yamaha -- new or old -- you get a surprise; Yam owners are seriously enthusiastic, like luvguitar above. In Acoustic Guitar magazine a recent shoot out of jumbos compared Yamaha with Taylor, Martin, and others, and the Yamaha came out very highly rated.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:50 AM

I for one never turn my nose up at a Yamaha guitar. I still have my first, and for many a long year, only guitar, a Yamaha. After 28 years, it sounds just fine! A well ballanced dread, she really rings out loud and sweet. I finger pick her and strum her, she likes it all. Only trouble I have had is the neck keeps twisting but a luthier friend steamed and straightened it. Not to mention, this guitar's a true friend. Been up and down many, many roads with me, both physically and emotionally.She's still a champion.
Marty
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 01-28-2005, 04:22 PM

Here's the website to those new Yamaha's. http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...r/message.html
They sure do look like pretty guitars to me. If only they had dealers around here who carried them. I really wanna try them.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:09 PM

I am late to this thread but discovered it while looking for information on my Yamaha LL-15EC. Curious what this accoustic/electric cut-away is worth? I tried the Yamaha guitar database and it didn't return any information on it.

According to the history link at Yamaha this model was manufactured in 1984. It is a great sounding and playing guitar. The wheel is in full spin with my teenage son now truly enamored with it. He should play it, he is the better picker.

Anyone know of or own this model?

For reference here is the history link at Yamaha:

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...r/history.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion