The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 PM

Default Cleartone strings changed the guitar

Had to order new strings for my 12 the other day and I’ve always used Elixirs...they are what is available locally. I decided to try something different and ordered some Cleartones. Wow! I just put them on a few hours ago.
I feel like they honestly sound less muddy. They definitely feel much less like a coated string also. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but they make the guitar sound like it has more definition in my opinion.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

Last edited by ParisStarlight; 10-11-2017 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Image link didn’t work
Old 10-11-2017, 11:18 PM

'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-11-2017, 11:39 PM

I haven't tried Cleartones - I'll make a note of them.
My preferred 12 strings are D'Addario EXP38 PB's but I'm up to trying other brands too.
I have DR's on one 12-string guitar at the moment and a new untried 12-string set of D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings sitting here.
I think I read somewhere that Martin Retro Monels are available in a 12-string set now too.(I really like them on mahogany)

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-11-2017, 11:41 PM

I've generally preferred the sound of Cleartone strings to the other coated strings I've tried.

whm
Old 10-12-2017, 02:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've generally preferred the sound of Cleartone strings to the other coated strings I've tried.

whm

I recently tried a set of medium Cleartones. They were on my Eastman D20 for the last two months. They had plenty of life left in them, but I returned to the comfort of my LTR with Elixer PB nanowebs... I have yet to find any string I like better.....

Tone wise, the Cleartones reminded me of J. Pearse, or D'Addarios. I expect pickers who don't like coated strings would enjoy them far more than I did, and benefit from their extended play life... They seemed to me noticeably brighter than Elixers, and stiffer, with almost the finger squeak noise of uncoated strings...

Don
Old 10-12-2017, 05:47 AM

Default Cleartone strings changed the guitar

I like Cleartone a lot and used to use them all the time. Hard to get hold of locally. I really liked Martin Lifespans but they changed to their own long life process last year and the first set I tried lasted just as long as a regular untreated set - i.e. about a week of regular use.

Their process is something akin to galvanising iirc. So not a coating as such and explains why they feel like “normal” strings.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 04-10-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:54 AM

I find strings to be like women. I am really enthusiastic about the one I've been with most recently.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:11 AM

I used to use Cleartone all the time, liked their longevity and feel. Then I switched to the Martin Lifespans, which I still use, but as pieterh says, when Martin switched to their own coating process, the Lifespans are not anywhere as long-lasting now. I wish Cleartones weren't so expensive, I'd try them out again. to compare (I play a lot more now than I used to).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 AM

They are not cheap, but I felt they are worth the extra cost. I also liked the D’Addario PB, but on my 12 I really want coated since I’m not playing out and I want them to last. I used the Elixirs because they were the only ones available locally that were coated. They still sounded good, but the Cleartones just seem to give it more life.

They definitely do feel like they are stiffer, I’d rate that as the one down side. Not horrible, but on the 12 the elixirs took little effort to fret.

Also, the Elixirs are nice with little noise and how smooth they play. These definitely do feel more like traditional strings though.

They gave it more jangle to me, more of a traditional 12 sound. I play mostly chords with a pick on it, more of a strummer.

I’m excited to go play them again when my little guy naps today and hear the beauty of the 12.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 AM

Seagull was shipping guitars with Cleartones when I bought my NE in 2013. I took them off within two days & replaced them with d'Addario, and never looked back. Incidentally, the saddle "reset" some in the bridge pocket with that string change, which likely had more effect on things than the new strings, but...

It depends on the guitar. I never liked Elixirs until I bought a Taylor - they sound different on those guitars.

Glad you found a great string, and play on!
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ballantyne View Post
Seagull was shipping guitars with Cleartones when I bought my NE in 2013. I took them off within two days & replaced them with d'Addario, and never looked back. Incidentally, the saddle "reset" some in the bridge pocket with that string change, which likely had more effect on things than the new strings, but...

It depends on the guitar. I never liked Elixirs until I bought a Taylor - they sound different on those guitars.

Glad you found a great string, and play on!
Thanks! The Seagull sounded great with the Elixirs, but it just sounded better to my ear with the Cleartones. I’m fairly sure the AGF user I bought it from had D’Addarios on it at the time.

I bet that saddle reset made the biggest difference! Seagull does make a great product though (Godin in general). I love my Norman and my Seagull.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 AM

Like most of us, I've tried different strings from time to time, and over the years. These days I "stock" d'Addarios and Elixirs - Elixir for my Taylors, and d'Addario for the rest. It wasn't always that way - I played Martin Bluegrass on dreads for years, for example.

I guess I never really gave the Cleartones a chance, but there had to be a reason that Godin switched to them..... their previous string was Godin branded dAddario....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 AM

A while back the owner of a small music shop gave me a set of the Cleartone hybrid metal strings to see what I thought. They were better than I expected although I still prefer the Newtone Masterclass and D'addario Nickel Bronze.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I used to use Cleartone all the time, liked their longevity and feel. Then I switched to the Martin Lifespans, which I still use, but as pieterh says, when Martin switched to their own coating process, the Lifespans are not anywhere as long-lasting now. I wish Cleartones weren't so expensive, I'd try them out again. to compare (I play a lot more now than I used to).
I guess I can consider myself lucky that my pH is low enough that I don't have to concern myself with needing to buy coated strings and can sympathize with those who must buy them. I haven't tried the Cleartones yet. Elixirs just seem like middle-of-the-road in terms of tone and I have tried them many times in many different gauges. For whatever reason I feel like I've had to change Elixirs out after 3 weeks, so no real savings on that count. As far as the Lifespan strings go, they have never lasted one day longer than the MSP4100's that I can get for under $6.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-12-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I guess I can consider myself lucky that my pH is low enough that I don't have to concern myself with needing to buy coated strings and can sympathize with those who must buy them. I haven't tried the Cleartones yet. Elixirs just seem like middle-of-the-road in terms of tone and I have tried them many times in many different gauges. For whatever reason I feel like I've had to change Elixirs out after 3 weeks, so no real savings on that count. As far as the Lifespan strings go, they have never lasted one day longer than the MSP4100's that I can get for under $6.
Lucky you yes! My biggest issue is that between being a home maker and having a toddler I don’t even get daily playing time, so often they wear before I get to play much if I don’t use coated strings. We will see how long these Cleartones last, I hope for $30 it’s quits some time!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion