The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 08:33 AM

Default What's Next?

My last two guitars were Taylors, and I'm jonesing after a 714 - thinking I really need a Rosewood guitar. However, I just retired yesterday and feel the need to broaden my view- the shop in town doesn't have a wide selection of mid to upper range guitar makers represented, although they always have a lot of nice Taylors. I need to consider Eastmans, Guild, Alvarez, Martin, Gibson, etc.... in the larger shops in my area - I live in central Maryland. I'll consider visiting a big box store (like a Guitar Center) if I have a target I can't find another way.

I know this is opening a door to a lot of input, but I actually intend to make a list with check boxes, etc..... and do some comprehensive comparisons. Sounds like I'm already missing the structure of the engineering office environment.....

But please give me feedback, and advocate for what you think deserves the airtime. My target range is fairly broad, $1k to $4k is my current thinking, but since retiring I'm a flexible guy..... so let me have it!

Edit: I should have initially included that my journey is travelling through tonewood country right now - my focus is drawn to tonewood combinations, but perhaps the journey meanders along the way......
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD

Last edited by Greg Ballantyne; 09-29-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:43 AM

If you're not satisfied with what you have I would sell most and seriously look for something that will get you wanting to play instead of wondering - "what's next?" Now that you're retired, congratulations by the way, look for great places to play.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:02 AM

Well, looking at the guitars in your signature, they're all full sized to "large."

I say try some smaller bodied instruments if you really desire something different. Also, make sure you're not looking just to look.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Now that you are retired, how about making a travel plan that focuses on guitar shops and or builders with a selection worth a visit?

That could be an enjoyable time with the bonus of acquiring a whole pile of hands on data about what is available!

Huss & Dalton in Virginia, is one destination I can think of. Nashville, TN to Gruhn's is another. Vintage Music in Philadelphia, Breedlove out in Oregon.

And then there are all the AGF sponsors who have brick and mortor locations scattered all around.

Have fun shopping!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 AM

I would recommend you look at the Alvarez Masterworks series. They are seldom mentioned but are great players and extremely reasonable in cost.

My MFA70 is one of the best examples of a Spruce/RW OM I have ever played.

Take your time and enjoy the process.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Guest316

Hi Greg,

This will be the oddest suggestion you'll see in this thread, but has merit. Consider investing in a nice classical guitar. It is something that will definitely expand your skill base and "worldview" of guitars. Remember that classical guitars are not necessarily only for classical music - they are wonderful fingerstyle/fingerpicking machines, too.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Hi Greg,

This will be the oddest suggestion you'll see in this thread, but has merit. Consider investing in a nice classical guitar. It is something that will definitely expand your skill base and "worldview" of guitars. Remember that classical guitars are not necessarily only for classical music - they are wonderful fingerstyle/fingerpicking machines, too.
OOOH! I like this.

I really think everyone should spend some time on a nylon string instrument. The way it teaches you to use your hands to shape tone is PRICELESS.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-29-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Many, many congrats on your retirement. If you make it to Staunton, VA and would like to audition a 714, let me know. I love mine and live 20 minutes from Huss & Dalton.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Two ideas...wait, three.

-- Take one of your current guitars with you for a reference.
Yes, you already know what it sounds like at home, but having a familiar tone and feel in the room with you as you play a "new" guitar can be very helpful.

-- Play every Gibson you can.
They have thier own thing going on.
I'm a Martin guy, with a couple nice Taylors.
But it's my fabulous J45 that fuels this comment.
J15's and J29's are cool too.

-- I agree with mr beaumont about trying some smaller body models.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Classical, archtop (ok, usually a tad more$), baritone?

I have had a baritone for about a week, although my work/family schedule haven't let me play it a ton. Play a normal tune on a baritone and the new key and tone are good changeups.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:22 AM

Martin D-18. Nothing else.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 09-29-2017, 09:23 AM

With you in central MD, if you want to broaden your horizons I'd STRONGLY recommend checking out Action Music in Falls Church, VA. I know it's probably not a quick trip but the past few times I stopped by there they had an amazing acoustic selection. They stock several Guilds and Huss & Daltons at all times, always have a few really cool Gibsons, and they always have a really intriguing used and vintage selection to boot.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la palma C View Post
With you in central MD, if you want to broaden your horizons I'd STRONGLY recommend checking out Action Music in Falls Church, VA. I know it's probably not a quick trip but the past few times I stopped by there they had an amazing acoustic selection. They stock several Guilds and Huss & Daltons at all times, always have a few really cool Gibsons, and they always have a really intriguing used and vintage selection to boot.
I've thought about that shop - I've visited their website.my workplace was in Reston Va, too far from my house for a commute, so I've still got an apartment there I'll not be out of for another month. I could also drive over to the Huss & Dalton shop as well - I had already checked on their location.
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 09-29-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Well, looking at the guitars in your signature, they're all full sized to "large."

I say try some smaller bodied instruments if you really desire something different. Also, make sure you're not looking just to look.
Good thoughts - I've had the same. I tried a folk sized guitar a few years ago, but ended up giving it to my brother. The voice was just a little smaller....I always thought of myself as a dread man, but then I got my 514, and fell for it. That's my "small body" guitar at this point.

I intend to try some small body guitars, and am planning a trip to Ireland fairly soon, and I'll look at Lowdens while there. I've heard that those smaller body guitars have larger voices for their size. I haven't given up at all on smaller bodies....
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 09-29-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ballantyne View Post
I've thought about that shop - I've visited their website.my workplace was in Reston Va, too far from my house for a commute, so I've still got an apartment there I'll not be out of for another month. I could also drive over to the Huss & Dalton shop as well - I had already checked on their location.
One point of advice about the H&D workshop. It's a great place and makes for a really nice little tour, but it's not really "hands on" as they don't really have any finished guitars around for you to sample. My wife and I did the tour there several years ago so YMMV, but I've had more luck playing H&D guitars at Action and also Lynchburg Music but that would be quite the hike for a day trip.

Last edited by la palma C; 09-29-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion