The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2017, 08:25 AM

Default I need a little help deciphering Martin Model #'s

Hey guys and gals...I have a couple dumb questions...

First off -- I'm trying my best to figure out what the model #'s mean for Martin. For instance, if someone tells me they have a Taylor 814ce, I know it's a GA size, cutaway, and has electronics. Great! With the Martin guitars, it's a little more challenging for my simple brain. Anyone know of a simple website that expel,aims this?

Secondly - I own a few Taylors, and now I'm looking for a Marin to add to my collection. I sold my Martin dread last year because it was just too big. I haven't figured out what tone woods yet, but i know i really want to stick around the size of a Taylor GA, so I can strum it with some aggression.

I found that I'm gravitating towards the OM-28, however, a lot of people talk about the GP size. So I;m trying to figure out what is the difference (besides the $$) between these two models? From what i gather the OM is a just a bit bigger than the GP, but what other differences?

I'm sorry to bother you with these questions, but the research is daunting. I would say that I don't want to spend more than 3k-ish.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:40 AM

http://martinrep.com/index.html

Spec Wizard will help.

rct
Old 09-27-2017, 09:04 AM

Thanks for that link-- it's a big help!
Old 09-27-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Hey guys and gals...I have a couple dumb questions...

First off -- I'm trying my best to figure out what the model #'s mean for Martin. For instance, if someone tells me they have a Taylor 814ce, I know it's a GA size, cutaway, and has electronics. Great! With the Martin guitars, it's a little more challenging for my simple brain. Anyone know of a simple website that expel,aims this?

Secondly - I own a few Taylors, and now I'm looking for a Marin to add to my collection. I sold my Martin dread last year because it was just too big. I haven't figured out what tone woods yet, but i know i really want to stick around the size of a Taylor GA, so I can strum it with some aggression.

I found that I'm gravitating towards the OM-28, however, a lot of people talk about the GP size. So I;m trying to figure out what is the difference (besides the $$) between these two models? From what i gather the OM is a just a bit bigger than the GP, but what other differences?

I'm sorry to bother you with these questions, but the research is daunting. I would say that I don't want to spend more than 3k-ish.
I know exactly what a Martin is. I have no idea about Taylors.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:58 AM

FYI, a bought an M36! I love it!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 AM

The information that you desire is found in their website . Just have a look .
Old 10-13-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
FYI, a bought an M36! I love it!
My instructor has an 0000-28H (0000 is what they used to call the "M"). I'm in love with that guitar; the body shape is perfection.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
The information that you desire is found in their website . Just have a look .

Yeah, the link that rct provided above really helped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion