The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Broken shoulder - need advice

I broke my left shoulder and after surgery I have a plate and screws right where a guitar strap would be. I'm worried that I won't be able to use a strap on that shoulder. It will be several weeks before I'm out of this sling and cleared to use my left arm for anything.

Any right handed folks wear a strap on your right shoulder (or left handed on left shoulder)? Is it stable? Or are there any specialty straps out there that would help me? I will try the left shoulder when the time comes but if it doesn't work I'd like to already have some idea of an alternative.
Fender GDP100 Parlor
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 PM

I don't but I've seen it done successfully. Sorry for your break. Heal up.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:40 AM

I've seen a bunjee attached to the end pin, worn snugly around the neck, and then brought back down to the end pin ala a slip knot. Effective.

Well wishes for a speedy recovery. And hey, there's always the mouth harp.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:18 AM

Don't worry about it. I broke my shoulder in 3 places about 15 years ago. I still have the plate and 9 screws in there. I lost the ability to open my hand for several weeks because of radial nerve damage. and couldn't lift my arm at all for several weeks. Once you get some movement back, get to physio and do as much exercise on that arm and shoulder as you can.

Because of my injury, I stopped playing guitar for about two years because of the pain. Looking back, that was a stupid decision on my part. I got most of my movement back except some arm rotation on my fretting arm/hand. If I would have kept playing guitar, it would have helped get a bit more rotation back. I can still play but I lost about 3-5 degrees of rotation and so my hand gets tired sooner than it should. You might try a light dumbbell, using it to twist your arm as fully as possible so it helps get that rotation back to where it should be.

So, take heart, all is not lost by any means!

NOTE: My recovery was better and faster than many others I was told. Being a window cleaner and self-employed, I worked even while I had my sling on and was told my faster recovery must have been because I was using my hands as much as possible. That's why I recommend doing as much with it as possible right from the start. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:57 AM
Charter Member

I've never broken my shoulder, but I have had surgery on both sides. Make sure you work with a good physical therapist and do your exercises at home. You'll be back in shape in no time and probably won't feel any issues from the surgery.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2017, 06:20 AM

First, sorry for your troubles. I've had some experience with broken stuff and hardware and full healing can take quite a while.

I'm not sure you will need to worry about the strap. It's possible it will be a non-problem down the road.

If it is there are lots of solutions. Worst case might be a tall stool - obviously not your choice, but not the end of the world compared to not playing.

I suspect you could also get a custom strap made (padding?) that would put the weight of the guitar on more solid parts of your shoulder.

In the mean time be dedicated to your PT routine and hang in there.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-03-2017, 06:50 AM

I crashed on my road bike in April. I was lucky it was on my right side and wasn't a huge worry about guitar straps.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I had a total replacement of my left shoulder. After It had healed completely, I was able to use a strap without a problem.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHD35 View Post
I had a total replacement of my left shoulder. After It had healed completely, I was able to use a strap without a problem.
Stephen: Not to derail the thread, but how is that working out for you? Do you have complete movement again or are there some restrictions with the replacement shoulder?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne8 View Post
I broke my left shoulder and after surgery I have a plate and screws right where a guitar strap would be. I'm worried that I won't be able to use a strap on that shoulder. It will be several weeks before I'm out of this sling and cleared to use my left arm for anything.

Any right handed folks wear a strap on your right shoulder (or left handed on left shoulder)? Is it stable? Or are there any specialty straps out there that would help me? I will try the left shoulder when the time comes but if it doesn't work I'd like to already have some idea of an alternative.
Check out Freddie King. Strap on rt. shoulder. Do your exercises.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:22 PM

If you can find any videos of young Elvis (right handed, acoustic, usually Martin, sometimes Gibson), he often performed wearing the strap around his right shoulder and across his chest. His reasoning was, it was easier to ditch the guitar to do his "dance", then quickly recover the guitar and continue playing. Also, during the '70s, some rockers were using a belt-type strap with the solid body electrics. I don't know how well that would work with an acoustic, and I haven't seen one for years, but it's a thought. Also, many old time folk singers attached the strap to the headstock. Maybe that would work.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:26 PM

Default strapped

Bad break, heal well.

If it causes you a problem, you can try tying the strap to the head behind the nut and see if that helps. Or abandon the strap (unless you always play standing) and use something to raise your left knee to put you into a "classical" kind of pose.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:30 PM

Thanks guys!
Fender GDP100 Parlor
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

If you use a small body guitar (a good idea with a recoerving shoulder) you could use a mandolin strap around your neck ala Willie Nelson style.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-02-2017, 08:18 PM

Coulda classical strap work with a Martin dread?

Last edited by rdeane; 10-02-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: clarification

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion