The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 08:11 AM

Default NGD: '08 Gibson 1937 Legend L-00

I'll snap some photos this evening, but I snagged this guitar online last week and it arrived on Saturday.

I was originally intending to get a 'cheaper' guitar so I could retire my Circa OM (Mad RW / Adirondack) from it's church gig. Well, it was cheaper than the Circa, but about double what I was originally intending on spending (hence those two amps I sold over the weekend on here ). But after having this guitar in hand over the weekend I'm glad I got it.

Not sure how these compare with your typical Gibson acoustic, but I think this guitar is very well built, and sounds fantastic. The guitar appears to have been well cared for, and aside from being dusty and needing a polishing, I can not find any dents, dings, etc. It was in perfect tune when I pulled it out of the case the first time.

It has an Adirondack top, mahogany back and sides, hide glue construction, etc. It has cloth coverings inside the soundbox, I guess covering the ribs around the sides. Not sure what those are for. Gibson's website says the fretboard and bridge are rosewood. Other places I have read have said that they are Madagascar rosewood. Since this guitar was built in '08 maybe that's true, I've heard that MadRW has been scarce in more recent years.

The neck on this thing is a fat V-neck. Wasn't sure about that at first, but after playing it all weekend I find it very comfortable.

Nice vintage sunburst, a first for me on an acoustic. Not as big and bright as what you see on Gibson's current L-00 standard, but not as small and dark as what is on their current Vintage L-00 model.

Anyway, sonically this guitar sounds just as nice as my OM, in its own way. More woody and punchy. The trebles sound pretty amazing coming off this, bright and clear, but not harsh or brittle. Bass is solid, not as enveloping as my OM, but punchy. It doesn't feel lacking there at all.

Came with a nice case - red line around the top edge, which I am finding out is a repro of a vintage case, and very cool purple lining.

I picked up a KK Mini with Vintage Jack (so I don't have to ream out the endpin hole) that I'll put in soon, sometime before next practice. I was able to get the old endpin removed - previous owner had it glued in (or maybe it came from the factory that way) - rubber tubing to protect the pin, and a pair of pliers to apply some gentle pressure.

Only thing that doesn't appear stock are the bridge pins - previous owner must have changed them out to white. All the photos online I've seen of this model are with black bridge pins. Can anyone recommend a good source for replacement bridge pins, preferably bone or walrus ivory or something like that that I can get dyed black or very dark?

Also, the pins it has a slotted - do I need to get slotted replacement pins? or can I get solid ones? My Circa has solid FWI pins, but it came that way so maybe it's made for them.

thanks!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:47 AM

Gibson Legend - nice build, nice guitar. Get slotted pins. Enjoy it long and well !
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM

Congrats! I'd love to get my hands on one of those Looking forward to some pics!
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
Gibson Legend - nice build, nice guitar. Get slotted pins. Enjoy it long and well !
Can I get replacements from Gibson, or can you recommend a good source for the pins
Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 AM

Congrats!
2008 was a wonderful year for Gibson.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedimasterPaul View Post
Can I get replacements from Gibson, or can you recommend a good source for the pins
Bob Collossi. http://www.guitarsaddles.com
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 08-01-2017, 07:48 AM

Here's a few pics

Old 08-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Nice .. Congrats
Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 AM

Beautiful - I love it! Congrats!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Guest 1928

The best, period correct style pins are Antique Acoustics. I prefer solid pins and a slotted bridge, but they sell both in several styles. I get mine from Elderly.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
The best, period correct style pins are Antique Acoustics. I prefer solid pins and a slotted bridge, but they sell both in several styles. I get mine from Elderly.

Thanks! I looked and found the set of black pins for this model, since it's supposedly an exacting remake of a 1937 l-00, I can order the set of black slotted pins for that model

Just curious if you know what those pins are made of? Dyed bone?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Guest 1928

Antique Acoustics pins are all plastic, but all plastic is not created equal. I use these in all my vintage Martins if the original pins are not present. IMO they are the best on the market, and preferable to bone, fossil ivory, etc. due to the lower weight.

This directly from Willi Henkes at Antique Acoustics.

Ivory (off white) and black pins are Galalith.
The cream pins are polyester, nearly as hard but also lighter.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Antique Acoustics pins are all plastic, but all plastic is not created equal. I use these in all my vintage Martins if the original pins are not present. IMO they are the best on the market, and preferable to bone, fossil ivory, etc. due to the lower weight.

This directly from Willi Henkes at Antique Acoustics.

Ivory (off white) and black pins are Galalith.
The cream pins are polyester, nearly as hard but also lighter.
Thanks - I ordered a set of the black Gibson pins for the 32-41 L-00 guitars
Old 08-01-2017, 02:23 PM

I had a 2007 of this guitar. To be honest it's the one I think about the most which I've sold. So woody and easy to play...
Old 08-03-2017, 12:40 PM

...drool....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion