The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2003, 09:33 PM

Default Which effects for acoustic guitar?

My acoustic amp (AER compact 60) has a built in reverb and chorus. Aside from these, which effects do you guys normally use with your Taylors? I'm not looking for any particular sound, I'm just having fun and experimenting with my Taylors.

By the way I have the 614CE and 710 CE ltd, both with ES.

Last edited by Sage97; 09-24-2003 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 PM

one I have seen mentioned is delay. I personally dont use an amp very often, so I cant be more specific, sorry.
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 09-25-2003, 02:54 AM

Analog delay and compression..... if I want to get silly - multi-tap delay....

2001 Collings CJ-A mahogany
2010 Taylor GS Mini
1995 Taylor GA-WS Ltd
2000 Taylor 512-CEFB (Taylor Custom Shop NAMM-Show)
1999 Taylor 355-12 String
1999 Larrivee Parlour (mahogany)
because of GAS - way too many electrics to list
oh yeah, I almost forgot - an ancient Ovation Balladeer for camping trips.

De Colores!
Old 09-25-2003, 04:31 AM

I used to have that Zoom effects box which was able to produce 24 different kinds of effects (and even doubled up as a tuner). But after using it for a while, I passed it on to a friend for one simple reason...I found that no effect could match up to the natural tone of the guitar. I loved the "woody" tone, and that was what made me love guitars so deeply in the first place. So, yeah...no more effects for me. At least not for now.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:14 AM

I have a Boss ME-50 that I use with my Taylor. Usually I use the chorus and perhaps some delay.

Once at church I used the wah.

A unit like this is really overkill for an acoustic, but keep ion mind that I also use it for the Les Paul - the distortion and overdrive settings on this thing are fantastic!
Old 09-25-2003, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by troubleman
Analog delay and compression..... if I want to get silly - multi-tap delay....
Am I being narcissistic in quoting myself?

For solo acouctic gigs - guitar into a "tc Electronics Parametric EQ + Sustain" compressor, then to an ancient Maestro Echoplex, then to an SWR California Blonde, which has a built in spring reverb. The Echoplex kinda fattened things up when its just guitar and voice.

2001 Collings CJ-A mahogany
2010 Taylor GS Mini
1995 Taylor GA-WS Ltd
2000 Taylor 512-CEFB (Taylor Custom Shop NAMM-Show)
1999 Taylor 355-12 String
1999 Larrivee Parlour (mahogany)
because of GAS - way too many electrics to list
oh yeah, I almost forgot - an ancient Ovation Balladeer for camping trips.

De Colores!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Well, I used to use a bit of chorus and such.

Nothing but the slightest touch of reverb now. I'm thinking pretty clean is the way to go for acoustic stuff (at least for the sort of stuff I've been playing).
Old 09-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Bit Flipper

Touch of chorus, smidgen of 'verb, and I think about turning the limiter a hair above zero.
2003 Taylor 110, "Credo"
2003 Taylor Baby Mahogany, "Lucy"
2005 Washburn C104SCE
Old 09-25-2003, 07:48 AM

I must admit one of my attractions to going acoustic in recent months , well a year now, was to simplify my floor package from electric only. That said my floor right now has the following pedals on it , Boss tuner, volume pedal, Boss Looper for playing chords spontaneously along with myself , then add compression and delays for recording and use the on board alexis delay when playing live through the Ultrasound. So Im good to go here with not a whole lot , fact is for just picking amplified only the Ultrasound is necessary with the ES models I own as they have volume knobs. So I guess I have simplified after all .

If your amp is not transparent sounding you will need compression and delay to give you a real lively acoustic sounding amplified guitar IMO

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 09-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

wanna get wild? send your signal through a zvex seek wak -- these little boxes are essentially sequential envelope filters (6 in all i think) that let you adjust each parameter, giving you limitless possibilities for rhythms -- not for the purist, mind you....
Old 09-25-2003, 10:04 AM

Stixx: Can you tell me more about the Ultrasound amp? I read up on them at their website, but I doubt I'll find one locally to try. I'm planning to run my Taylors into an AG-Stomp and then into a PA. What is the advantage of the Ultrasound over the PA? Thank you. Dan.
Taylor:K65CE;GSMC;XXX-BE;818e.Gibson: Sheryl Crow, '59 LP, Flamed 335; Froggy F-12& Dread. Martin D-41;Anderson: Crowdster and Cobra Tele.Parker: Mojo Bubinga.Suhr: Mary Kaye and Butterscotch T;PRS:Custom 24 10 Top; SC; 513 10 Top;DGT; Paul's Guitar; Studio Ten Top. Hamer: Talladego. Epi :Lennon Rev;Fender:'62 J Bass, '65 AVRI, '76 Strat, 50th Ann. Strat, '62 Jazz .
Old 09-25-2003, 10:49 AM

Default flanger

i think everyone has mentioned the standard acoustic effects. one of the effects i discovered on electric and brought over to my acoustic is the flange.

it's great for slower strummed songs.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 09-25-2003, 11:08 AM

i use absolutely nothing, 714--->Tuner--->Amp...I've been doing this for years, never needed anything!
Old 09-25-2003, 01:00 PM

Stixx: Can you tell me more about the Ultrasound amp? I read up on them at their website, but I doubt I'll find one locally to try. I'm planning to run my Taylors into an AG-Stomp and then into a PA. What is the advantage of the Ultrasound over the PA? Thank you. Dan.

+Well if the new ones are any better than my old one I got used I could not stand it LOL But they are and they have more features that we all want . I talked to the engineer at the factory and he was very helpful.

This company is customer oritented in spaces . They will help you make the right decision on which one you want . On this Forum talke to ''Doc" and he will help you as well . But surfice it to say they are very good transparent source of amplification for Taylors prior to and including ES system powered guitars. I think my Fishman sounds incredible through it with little or no outsice effects and it has a loop for those I might wish to add later.
also the fifty watter I have has a second cab that is just another f50 watt slave amp to give seperation and addition sound . Very cool stuff. The new ones they are selling on the internet now and some local outlets as well have new modern covering and a few more features that you would like . I hope to get one of the new ones soon myself and that way I could leave one hooked up in the studio and have one just to take to gigs. I am doing a wedding in October and will be a shake down for the little fifty to see if it can cut a room the size of an atrium whatever that is . I wlll have a backup pa in the truck in case but I think it will be plenty with the extra cab.

As for my opiinion i like it . A LOT

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 09-26-2003, 07:59 AM

You can use any effects you want. Personally, I'll use a compressor and delay...
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification