The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Default [Deleted Thread]

[Deleted Thread]

Last edited by Guest 4711; 12-24-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM

well the saddle did not change did it? should not be the issue. You said it played ok at first then started to buzz. where does it buzz? lower like 7 frets or so and not in the upper. if so it is very possible the neck settled in a bit more after the rod was adjusted and now a bit too straight.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM

Check the tuners to see if everything is tight and that the string ends aren't causing the buzz.

From the headstock, sight down the neck. Is it completely flat from nut to 5th or 7th fret or is there some relief (bow)? Loosen the trust rod 1/8 turn and sight down the neck again. Is there more relief? Has the bussing stopped?

Good luck
Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randers View Post
I checked all the frets to make sure they were level with each other and they are.
Hmmm...when you say " checked all the frets to make sure they were level with each other " what exactly did you do ?

Did you use a fret rocker, did you use a straight edge, did you survey all the frets between the 1st and the 20th, or did you check between the 1st and the 14th ?

Did you do your fret survey with the strings on and tuned up to concert pitch ?

If so, how much relief did you measure at the 7th fret ?

All these measurements are relevant ...
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Hmmm...when you say " checked all the frets to make sure they were level with each other " what exactly did you do ?

Did you use a fret rocker, did you use a straight edge, did you survey all the frets between the 1st and the 20th, or did you check between the 1st and the 14th ?

Did you do your fret survey with the strings on and tuned up to concert pitch ?

If so, how much relief did you measure at the 7th fret ?

All these measurements are relevant ...
I took a flatedge rule and placed it on the 10th fret down. And the buzzing really is notices with a strum an E minor chord..
Old 04-30-2013, 07:39 PM

So after playing it for about half an hour I have figured out what is making it sound buzzzzzy but certainly have not diagnosed the problem. It happens whenever I strum an open string hard, or when I don't apply the strongest force possible on the frets. Its just so odd because I have never gotten that buzz before... I might take it in this week to rather replace the saddle, or adjust the rod again
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Randers - you should definitely take it back to the fellow who adjusted it in the first place. My guess is that he either over-tightened the truss rod, or that he didn't quite tighten it enough to begin with...

Your saddle did NOT all of a sudden "go bad"... don't replace that because of this issue... if you have any friends who are knowledgeable about acoustic guitars, give them a call and have them take a look at the guitar, or maybe go with you to the shop where it was adjusted...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair