The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 PM

Default Your Opinion - Ovation Guitars

Years and years ago, I played with a buddy who had an Ovation 1111-4 Balladeer guitar. Straight acoustic, no electronics. I kept thinking it was a good sounding guitar the whole time we hung out together, playing for our supper in small clubs and road houses in the San Joaquin Valley and up near Waterford.

My question, or request, is your opinion of these made on Connecticut guitars, circa 1970's. Good, bad, indifferent? Worth buying if in good condition?

Thanks for your input!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Unhappy

Definitely worth buying, if maintained. Very nice sound... Very playable neck.. Well made. I owned a 1974 Custom Balladeer. Only 2 concerns... If you play sitting down, they have a tendancy to slide off your knee... Also, many older ones develop a crack in the top if not properly humidified due to the different expansion rate of the wood vs. the bowl. Great guitars!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 PM

i like them. imo, you should either find one with the belly cut that prevents the git from sliding around.
Colt "1991" 1911
GSG 1911-22
Custom AR-15
Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Thank you, gentlemen.

I believe I have the slippin' git problem figured out.

I'm doing some research on what one in good condition is worth.

I appreciate the input!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 AM

Well, when my belly meets it's belly it is like to sumo wrestlers going at it! LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 AM

Can't stand the things.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 AM

I remember discovering them in College thinking they were the coolest looking guitars ever. Just never really managed to bond with the sound... At the end of the day though, I think many of us here on this forum have a tendency to focus more on our guitars rather than songwriting (I think), which is what really makes you stand out as a musician. When I meet a lot of young performers these days playing live they don't even know what kind of guitar they have, probably 90% of them play Takamines and just because it's the cheapest brand with sunbursts .
Old 06-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Charter Member

I had one for more than 30 years (until I gave it to a good friend last week) and mine was wonderful. The old American-made guitars were excellent... very playable, well-made, great necks, very solid, a comfortable size. I played mine a bunch and it still looked and sounded fantastic.

I solved the slippery back problem long ago... I always used a strap.

I don't care much for today's Ovations, and none of them get much love here, but the old ones were very nice guitars.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:57 AM

Generally great playability, great sound when plugged in.
Great salad bowl when unplugged
Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 AM

The thread title is confusing. Is the OP asking about Ovations or Guitars?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 AM

Just picked up an Ovation Celebrity to have something decent that I can just leave out on a guitar stand and not worry too much about it.

The built in tuner means there's always one readily available when needed (which so far, surprisingly, isn't too often) and after a proper setup, it plays as easily as my Martin. It's a mid-depth bowl so at least in my case, there's no slipping problem. I usually use a strap as well. The mid-depth gives it some punch but it'll never be mistaken for my Martin.

Plugged in it's a different guitar. I've started to do some recording with it and initial results seem to indicate that it's going to work out VERY well for that.

All in all, very happy with it. Overall, I'd say at least an 8 out of 10.

Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FG830
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I never gave them much thought until I took a lesson from the legendary jazz guitarist Pat Martino back in the 70's.

He was playing the one he used on, at that time, his most recent album. It was outfitted with nylon strings and running through a batch of processors but the initial tone was outstanding.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 AM

At the risk of being the president of the "Mr. Obvious" club, Ovation threads here often, if not always, are powder-kegs. The truth is people buy (and I use the word "buy" here specifically) for all sorts of reasons. Some for purely romance notions. For instance as a kid I romanced the notion of singing cowboys and the two most visible were Roy and Gene. Both were the personification of Martin guitars. I lived in the hills of Topanga Canyon and in the late 60's (down at what is now Will Greer theater) there was Neil Young and Joni Mitchell, Gram Nash and Stills and a host of others playin free gigs and the notion of Martin guitars burned even deeper.

Although I love Ovation guitars and will forever kick myself for not buying (from a friend) a little parlor sized Ovation, many here see them as a harsh departure from whatever romantic notions they hold about guitars. Any guitar manufacturer who departs too far from the notion/norm usually gets poo-poo'd around here. The fact that Ovations don't adhere to traditional woods, which of course then eliminates endless romantic discussions about the overtones of rosewood or the dryness of mahogany (hog) or the magic mojo of Brazilian takes the fun out of it for some. I also suspect in that same cocoon many, many hear with their eyes. Looking at that big, round, synthetic back of an Ovation is often enough to send some folks into a pre-conceived sonic hell even if (clearly) the guitar doesn't warrant that perception. Of course the opposite can be said as many absolutely lose control when they see my 1966 Martin with Brazilian back and sides. Still ironically my absolute worse sounding guitar and if it weren't for the fact my daddy bought me that guitar I'd of sold it YEARS ago. Yet more proof that many hear with their eyes.

That said and in the end I've played many Ovations over the years that from a playability and sonic perspective were every bit as good as anything else on the market in their price range. They are decidedly good sounding, consistent guitars and I'd match a good Adamas against any guitar on the market for great sonics, including my Martin.

I think they're very, very cool guitars and if you dig it I hope you don't fall for others negative, pre-conceived notions of what a guitar must be.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
At the risk of being the president of the "Mr. Obvious" club, Ovation threads here often, if not always, are powder-kegs. The truth is people buy (and I use the word "buy" here specifically) for all sorts of reasons.............

That said and in the end I've played many Ovations over the years that from a playability and sonic perspective were every bit as good as anything else on the market in their price range. They are decidedly good sounding, consistent guitars and I'd match a good Adamas against any guitar on the market for great sonics, including my Martin.

I think they're very, very cool guitars and if you dig it I hope you don't fall for others negative, pre-conceived notions of what a guitar must be.
Sorry, took the liberty of editing you post for readability.

Well said.

As I stated, my O wouldn't be mistaken sonically for my Martin but, then again, it's not supposed to. It's different. I wouldn't want all my guitars to sound the same anyway. If they did, what's the point in having a collection of them? Each is a tool, unique unto itself for it's sonic qualities.

The fact that they use unconventional materials and design are what attracted me to them initially. I've never been one that completely conforms to convention so it seems a natural match.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FG830
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Guest 429

Absurdly despised guitars...and like a lot of brand-bashing, frequently (but not always) disparaged to "prove" something about the basher.

In my experience some of the best guitars plugged-in live I've heard.

Not a huge Kaki King fan, but somehow she manages to make do... yeah with a high end Ovation. But the truth is, and I've been there just listening in the audience with lower end Ovations played on the stage...the tonal complexity and low end of "better guitars"...easily lost or more commonly EQd to jockey for importance with vocals...no thanks.

I recall at least one video of Johnny Marr playing an Ovation for "Big Moth Strikes Again" during a concert....maybe Madrid in the late 80's.

Salad bowl refs and "falls off my lap" stuff aside, I think Ovations challenge how "great" tonal complexity really is, how necessary it is, especially for doing popular music....and this makes people "more knowlegeable," disdainful...and angry.

And BTW, how "lousy" they sound unplugged is a a lot of nonsense.

I more typically (not always) associate foaming-at-the-mouth extremes of putting them down...with so-so guitar players.

Last edited by Guest 429; 06-01-2012 at 09:00 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion