The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2003, 07:32 PM

Default The Right Strings

I am a new acoustic owner. (Taylor 110). I want to buy the right strings for my guitar. I was hoping that you will help me. I love playing Dave Matthews type songs and would like a sound like that from my strings. Could someone please reply with a recommended brand and guage for me...
Old 06-25-2003, 07:36 PM

i've seen the 110 do well with light gauge strings vs. the mediums that come on it. Lowered the action a little, but no buzz.
Blueridge BG-140
Old 06-25-2003, 08:42 PM

Unless you tune down an octave, like some folks do. Fortunately for you, your new Taylor 110GB came with a Truss Rod tool so you can make adjustments to the neck to comply with the new strings. Aint Uncle Bob grand?
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 06-25-2003, 09:15 PM

could you explain that tool it came with. I know what it can do but what is it good for as far as sound and action...
Old 06-25-2003, 10:00 PM

I play Dave Matthews music too...I like Elixir Nanoweb's (lights) or the D'Addario EXP16. They both feel great and last quite a while.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by t_ellis
could you explain that tool it came with. I know what it can do but what is it good for as far as sound and action...
There is a tech sheet that came with your guitar, or should have I guess, that will explain all about the truss rod adjustments and how to use that little tool. If you didn't get it try this link
http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/...adjustment.pdf

In a nut shell, the truss rod will adjust the amount and direction of the bow in the neck, this can either place the neck closer to the strings or farther away from the strings, making it easier or harder to play, and increasing or reducing buzzing. The tech sheet explains it alot better than I can. After all they are the pros.

As for the strings, I second EnFuego on the Elixer Nano's, but if your are just getting started the Elixer Poly's are a little easier on the fingers in my opinion because of the white slippery coating.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion