The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 AM

Default Decent A.G around $500?

Hi all,

I am in Melbourne, Australia.

Looking to buy a 6 string Dreadnaught (pref cutaway style) for around $500.00AUS

Could probably stretch a bit more. Up to say $600 at a pinch.

Can anyone recommend anything decent & good stores around Melbourne?

Just a good basic acoustic with low action and preferably something a bit dainty & not the size of a hot air ballon.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 AM

Maybe one of the LAG models perhaps ?

Any thoughts on them ? http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/cs...004017470.html

Price seems right, nice looking and rather svelt compared to others.

What about the quality though?

I'm getting really sick & tired of guitars (both electric & acoustic) with sharp, rough, unfinished fret ends and way high action.

Action is not so much an issue with my strats, but not much leeway with an acoustic so that is really a decider for me as I like the action really super low.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

I don't know what is available down under, but fret issues and way high action can be easily solved with a good set-up. I like action that is so low it almost buzzes... but, it isn't an issue when buying a guitar because the first thing I'm gonna do is have it set up. Buy what sounds good and have it done completely to your liking.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Action on all my previous acoustics has been awful and being acoustic, not much to play with to fix it unlike an electric. Don't fancy having to file down saddles or re-seat necks although I have done in the past.

Plus the fact my local guitar tech charges $150 for a fret dress/setup. I was at least hoping to find something with decent action and properly finished fret ends.

Funny thing was, I bought a cheap ($50) guitar from an ALDI store and the action was great!

I leant it to a friend to learn on and never saw it again !

So kinda hoping for around $500-$600 I'd get something playable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion