The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2012, 02:24 PM

Default Zero Fret - Retro Fit?

I'd like to have a zero fret guitar. Is it possible to convert an existing instrument?

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 01-29-2012, 02:59 PM

In order to convert to a zero fret you need to re position the nut farther away from the bridge. This will probably involve making a new nut, and that's the easy bit. If you are a confidant woodworker it is possible but not easy. Personally I like a zero fret but I have never bothered to convert guitars that aren't. There are a lot of people on this forum who think they are the devil's spawn.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 AM

Thanks Stanron. I have a cheap but good LAG guitar that I can afford to experiment with (I want a soundport as well).

I wouldn't do the work myself. There are a couple of good luthiers around but I wanted to know if it's feasible before approaching them.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 AM

It's feasible but a heck of a lot of work for a result which will only affect the sound of open strings. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 AM

I have used several guitars for semi pro gigs; all of which I have had to constantly retune (usually 2nd string). It struck me that making all the strings fretted might help. I was impressed with the intonation of a Sanden guitar I played at the London Guitar Show. It had a zero fret.

I am also detuning the LAG by a tone to suit my vocal range and it exascerbates the issue - tuning strings open translates to out-of-tune fretted ones.

I've ordered heavier strings and will try a wound second.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 AM

Changing to a zero fret sounds like more work then it is worth, there may not be room either. I leave an eighth inch behind it and before the nut, this moves the whole scale down the neck a bit. I do love them though.
Raystrack, sounds like you may need a compensated nut if you can hear stuff out. One trick that may help is tune with a capo on the second fret and see if it helps. String compensation deals with the sharping effect of the bending string as it is pressed down, but on the open strings nothing bends so nothing sharps, and that is what we tune to, so we start out a little out of whack.
Tuning down will not help the problem unless you get the guitar intonated to that tuning.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
I have used several guitars for semi pro gigs; all of which I have had to constantly retune (usually 2nd string). It struck me that making all the strings fretted might help. I was impressed with the intonation of a Sanden guitar I played at the London Guitar Show. It had a zero fret.

I am also detuning the LAG by a tone to suit my vocal range and it exascerbates the issue - tuning strings open translates to out-of-tune fretted ones.

I've ordered heavier strings and will try a wound second.
It seems bizarre that only the 2nd strings needed regular retuning. The first thing I would check is if the nut slot for the 2nd strings were too narrow, causing binding.

Also, a zero fret conversion is pretty problematic since you'd have to put an extension on the fingerboard to allow the zero fret to be placed. Well installed original frets won't need any glue, but the 3-4mm fingerboard extension likely wouldn't allow for this, since after gluing the extension the installation of the fret could wedge the glue joint out of place. Of course, you could mitigate this snag in a number of ways, but it just doesn't seem to me to be a very wise plan. A well made bone nut should be enough.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 AM

[QUOTE=Raystrack;2918258]...I was impressed with the intonation of a Sanden guitar I played at the London Guitar Show. It had a zero fret.[QUOTE]

Your mention of Sanden led me to the company's site where I found this beautiful music. Too bad there's no U.S. out let for these. I'd like to try one as I also have trouble with ear's sensitivity to G and B string intonation.

I also just found a few articles about Sanden's "True Temperament" fret system and wondered: does it work when a capo is used?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 02-04-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 AM

Just to update - I've had the zero fret fitted and am very pleased with the resulting tonal balance. I'm now trying to get the guitar dutuned a tone to suit my voice and will be cutting a soundport.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 AM

Hello,
Just for future reference (and because I would love to hear a review if someone tries it) Gold Tone http://www.zeroglide.com/ is now selling an aftermarket zero fret install taylored for a number of different instruments. Claimed to be "easy" install. No $$ interest. Fare well, db
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
Hello,
Just for future reference (and because I would love to hear a review if someone tries it) Gold Tone http://www.zeroglide.com/ is now selling an aftermarket zero fret install taylored for a number of different instruments. Claimed to be "easy" install. No $$ interest. Fare well, db
Great idea, until you have to dress it
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro
Old 04-27-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
Hello,
That's funny because as I first started reading this thread that's exactly what popped into my head, or something similiar. Of course it's a doable job, almost anything you can conceive in your mind can be engineered.

Zero frets get a bad rap IMO. They are always associated with a cheap guitar. I remember when I saw Sean Lane play on a guitar with a zero fret I knew there had to be something more to it then cheap guitars. I'm building a Selmer now and they traditionally have zero frets.

It's not all about the action either, a good luthier or repair person can get you the same action as a zero fret but why have an open bone or plastic sound when all your other notes are on metal?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 AM

Can't comment on the zero fret , although these are used by a number of high end UK luthiers. I play in a range of open turnings and where retuning I will always return to the 5th string (2nd high) as it often needs a little extra attention after adjusting the other stings.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Howell View Post
Can't comment on the zero fret , although these are used by a number of high end UK luthiers. I play in a range of open turnings and where retuning I will always return to the 5th string (2nd high) as it often needs a little extra attention after adjusting the other stings.
Yes, that B string is always a bugger. The G isn't much better.

I agree that the zero fret should be dismissed out of hand. Theoretically it makes a lot of sense. Sanden guitars use them and they're not cheap and sound darned good.

I wouldn't mind trying out the zeroglide but I'd do it on an older guitar first.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair