The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 AM

Default What model Yamaha FG do you have?

What model FG series Yamaha do you have and what do you have to say about it? TBH, I'm more interested in earlier models (60s & 70s), but go ahead if you have a more recent model and you want to speak about it.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 08-06-2011, 12:09 PM

I'm in the recent crowd with my FG-730S. I love it. Sounds great. I brought it in for a set-up and the guy working on it said it was built very well and it was an extremely easy set-up. Plays like a dream.

As for older FG's....

My coworker brought in his 1978 FG-331 to work for lunch time playing. I love it. all lam, but sounds great! plays real nice too. If he ever wants to sell it, I will be first in line for it.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 PM

I have the FG-335SB. Laminate spruce top, best as I can tell laminate nato back and sides, sunburst finish. Bought it new in '84 when my prized Tamakine lawsuit dread was stolen from my car. It was all I could afford at the time. I can't tell you it's the finest sounding guitar on the planet but I have taken that thing to beaches, up mountains, winter camping - the works - and it's like the Energizer bunny of acoustic guitars. It's still, to this day, my sole acoustic though I'm presently actively shopping for a new one which will most likely be a Martin (old or new). It sounds better than you might expect with my equally ancient Lawrence magnetic soundhole PUP. You could gig anywhere with it and I pretty much have. We all love the beautiful sounding solid wood axes but my FG-335SB is like a MIM Strat - if you can't gig anywhere in the world with it, Brother, it ain't the guitar.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:25 PM

I have a FG460-12SA. Great 12 string. Easy to play.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM

I have an FG-110 Red Lable that I bought new in Okinawa, Apr 1970, $35 case included. I guess that makes it a vintage

It is solid wood, not laminate and there is a slight bow in the neck giving it a rather high action above the 5-6 fret, truss rod is as tight as it will go. I am going to loosen the strings for a couple of weeks, with 50% humidity and see if it will relax.

Great strummer/outdoor git.

Bwana
Old 08-06-2011, 01:07 PM

FG-420-12. I believe it's an all laminate 12 string that I bought new in 1989. Played it as my only acoustic for 10 years. I still have it and it's still in great shape (except fret wear) but don't play it anymore.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
I have an FG-110 Red Lable that I bought new in Okinawa, Apr 1970, $35 case included. I guess that makes it a vintage

It is solid wood, not laminate and there is a slight bow in the neck giving it a rather high action above the 5-6 fret, truss rod is as tight as it will go. I am going to loosen the strings for a couple of weeks, with 50% humidity and see if it will relax.

Great strummer/outdoor git.

Bwana
Sounds a good plan. Also, try taking off the truss rod nut and putting a washer or two underneath if you can. This may give the nut some nice clean threads to work on if friction was previously the problem. But not if the rod was simply just as tight as it will go. So tread carefully. Lube those threads as well. You could also place a couple of suitable chocs at the top and bottom of the fretboard coupled with a long, very stiff piece of wood or metal angle - a tie bar. That lot is strapped in place top and bottom, then put another strap (winds of rope) around the unsupported middle of the neck and the tie bar to pull the middle of the neck back in. Then, when you are ready - as you suggest after a few weeks, try tightening the truss rod some more while it is still in this position. You can also try a slight reduction in string gauge. Best of luck!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 08-06-2011, 01:19 PM

I'm liking these photos guys. Please keep them coming. So interesting to see folk's pics and their guitar 'stories'.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Good stuff. I don't have an FG (I have a LS6), but I'd love to know how many FG's are in closets, attics, basements etc. just gathering dust. I'm with steveyam, keep the photos and stuff coming.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:16 PM

I've got a '78 FG-340. I bought it in 1980 from a mate who had it from new, along with a hard case for £80 then.
I believe it to have laminate top and the 3-piece back.
It's had a bone nut & saddle fitted during a set up, and about 2 years ago a put brass pins on it. I mostly string it with d'Addario EJ15 PB Extra Lights.
Plays beautifully and sounds fabulous. It's warm and full-sounding, but the brass pins give it a real lift and brightness, but not harsh.
I don't have any photos to hand, but do need to take some (will try to do this next week) and will post when I have.

1978 Yamaha FG-340 fitted with Brass Pinz
2005 Seagull Coastline S12
2008 PRS SE Custom
2009 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard
2010 Fender FR-50 Resonator
Unidentified Parlour Guitar set up for slide
Old 08-06-2011, 02:54 PM

I have an FG730S with tobacco sunburst I bought 4 years ago this September (sorry, no pictures on the computer!). It wasn't my first acoustic or guitar in general, but I have a real soft spot for it. They are built solid, sound great and for the money are a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

I believe there's an FG730S club somewhere around here on the forum. The FGs get a lot of love on the AGF!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
Sounds a good plan. Also, try taking off the truss rod nut and putting a washer or two underneath if you can. This may give the nut some nice clean threads to work on if friction was previously the problem. But not if the rod was simply just as tight as it will go. So tread carefully. Lube those threads as well. You could also place a couple of suitable chocs at the top and bottom of the fretboard coupled with a long, very stiff piece of wood or metal angle - a tie bar. That lot is strapped in place top and bottom, then put another strap (winds of rope) around the unsupported middle of the neck and the tie bar to pull the middle of the neck back in. Then, when you are ready - as you suggest after a few weeks, try tightening the truss rod some more while it is still in this position. You can also try a slight reduction in string gauge. Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips. I'm afraid the truss rod is at its limit, but I am going to try the neck straightening with the stiff board.

Bwana
Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM

I have a mint condition 1985 Yamaha 450se. It is the one that has a dove on the headstock and has an under saddle pickup. It also has solid spruce top and laminated sides. It has a nice mellow tone to it.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM

I've had an FG 180 for decades - well at least since the early 70s. Sure it needs a neck set, but it's with my son so I don't see it very often.

f-d
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I have had many of them. My favorite is the 69-71 (they were made till 74) FG300 (the King of the Lams). The floating bridge is a unique design that produces a Honey of a tone.
The best 12 string IMO is the FG460s12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion