The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2003, 09:47 AM

Question Bone Saddle Question

I’m noticing several threads about folks replacing their standard saddles with bone. I’m assuming that the bone versions are not compensated, i.e. the 2nd string is not offset to improve intonation. Am I correct in assuming that the net result may improve the sound quality while negatively affecting intonation?
Taylor T5 C2 Koa
Tacoma C1C-E4
Martin 00-16C
Baby Taylor
Ultrasound Pro-200
Old 05-01-2003, 10:05 AM

The bone saddles purchased from First Quality Music Supply are compensated for the B string just like the standard tusq saddle. It's part number
GA3WPC. Intonation remains consistant with the tusq saddle.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:16 AM

I know this won't be a very popular reply, but don't assume bone will give you "better" tone. I know many think of it as an "upgrade" but to me bone is merely another option.

Yes, it will give you a little more sparkle/snap. Whether or not you will think your already bright sounding Taylor sounds better even brighter is a call you'll have to make yourself. I like the sound of a bone saddle and nut on my HD-28, but I prefer all my Taylors with Tusq. To my ears bone makes them sound a little too brittle.

Just another point of view.

Peace.

Doc
Old 05-01-2003, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc
To my ears bone makes them sound a little too brittle.
Funny, I have just the opposite reaction. It just goes to show that it's all relative.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mickeyt
The bone saddles purchased from First Quality Music Supply are compensated for the B string just like the standard tusq saddle. It's part number
GA3WPC. Intonation remains consistant with the tusq saddle.
A compensated bone saddle.....interesting! Thx
Taylor T5 C2 Koa
Tacoma C1C-E4
Martin 00-16C
Baby Taylor
Ultrasound Pro-200
Old 05-01-2003, 11:55 AM

Opposite reaction here too.. every guitar where I've replaced Tusq with bone (okay, okay.. it's only two guitars) has sounded more mellow, less brittle, and had more sustan than the Tusq.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:00 PM

I have never "not" had a bone saddle that wasn't compensated...it would strike me as odd that one wouldn't be.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Luthier

Lightbulb

compensating saddles is Very guitar specific. All of my saddles are comped for each guitar not one of them is exactly alike nor interchangealbe. This is a timely process but in most cases the results are well worth the effort. Just because the saddle looks comped does not mean it is comped for your guitar. Check your intonation with a good strobe and the facts will speak for themself.

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 05-01-2003, 03:12 PM

well...all I know is that mine needs to be replaced and so I went with bone. On a side note I was tlaking with John Mayes and he's going to fit my saddle and install a bone nut for me next week. I was going to install the saddle myself but I'd rather have my guitar play like a dream. Very cool!!!

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

-Gil Bailie
Old 05-01-2003, 03:23 PM

I tried a bone saddle in my 614ce and didn't like it. Seemed a little too "bright" to me. I do like it in my K14c though. It seemed to give that particular guitar a little "mellower" tone. Go figure! I guess it's up to individual taste and results may vary from guitar to guitar. The nice thing about trying a bone saddle is it's very inexpensive and you can always go back the the original Tusq if you don't like it.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 05-01-2003, 06:29 PM

When I added the bone saddle and nut I thought the guitar had better sustain and the notes stood out a little better. I also thought it provided a bit more bass.
Midnight Shadow
Old 05-02-2003, 03:42 AM

What midnight shadow said, with an emphasis that the stated effects were much more pronounced on mahogany and koa, less so on rosewood (EI and Braz). Add-on notes that used to be lost in the mix (strummed) stand out now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion