The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2009, 07:20 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.
Default Whatever happened to PRS acoustics?

Haven't heard a peep about these after the initial "unveiling" a few years back.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-19-2009, 07:23 PM

I haven't heard much either.

I know they're suppose to be high end makers and all but the price point seemed a little silly for a non mainly acoustic guitar maker.

Reputation goes a long way but I don't know if their place is the acoustic world. I guess that could also be said for Taylor electrics though.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:54 PM

I have two PRS electrics and follow their line to some degree. Paul Reed Smith was interviewed by Fox Business at his factory last month. He stated plainly that for the first time in his history that they had to lay people off. I think they are running with about half the factory in the dark.

Part of the interview alluded to the fact that his timing for releasing a high-end and pricely acoustic line-up could not have been worse; he sheepishly agreed.

I have not seen one, but no matter how good your name is, you have your work cut out for you when your price point is north of $5,000.00. There are a lot of known quality guitars that can be bought at those prices.

Collings CJ-Rosewood/Sitka Sunburst
Martin 000-18 12-Fret Custom Shop
Martin OM-John Mayer
Larrievee LV10 Koa Custom
Martin D-18V
Martin D28-12
Gibson ES-369
Gretsch--6120 Tiger Maple
Eastman 805CE Archtop
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

I saw one in my local shop....never had enough interest to pick it up and give it a strum though. No idea on the price point either....
Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

There is a lot of competition in the "higher" end production market. To come out at a price point that competes with customs and other well known small shops, they have some challenges.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:14 PM

It surprises me that on a forum like this, with so many people owning so many guitars...from inexpensive imports to very expensive one of a kind custom built guitars by builders turning out only a few a year, that I can't recall anybody noting that they own a PRS acoustic.
Has PRS sold one yet??

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 11-20-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM

Default A lot of it is hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Haven't heard a peep about these after the initial "unveiling" a few years back.
What we need to recognize is that with guitar magazines, just as with gun magazines, is that prototypes are shown and lovingly photographed and enthusiastic copy is written, mainly in the hopes of creating enough customer interest that retailers start placing enough orders to justify tooling up for production runs.

The publications cooperate with this buzz-building exercise because they need copy and cover photos to entice newstand readers to pick up and purchase the magazines. The guitar (and gun) manufacturers instigate as much of this as they can because they hope new models will result in new orders which will mean more business for them.

But just because Guitar World (or Guns & Ammo) devotes a lavish spread to

Paul Read Smith's Amazing New Acoustics!!

(or Ruger's New Double-Barreled Autoloader .45 ACP/.22 Rimfire!!),

that doesn't mean that there's actually a factory making them yet.

A lot of the guitar (and gun) business operates on the principle of "Let's run this up the flagpole and see whether anybody salutes..."

All too often, the public says:

"Hmmmm.....wonder what you'd use THAT for?"

And it goes no further.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton "I'm Waiting For A Paul Reed Smith .45 ACP With Fiddleback Maple Grips" Miller
Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Last year at the Martin owners gathering Chris Martin spoke and said that nobody was selling acoustic guitars at the $3000+ level in this current economic environment, and his competitors who had concentrated there were in big trouble.

They had moved production of lower end guitars from Mexico to keep the Nazareth plant from laying off workers since they did not want to lose the experienced luthiers when the turnaround comes...whenever that may be.

But all in all, 2009 was not a good year to be in the high-end acoustic guitar business, although there are probably a few very high end makers who are riding this out OK.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 11-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Ricky Scaggs signed on...pretty sure I saw an add in my Acoustic Guitar Magazine that arrived today!!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 PM

I've played two of them, one at NAMM at the unvailing in January, and Tony McManus' in Portland this summer. They were excellent. Big sound, very responsive.

Jenn
Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 AM

PRS failed on the acoustic scene because they were too ambitious.

Their acoustics (for which they have no reputation yet) are positioned higher than their electrics. Makes no sense to me as there's a limit to brand value. PRS is a nice brand, they make fine guitars -- but they're still accessible instruments.

If PRS sold acoustics in the same segment as their electrics (more expensive than average but still reasonably priced), I'd buy one. But not at the current asking price, no way.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
... They were excellent. Big sound, very responsive.

Jenn
Problem seems to be the same can be said about many guitars that cost less, built by more established builders like Martin, Taylor, SCGC, Collings, Goodall, Bourgeouis, etc, custom builders.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 11-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

In the last several years, several companies known for making acoustics have delved into the electric guitar market, including Taylor and Collings. PRS did the same in reverse. I don't think any of these guitars are flying off the shelves.

There is a bumper crop of guitars in all price ranges right now from the inexpensive offerings from Asia, to the age-old brands like Martin, Canadians, Europeans, to the highest of the high-end. The market can't sustain all of the choices that are out there right now and there will a market correction soon. PRS acoustics will most likely be one of the casualties of that correction. They never captured any market share or foothold.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
There is a lot of competition in the "higher" end production market. To come out at a price point that competes with customs and other well known small shops, they have some challenges.
I think you're right. It's the price point that is the problem for PRS. They've put themselves into a realm where beautiful woods, excellent construction, and killer sound are a given.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
It's the price point that is the problem for PRS. They've put themselves into a realm where beautiful woods, excellent construction, and killer sound are a given.
In addition, PRS is well into the price points for custom guitars. When you start talking about that kind of money for a guitar, you are then comparing a PRS production model to a custom guitar that you can spec out exactly as you want through an independent luthier.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion