The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2003, 10:59 PM

Default "Accidental" new Taylor owner

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to the forum and thought you might be interested in hearing how I found myself the proud owner of a brand new Big Baby only yesterday. When I woke up yesterday morning nothing could have been further from my mind than purchasing a shiny (well not quite) new Taylor guitar but here I am.

Back in November, since I already owned a steel string, I had a case of GAS for a classical guitar (I'm a relatively new guitarist, by the way) and somewhat impulsively, I purchased a La Patrie Presentation. After playing it for some time I wanted the action raised and when I tried to have it done, the technician found the truss rod to be defective so he sent it back to Godin. La Patries are made by the same company as Seagull guitars, for those who may not know. The guitar ended up being beyond repair so just this past Monday a brand new replacement showed up at the store. Without going into great detail I'll just say that the workmanship on this guitar was unacceptable and, consequently, I refused the guitar. I could get very long winded about this point but that's not the purpose of this post, so I'll cut to the chase.

Rather than take a chance on a third La Petrie, I got credit for what I paid for the guitar and went on a quest to find a replacement. Not having a classical guitar for a while calmed my GAS for one so after playing every steel string in the store that was reasonably close in price to the La Petrie I came across the Big Baby. When the salesman told me I'd only have to shell out $20 to cover the difference in price between the two, I was sold.

What a fabulous little guitar!!! The difference in quality (sound and craftsmanship) was truly unbelievable, although everyone reading this certainly knows what I'm talking about.

My only previous experience with Taylor guitars was when I was playing all the "high end" guitars in a store one day and came across a 614ce that still stands out in my mind as being one of the best I've ever played, keeping in mind my newbie status.

The fact that I purchased the Big Baby, having never seen or played one before yesterday, and coming into the store with no bias or preconceived notions toward Taylor guitars is, in my mind, a true testament to the quality of these instruments. I'm looking forward to many hours of enjoyment with this and, hopefully, other Taylor guitars.

Of course, now I have a bunch of questions which I'll save for later. Thanks for "listening".
Old 01-30-2003, 11:10 PM
Me

Welcome to the forum and congrats on one fine guitar.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:14 PM

what a great story. Let us know any questions you have any time. We seem to really enjoy handing out info here.
Old 01-31-2003, 12:02 AM

Congratulations, and welcome to the forum!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:34 AM

Great choice! I love my Big Baby too.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:59 AM

That was no accident. It was fate, meant to be, in the stars...

Welcome to the family of Taylorites.

"Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

Prior Friends: Martin D-15, Gibson J-45, Guild F-30R, Taylor 810 LTD, Martin SPD-16, Taylor 310, Fender D-22
Old 01-31-2003, 10:21 AM

"Hi, my name is Setchman, and I suffer from TAS"

It happens to the best of us.

'00 310e
'03 514es (next)
Old 01-31-2003, 10:28 AM

Congratulations on your first Taylor ( there will be more ).
Cordoba FCWE Gipsy King
Cordoba 20 Estudio

Arthur
Old 01-31-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Re: "Accidental" new Taylor owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Setchman
My only previous experience with Taylor guitars was when I was playing all the "high end" guitars in a store one day and came across a 614ce that still stands out in my mind as being one of the best I've ever played, keeping in mind my newbie status.
Welcome! Hey there are lots of non-newbies out here who also think the 614ce is one of the best guitars they've played. Of course, they also think that about that K14ce they played, that 710ce they played, that 414ce they played .... uhhh, you get the picture!!

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 01-31-2003, 07:03 PM

Default New "Baby"

I just happened to walk into a local guitar shop to look around. I certainly was NOT looking for a new guitar...besides, I've been playing bass for the past 10+ years. And there it was. A Taylor Big Baby. So I had to try it.

I bought it.

It's definately a true value for the price. I played on it for over an hour before pulling out the ol' credit card.

YeGads! Maybe I've caught the dreaded TAS. I thought I was just getting over the GAS...

Now I'm looking forward to some good home recording (my Martin never sounded that good).
Old 01-31-2003, 07:20 PM

Welcome to TGF. I agree. The BB is a great little guitar. Enjoy.
Guild A-150 Savoy, T-50 Slim
Reverend PA-1
Fender Std. Tele
2 Tele partcasters
Taylor 810-LTD, 314-MCE, 717-BE
Martin HD-35, D-18, 00-28, CEO-7, OM-28, 000-18, 00015-sm, M-36
Carr Rambler
Fender ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
Takamine 12-string
1966 Strat
1966 Ampeg Gemini I
1964 Kay archtop
Old 01-31-2003, 08:09 PM

Wink

Sure, it's a Baby now, in a few months a 400 series, in a year a 600 series. Bwa-ha-ha-ha you've been bitten.

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 01-31-2003, 09:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on you new Big Baby! I also believe the 614ce is one of the best guitars I ever played.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 01-31-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Full Disclosure...

Quote:
Originally posted by Countrybassman
Now I'm looking forward to some good home recording (my Martin never sounded that good).
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Full Disclosure: My other guitar is a Martin... But I do feel very comfortable disclosing that here knowing that it's all about the music, right? ... and no one here will pass judgment on my intelligence?

Seriously, I also have a 000-15S and it is a fabulous guitar. Everyone seems to agree that it's another one of those little "gems." Incredible bang for the buck.

The Big Baby is a totally different guitar to me, almost "opposite" sounding, in my opinion, so I feel that they both compliment each other. I also have a Traveler Guitar for ... well, traveling. It's a nice mix that will work well for me now, at least until I run across that 614ce again.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Full Disclosure...

Quote:
Originally posted by Setchman

Full Disclosure: My other guitar is a Martin... But I do feel very comfortable disclosing that here knowing that it's all about the music, right? ... and no one here will pass judgment on my intelligence?
Welcome to the Forum! The fact that you are here speaks volumes about your intelligence!

It is definitely all about the music! Except when it degenerates into politics, religion or pizza.

I'd love to have another Martin. just haven't found one I wanna buy lately.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion