The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Default I am shocked at Larivee

went to a larivee dealer today. i tried about 6 or 7 of their various models. i could not believe how much they are asking for these guitars. I am not kidding when i say they didn't impress me at all. my yamaha fg730s looks as good, sounds as good, plays as good, and is as well made for $xxx. No joke. maybe i happened to get a good one, but i swear i would put my yamaha up against any of the models i tried today. go ahead laugh.........

Last edited by rlouie; 09-05-2009 at 04:08 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 09-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Any takers?
Old 09-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I'm not really familiar with Yamaha or Larivee, but I'd love to hear response from Larivee owners.
Cole Clark Angel 2 BLBL Sunburst
Kronbauer TDK Mini Jumbo Macassar/Adi
Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM

No offense, because I know Yamaha makes some FINE instruments, however, there are plenty of reasons that the Larry's didn't meet your expectations, way too may for me to go into. There have been many threads like this, and honestly, I have no idea if you are trying to provoke an argument or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because there was a time I felt the same way until I had some hands on real world experience with Larrivee, as well as some more expensive boutique guitars. There is a very good reason Larrivee has the reputation it does, they are wonderful instruments for the money.

Enjoy your Yammy, I'm sure it's a great guitar.

ken
Old 09-05-2009, 02:41 PM

definately not trying to start an argument. i really wanted to lay my hands on an incredible instrument and be blown away, but instead i was really disappointed. now, with that said, i have played some martins that made my yamaha look like a joke. so i hope i dont come across as "yamaha is the best".

i forgot to mention that i played every epiphone masterbuilt they had and wasn't impressed with them either. and i really wanted to like them, but just didn't. i am starting to think i got an exception to the rule when i got my yamaha.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:41 PM

Trying to stay neutral here but I seriously doubt all 7 were dogs.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
they weren't dogs, its just that i didn't see what all the hype is about
Old 09-05-2009, 02:46 PM

It's all in what you desire in your guitars...

In my opinion, Larrivee makes an excellent guitar for the money. Maybe it doesn't float your boat, and that's OK! I've never owned a Larrivee, but if I were in the market for a guitar in it's price range, I would certainly consider one.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:48 PM

As we all know, price is no guide to whether a particular instrument or make of instrument is going to suit an individual's taste - and I think this thread demonstrates that very clearly (and that's actually the only thing it demonstrates).

Richard
Old 09-05-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
I don't think that anyone should be mad at the original poster...

I've had this experience before at music stores with Martins, Larivees, Taylors, you name the brand...

To me, a guitar has to jump out and say BUY ME!!!! BUY ME!!!!

That very rarely happens in our area.... but... when I go out of town... oh God knows I've found the perfect acoustic guitar OVER and OVER and OVER again... luckily, for my wife, we can never afford them...

"BUY ME!!! BUY ME!!!" did however happen last month when I played an Eastman.. It was 10 times the guitar that any of the Larivee's in the store were.... It was better than the martins..... gibsons..... all of the flat top guitars.... And I'm not the only one who thinks so... the owner of the store called the rep and wanted more of that same model... but.. he's going to hand pick them..

I will say that I RARELY play a Martin, Larivee, Taylor, or (insert big name here) and go "WOW!!! I need to own this guitar"....

guitars are like extensions of our bodies... it pays to be picky...

me
Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by re17 View Post
As we all know, price is no guide to whether a particular instrument or make of instrument is going to suit an individual's taste - and I think this thread demonstrates that very clearly (and that's actually the only thing it demonstrates).

Richard
good point sir. when i bought my yamaha, i found it among martins and taylors. it didn't have a price tag, so i assumed that it was a top of the line model to be in the section i found it. i only picked it up because i had never played a yamaha and wanted to compare it to the martins and taylors it was sitting next to. i played it for about 15 minutes and really was impressed. when the sales guy came over, i asked him about the price. when he told me it was $xxx i was stunned.

Last edited by rlouie; 09-05-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: no price discussion rule
Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 PM

I think it's often old strings which are to blame, and why stores don't invest a little money in keeping their guitars sounding good beats me. Coincidentally, a L'Arrivee I bought, an L05 from Sam Ash in Doral, had recently been set up and restrung with Elixir Nanoweb PBs by their acoustic guitar man Josian (great guy, great guitar player!), and I thought it was the best guitar I'd ever played when I sat down with it. Later that day I traded in my Gibson Songwriter Deluxe for it. New strings are crucial.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:12 PM

Have seen similar stories posted in the past. Generally, I attribute them more to someone being very used to and pleased with what they have and know. When they try something different, and it sounds different, the tendency is to deem it disappointing.

My hands down best and favorite guitar was one that I initially thought was maybe not as good or, at best, only equivalent to what I had been using for years. Over time, I came to realize how much better it really was as I began to appreciate the difference.

Once you get past a certain level, the improvements are more subtle and less immediately impressive but over time become indispensable.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:13 PM

I like Yamahas, but can your Yamaha do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52xoT1hxGBc

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 09-05-2009, 04:00 PM

That was cool! Great baby pacifier

https://sites.google.com/site/leebla...<br /> <br />https://www.youtube.com/user/lroyb83

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion