The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2001, 08:06 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Exclamation SKB and Luggage cases - please read

There has been a lot of misinformation circulating about the SKB and the Luggage cases for the Taylor 300 and 400 series, and also regarding the new luggage cases being built in Mexico. Unfortunately, I have also been spreading some misinformation on this matter based on several different sources, and I apologize to the group. As it states on the front of this board, "none of the information here can be considered official, unless otherwise noted."

That said, I can tell you what I've heard recently in regards to the cases, from a very reliable source. The 300 and 400 series will continue to ship standard with SKB cases indefinitely, with the option to upgrade to a luggage case for a nominal charge. The price listed in the 2001 price list includes a case - the standard SKB case that Taylor includes with these guitars.

It is the intent that eventually, all Taylor guitars will come with the same case. The final design for that case has not been finalized, and currently, nothing has changed with either cases.

Some of the raw wood work on the luggage case is currently being done in Tecate Mexico, but the cases are not as of yet being completely built there. Production should start to shift down there in phases. But again, nothing has changed as of yet with the design of the cases.

There was some talk on the forum recently about people receiving the "new cases" with the small latches. These weren't the new cases, they were simply the old cases with latches from a different manufacturer, because of a supplier problem. (The same type of thing happened with the pink interior -vs- black interior.)

I hope this clears up the issue about the cases. Once again, the standard case on the 300 and 400 series is still SKB, with the option to upgrade to the Luggage case. Please talk to your dealer for details. If they're confused, they should call Taylor.

Your humble crow-eating administrator ( ),
J.R. Rogers
Old 03-27-2001, 10:10 PM

Cool

In the 2001-2002 catalog it list the 300-400 as coming with the luggage style case. Did they just back out or was it "misinformation" Thanks for the update cause i was waiting on a 412 in deluxe case. Guess I wont see it now. JW
Old 03-28-2001, 12:22 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Question

You're right. In the 300-series text, it states that the full size guitars all come with the re-designed hardshell case, and it makes no distinction between the cases in the specs at the back. We'll just have to see what happens....

J.R.
Old 03-28-2001, 01:10 PM

JR,

On a side note, why don't the luggage cases come with locking latches??? I am under the assumptiont that these cases are suitable for airline travel (am I mistaken?) but they are useless to me without some type of locking feature. I know, it's got a handle and can walk away nonetheless but it helps to keep the curious honest.
Old 03-28-2001, 03:33 PM

I have a 1997 814C that has a locking case. When did they stop putting locks on them?

1997 814C
2002 Big Baby
Old 03-28-2001, 04:15 PM

I've bought 3 Taylor deluxe luggage cases since the beginning of '99 and not a single one has locking latches.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:34 PM

My 1996 514C has a luggage case without a lock. It is a quality case that is different in construction and covering material than the case that came with the 1999 814CE I used to own. I would not consider either of them a flight case though.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:25 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by mgracing:
JR,

On a side note, why don't the luggage cases come with locking latches??? I am under the assumptiont that these cases are suitable for airline travel (am I mistaken?) but they are useless to me without some type of locking feature. I know, it's got a handle and can walk away nonetheless but it helps to keep the curious honest.
As great a case as the luggage case is its no flight case and IMHO is not suitable for airline travel unless you carry it with you. A much better choice would be one of those real ugly flight cases that are near indestutable.

I personally have never found a need for a lock on my case. I never get that far away from it when carrying them. My flight cases do lock very secure but if someone were going to steal it the case wont stop them.

All my Les paul cases have combonation locks(except the 60) and I find them a pain.

I never had anybody leave me an empty case. They took that also. Plus Ive never seen a good lock on a guitar case. Those with a padlock hasp......well 20 seconds will take care of that.

The best secuity? Keep a firm grip on the handle. JW
Old 03-28-2001, 10:06 PM

Points well taken. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2001, 02:20 PM

My 414ce (made in Jan 01) came with the SKB case and it had a lockable latch. Don't use it much but a good option to have.
Old 03-29-2001, 04:03 PM

The primary use of a lock is to prevent inadvertant opening, particularly in transit. The biggest liability is not having the key when you need to open it. If you travel very much, you've likely experienced the latter.

The suitability of instrument luggage cases for travel is an oft discussed topic. (searching the usenet forum rec.music.makers.guitars.acoustic will yield a ton of info) Time and time again it has been said that the only real solution is to use a genuine ($$$) flitecase.

That being the case, some people, inluding Taylor Clinicians*, travel with less protection. The best suggestion I've seen for holding a case shut securely is to use a luggage strap around the case. These are readily available from luggage stores.

-----
* Artie Traum carries his K22 onboard in a gig bag, just praying that he won't have to ahve it gate checked. Steven King uses an SKB case for his travels.

[ 03-29-2001: Message edited by: GRW3 ]
Old 03-30-2001, 09:54 AM

OOps, I gave some misinformation earlier. My Taylor case does NOT have a lock. The SKB case I have does have the lock. I got them confused. Sorry...

1997 814C
2002 Big Baby

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion