The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Hanging with my Homeboys...

Sorry for the silly title. They are my homeboys only in the sense that their shop is pretty close to my home.

History:

I have owned a good many nice guitars in my relatively short playing life. I owned (or still own) handbuilts by Del Langejans, John Mayes, John Osthoff, Matt Mustapick. I owned guitars built by SCGC, Martin and Taylor guitars. So i realized I had owned guitars from sea to shining sea all the while neglecting the wonderful instruments being built (almost literally) a stones throw from my office.

Business:

So I decided to order a Huss and Dalton and began working on specs. I contacted Bill Warmoth at Artisan in Franklin, TN and he worked out a great deal for me. He took two guitars in on consignment and sold them almost immediately at the prices we discussed.

We placed an order for a Custom CM-12 with Indian Rosewood back and sides and a Red Cedar top. The entire guitar will be bound in Koa and the 12 fret neck will sport the longer 25.4 scale length.

If you are looking for a guitar shop try Artisan. Bill and Elle will treat you right.

Process:

Living so close I got the opportunity to go over and pick out the woods for my guitar. The sales guru Jeff Hill helped me sift through piles of rosewood to find a beautiful piece with great color variation from light tans to blacks and purples. We picked the top and away they went.

The folks there at the shop have been very, very friendly. I have been back several times to tour guitar friends and check on the progress of my lucky #10. Each time Jeff takes as much time as we need/want to discuss the H&D build philosophy and wood differences. Kimberly Dalton has kept my excitement going by taking the time to email me in process photos. As of this writing the back and sides are joined and the top is braced. The binding channels have been routed and the guitar is about to really start looking like a guitar. I look forward to the next few weeks to watch the pieces come together.

Plug:

I have had opportunity to play several of the guitars that H&D will be bringing to the NAMM show. If any of you guys out in AGF-land are going to the show you owe it to yourself to try these guitars out:

Maple/Spruce CM with "Celtic" rosette: This guitar destroyed my preconceived notions about what Maple guitars sound like...It had a huge warm voice. I was looking at Maple but I was hearing Rosewood.

Walnut/Adirondack OM: GREAT guitar...lots of volume from a light touch. Very balanced. I would love to hear this guitar in a year.

Quilted Mahogany/Adirondack OOO: Big voice from a pretty small guitar. The short scale and the small body did a suprising job of supporting lower tuning DADGAD, Open D, CGDGAD. I was very impressed.

Better plug:

As good as the guitars are I get an even better vibe dealing with the people. I was telling my friend today after we walked through the shop that these are the kind of people I want to do business with. I have had great experiences with the individual luthiers I have worked with. John Osthoff and Matt Mustapick are absolutely top notch guys but so are Jeff Hill, Kimberly Dalton, Dean Jones and John Caulkin at Huss and Dalton.

If you guys are in the market for a small shop guitar you should check out Huss and Dalton.
and some nice guitars...
Old 11-30-2007, 09:16 PM

Hey Ruble,
I live over in the big city of Waynesboro. I have only had the chance to play one Huss and Dalton and had to go to Lexington to do that. But boy was it worth the trip! I hear nothing but good things about those guys and I don't know if it does the same for you but it makes me proud to know there is such a top notch builder so close to home! I keep meaning to call and schedule a tour and one of these days I'll get around to it. Congrats!
Old 12-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Cash,

You are welcome to try out my H&D after it is finished. If you go by for a tour ask to see lucky production #10.

Chris
and some nice guitars...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion