The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM

Default Charis update

Just spoke with Bill Wise re: my custom SJC. Once again I have changed my mind (sound familiar?) and have decided to go with Adirondack and Madigascar Rosewood with Santos Rosewood binding, with the open diamonds with a bloodwood fill. The back and sides should look like the guitar he has on his homepage site (minus the bevels) which is just below the line that says "Just in time for Christmas"

Speaking of Christmas wish lists, he has for sale a much lower priced, noncutaway guitar for sale, a "student model" instrument he built to experiment with different wood combos. Here it is:

http://www.charisacoustic.com/guitar.../Guitar-5.html

Granted, I will have to sell a bunch of gear to fund this, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

As Bill is caught up on his backorders, it should be done sometime in January. Can't wait!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Why the change? What were your original specs?

Bill does make a beautiful guitar.

Last edited by Kevin A; 11-28-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: bad grammar.....
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 PM

Hi Kevin A,

Original specs were Sitka/Indian Rosewood.

Why the change?

I love the sound of good spruce (from a Collings I had) and decided to go for Adirondack. I've seen some pics of his cocobolo guitars and out of curiosity asked him if he had any (he did.) I asked him what else he had in that price range, and he added that he had some awesome sounding Madagascar Rosewood for the sides and back. I admit I swooned, fainted dead away, and did the deed.

Oddly enough, by getting the regular Ameritage case instead of a Calton, the end price was exactly the same, even with the changes.

I've been playing since 1968 and I've played so many guitars that were very very good but I guess I'm looking for an instrument that will always be several levels above my playing ability. I've always been obsessed by the guitar, and not just acoustics - I play a Strat through a tube amp every other day. There's something about playing that takes me to a place where I don't think consciously, but react instinctively - it's very calming, totally relaxing.

I'm trying to keep this in perspective, though, because I've learned that material objects don't bring happiness, beyond a day or two. It won't make me a better person. I'm already reasonably happy, I count my blessings and I'm grateful for my wife and kid.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Tune-a-Lot View Post
Speaking of Christmas wish lists, he has for sale a much lower priced, noncutaway guitar for sale, a "student model" instrument he built to experiment with different wood combos. Here it is:

http://www.charisacoustic.com/guitar.../Guitar-5.html
For the benefit of anyone who might be interested, let me share a little more about this guitar (I spoke with Bill Wise on Friday about it).

This is Bill's first guitar made with walnut back and sides. The set came from a tree in Michigan (where he's located). The top is Engelmann spruce. Bill said it had a really nice tap tone, but aesthetically it has a bit of runout as well as a pinhole knot near the bridge. He couldn't bear to throw the top set out, so it seemed good to match it up with the walnut for this "experiment". He said if the Engelmann were Adirondack, it'd be considered master grade as far as appearance goes, but we buyers of premium guitars are accustomed to virtually flawless Engelmann tops. (Read: someone's going to get a good deal!) Bill is very pleased with the sound.

The guitar has all the physical specs of his SJ series, namely 1 3/4" nut, 25.6" scale length, and strung up with D'Addario lights. It'll handle mediums as well. It has a nitro finish, but only on the outside (normally Charis guitars are finished on the inside as well). The guitar is cosmetically a little simpler than his usual style. Chrome Gotoh 510's, a two-piece neck instead of 5, a walnut rosette and an plain ebony headstock veneer that shows a bit of marbling.

I think this guitar would be a great opportunity for walnut enthusiasts interested in a great sounding, very well built guitar. It's very Olson-esque for its price, that's for sure! If someone were to buy my guitars (see sig) I'd have to seriously consider this Charis SJ.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 AM

jalbert,

I agree - if I weren't jonesing for a cutaway Charis (me and my Phil Keaggy fetish), I would buy his "student model" myself. Here's Bill Wise, who's building high-end guitars, offering a basic model that still captures his beautiful tone, for thousands less than his custom builds. Seems like a deal to me, too.

p.s. If I weren't in such a total selling mode right now, I'd be very very tempted by your Renaissance guitars. They are so cool looking.

p.p.s. Me, I like that marbled ebony!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion