The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
No bunched undies, but this reads like a drive by hit job.

If you want to actually have dialog, please try answering my questions.
Sure happy to answer your question, I suppose I dislike the spirit of the $27k Martin guitar/watch collectors combo. It's more in the spirit of those who need expensive collectors items, and Martin as a company cashing in on their name once again. I don't like companies that rely on past reputation to stay in business. It's in the opposing spirit of best practical value for your money.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:40 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Martin is only making 20 of these guitars, so the contribution to the bottom line is infinitesimally small. Chris Martin is into watches and other finely crafted, handmade things, and loves to do these collaborations. I don’t think there’s much more to it than that.
Yep, pretty much.

I'm a HUGE Martin fan as well as a fan of mechanical watches, so I find this offering really cool. I'm familiar with RGM but do not own any (at the moment )

I'm currently sporting my (TAG) Heuer Monaco Calibre 11 (the McQueen Monaco), and I think I'll wander into my music room and play some of my fine Martin guitars.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Martin is only making 20 of these guitars, so the contribution to the bottom line is infinitesimally small. Chris Martin is into watches and other finely crafted, handmade things, and loves to do these collaborations. I don’t think there’s much more to it than that.
That's about how I see it.

I also don't get torqued up about limited edition cars, clothes, optics, etc.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:44 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA View Post
Sure happy to answer your question, I suppose I dislike the spirit of the $27k Martin guitar/watch collectors combo. It's more in the spirit of those who need expensive collectors items, and Martin as a company cashing in on their name once again. I don't like companies that rely on past reputation to stay in business. It's in the opposing spirit of best practical value for your money.
As other have said, this really is barely a blip in Martin's overall business and there are plenty of watch/guitar nerds who would find this exciting (myself included)

AND it has absolutely no bearing on the quality of their other offerings. Now to be fair, I think below the Standard Series (or I guess below the 15-series), there are usually better buys in other brands but between the Standard, Modern Deluxe, and Authentic, they are making some excellent guitars these days. So not sure where you are getting your negative opinion of Martin but it certainly seems unfairly affected by this cool limited release which isn't even marketed to you.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
But I asked more questions. They were in response to your whole OP, outside of the offensive collectible guitar/watch. You started your post in a much more general way.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I love it and would buy it if I had the funds
Old 05-08-2024, 05:46 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post

I also don't get torqued up about limited edition cars, clothes, optics, etc.
Yeah, I REALLY hope he isn't into watches because these limited editions happen ALL THE TIME!

Speaking of TAG Heuer, they just announced a $138,000 (YIKES!) Monaco

https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/timep...81.FC8322.html

Has absolutely no bearing on my Monaco
Old 05-08-2024, 05:48 PM

Quote:
You're probably right, I still throw up a little bit in my mouth when I see that guitar for $27k.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:52 PM

Wink

Quote:
You're probably right, I still throw up a little bit in my mouth when I see that guitar for $27k.
That's a shame. It really is a unique instrument but obviously you're not the target audience.

It has premium tonewoods, unique inlays/design elements, and they throw in a free RGM watch!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

But seriously, regarding you not being a fan of Martin guitars, what instruments do you currently own? What kind of music do you like?

There is nothing wrong with not liking a brand but it's usually poor (Forum) form to start a thread with "I do not like <insert random brand here>"

I don't care for the look of Seagull guitars. I have never started a thread about how I don't care for Seagull as a brand.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
That's a shame. It really is a unique instrument but obviously you're not the target audience.

It has premium tonewoods, unique inlays/design elements, and they throw in a free RGM watch!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

But seriously, regarding you not being a fan of Martin guitars, what instruments do you currently own? What kind of music do you like?

There is nothing wrong with not liking a brand but it's usually poor (Forum) form to start a thread with "I do not like <insert random brand here>"

I don't care for the look of Seagull guitars. I have never started a thread about how I don't care for Seagull as a brand.
I do believe I started my post by stating that I think Martin guitars sound good, just might carry an extra $ for the brand name.

What acoustic guitars do I currently own and love?
I noted "Bone saddle" next to the models that originally come with Tusq, which I switched out and prefer the sound of bone.

Yairi DYM60HD (Bone saddle)
Yairi CYM75
Yairi FYM66HD (Bone saddle)
Yairi FYM70 (Bone saddle)
Yairi DYM70 (Bone saddle)
Yairi DYMR70
Lowden F-50 Sinker Redwood / African Blackwood
Taylor Baritone 8 String (Spruce / Rosewood)

I do a lot of fingerstyle, and genre-wise I like to play blues, jazz, country, pop, alternative, classical, acoustic improvisation and anything in between all that.

Last edited by egordon99; 05-08-2024 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 05-08-2024, 06:14 PM

Red face

Quote:
I do believe I started my post by stating that I think Martin guitars sound good, just might carry an extra $ for the brand name.
But it's like that for any "premium" brand. It's the same in the watch world. You can say the TAG Heuer Monaco is overpriced at $8100, but if you want THAT watch, you realize you're paying a lot for the brand recognition.

If you want a Martin, nothing else will do...

Sure, if you want a Martin-like guitar for less, you can buy an Eastman which are decent guitars, but they are NOT a Martin. I like Martins (I went to undergrad in the Lehigh Valley) and I appreciate their historical contributions to the world of music.

So with all that in mind, I think they are fairly priced.

Thanks for sharing your collection, I've never owned a Lowden but I've played many over the years and really liked them.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
But it's like that for any "premium" brand. It's the same in the watch world. You can say the TAG Heuer Monaco is overpriced at $8100, but if you want THAT watch, you realize you're paying a lot for the brand recognition.

If you want a Martin, nothing else will do...

Sure, if you want a Martin-like guitar for less, you can buy an Eastman which are decent guitars, but they are NOT a Martin. I like Martins (I went to undergrad in the Lehigh Valley) and I appreciate their historical contributions to the world of music.

So with all that in mind, I think they are fairly priced.

Thanks for sharing your collection, I've never owned a Lowden but I've played many over the years and really liked them.
I don't want a Martin like guitar for less. I want better than Martin for less, and I have that, in my opinion.

I also don't want to support companies that used to do it right. I want to support companies that do it right today.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:34 PM

Call me picky, but I would never spend that kind of money on a guitar made with what appears to be flat-sawn timber. The antithesis of quarter-sawn.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:38 PM

Exclamation

This thread has gone on long enough...

Thanks all for your thoughts...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion