The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:56 PM

Anyone familiar with Michelle Branch would know that over the past few years she's been just about the biggest cheerleader Taylor could have for their guitars. Many times I've seen her on TV talking up her Taylors and how special they are to her. I'd be willing bet she has been responsible for selling many---perhaps hundreds---of Taylors to young teen, early 20's aged fans of hers. She has a very devoted fan base, as a look-around her forum will show. She may not mean much to a lot of us 40-60 years olds on this forum, but I can tell you that she really has a loyal following.....many of whom she has inspired to pick up a guitar....and in many cases, that being a Taylor guitar.

I suspect her disappointment with Taylor is less from a sense of her feeling an "entitlement" to getting "free stuff" , to rather just what she says in her statement: they wouldn't do her any favors. That's their choice of course, and she's not entitled to anything....But, considering the free publicity she's given them many times it probably wouldn't have hurt them to throw a bone her way a time or two.

By all accounts, she's credited with being one of the least ego driven of pop/rock stars today. Her sense of being taken for granted by Taylor is probably not a whole lot different than some of the comments seen on this forum over the past few months as it related to the new tone at Taylor that seems to be one of taking some of its most valued customers for granted.

Rick
Old 09-14-2004, 01:09 AM

edited, just a musician bitter at manufactured pop stars

Blessings:
2000 Taylor 514ce
2000 Gibson Chet Atkins SST
2004 814ce L7 Custom (Traded for fiance)
Old 09-14-2004, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftin
my favorite michelle branch "memory" is watching her mess up her own 4 chord song on trl TWICE

I think taylor is only accomidating to actual artists who use their guitars
/bitterness off

be nice jb

Last edited by Johnny X; 09-14-2004 at 02:42 AM. Reason: be nice jb be nice jb be nice jb
Old 09-14-2004, 04:15 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Michelle who? Really. I've never heard of this person.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-14-2004, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo2tup
i'm pretty sure you're right on the money

i read that she had the blue 614ce since she was 14, so it has sentimental value to her.
It can't have that much sentimental value - she's only 16, right?

Whatever - sounds like another whiny artist expecting special treatment from a manufacturer. Gibson will whore themselves out to almost anybody if they smell market share in it. Kudos to Taylor on this one.

--chiba
Old 09-14-2004, 06:38 AM

Well, I guess I learned two things here . . .

1) All professional musicians have their "Price".
2) Michele cares less about the guitar than the freebees. Word has it that Estaban lends out guitars to recording artisits, maybe she should use his guitars. I hear they sound just as good as the finest hand mades.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:52 AM

I heard that she got that 614 CE from Alberto and sent it back and got the color changed and the top bearclawed. Last I heard she was considering sending it back to have it bursted.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaylor
Cotten,

Taylor just let me borrow a new 614ce recently. Said I could keep it as long as I like. I did, however, have to leave a very large deposit with the dealer !!!

LOL

Michelle Branch, I thought she was a piano player.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:18 AM

First, I don't know how old she is now but when she came on the scene everyone (VH1, etc) made it a point to say that she'd only been playing guitar for 3 years. If that's true it's unlikely she'd owned any guitar for very long.

Second, if I was a guitar maker I'd want people playing my guitars because they loved them not because I gave them one for free.

"I envy us."
David St. Hubbins - Spinal Tap
Old 09-14-2004, 07:34 AM

if i can afford a taylor, then these famous people certainly can. Freebies??? give me a ***EDIT*** break
Old 09-14-2004, 07:54 AM

A couple of points:

First I don't really know why she said what she said, but her statement didn't say anything about being mad about not getting free guitars. It could be she just needed a loaner and they couldn't help out. Who knows.

As for free gear. Does anyone believe that there are many musicans out there that have made it, have piles of money and would play one brand of guitar simply because they got a free one? While there may be some, I doubt many.
Gone
1999 Larrivee D-03
1970s Yamaha FG
Old 09-14-2004, 08:10 AM

There's a reason why she gets a Gibson whenever she needs one ...

It rhymes with "trap"

Viva Taylor!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:13 AM

Michelle who? Why is it so important that she recieve free guitars? Isn't she like mega rich? ...Prissy little !%#*&
Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 AM

who cares?
Old 09-14-2004, 08:18 AM

Some artiste do get guitars from taylor as a gift/goodwill. Mark Tremonti from Alter Bridge (ex-creed) received either a 614CE or K12. Mark has used it ever since.

http://www.mark-tremonti.com/mtequipment.html

As for freebies, personally I dont think she is good enough technically to warrant freebies.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion