The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   why Michelle Branch doesn't use Taylor's anymore /merge (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52382)

yo2tup 09-13-2004 05:04 PM

why Michelle Branch doesn't use Taylor's anymore

posted on the forum on her website, transcript from a phone call.

Quote:

..The thing is I don’t really play my Taylor guitars anymore. I love them, it’s just

...‘Cause Taylor guitars, they sold a lot of those blue guitars (614ce) after I came out, but yet they would never ever ever do me any favors.
If I was in the city, and I needed a guitar just to borrow, they would never send me one.
or if I needed a guitar, they wouldn’t really help me out, and Gibson will do it, “We’ll send a guitar to you anywhere, what do you need, what do you need?” soo..

i just thought it was something interesting to post here

Boomer 09-13-2004 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yo2tup
i just thought it was something interesting to post here

It almost sounds like she thinks she was entitled to it.

I've always heard that Taylor is pretty accomodating with artists, though, so I wonder if there was another reason.

Shiftin 09-13-2004 05:15 PM

my favorite michelle branch "memory" is watching her mess up her own 4 chord song on trl TWICE

I think taylor is only accomidating to actual artists who use their guitars
/bitterness off

cotten 09-13-2004 05:23 PM

Taylor never lends me anything, either, and neither does Gibson, et al.

They know better. :ha:

cotten

bcaylor 09-13-2004 05:43 PM

Cotten,

Taylor just let me borrow a new 614ce recently. Said I could keep it as long as I like. I did, however, have to leave a very large deposit with the dealer !!!

:D

Bruce

pukematrix 09-13-2004 05:52 PM

I've heard, and I may very well be mistaken, that Taylor does not provide instruments free of charge to their celebrity clientel. From what I understand, if Dave Matthews or Jason Mraz wants a new 914ce, they have to pay for one like the rest of us. Perhaps discounted, but not as a freebie.

I know it's apples to oranges, but when I was up in Staunton to tour the Huss & Dalton factory, I asked about whether or not they endorse any professional artists. They said that they have had a couple of artists call and ask for a guitar free of charge and were politely declined. Darn if we wouldn't tell me which ones felt so entitled, but apparently one country artist in particular became pretty indignant at the news that he'd have to buy one just like everyone else.

Austin

muzz76 09-13-2004 06:07 PM

If there was never any agreement then Taylor has no obligation.

Who cares how many blue 614's sold after she used one...if she likes em' she should be playing them.

Sounds like a spoiled child or the wealthy thats lost a bit of touch with reality. I don't agree with alot of Taylor's corporate practices but I applaud their approach in this situation.

Is she playing "blue" gibsons now:D

wthurman 09-13-2004 06:08 PM

If you want to know how much an artist endorsement means to me when they get their guitars for free, look how many Takamines I own.

Of course, I didn't buy any of my guitars off artist endorsements...

And of all things, successful artists can afford the instruments much more easily than I can, and write it off at the end of the year as a business expense.

I say Taylor should let them borrow/have guitars commensurate with the attitude.

A Baby.

Gonzo 09-13-2004 06:35 PM

It seems to me that her response should settle the idea that somehow Taylor Buys their artists with free guitars. I am on their artist program and can say that there has never even been the implication that I could have anything for free. I don't expect it either. I have received guitars and amps over the years under the "Net Never" program most companies use. Taylor chooses to keep the relationship pure and it I can say first hand that they are a really straight forward company to deal with.

Randal_S 09-13-2004 06:46 PM

I wonder just how many blue guitars Taylor sold since Ms. Branch started wearing them. Personally, I never even heard of Michelle Branch until I started frequenting this forum have never seen anyone claim her as an inspiration, either as a musical influence or as a trend-setter in guitar colors.

I hope she sells tons of Gibsons with her endorsement deal, but I have my doubts... after all, it ain't like her last name is 'Matthews' or something. :D

Boomer 09-13-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pukematrix
I've heard, and I may very well be mistaken, that Taylor does not provide instruments free of charge to their celebrity clientel. From what I understand, if Dave Matthews or Jason Mraz wants a new 914ce, they have to pay for one like the rest of us. Perhaps discounted, but not as a

I don't think they give them away either, but I think they have some kind of program where Dave Matthews or Jason Mraz could borrow one for recording or a tour or something like that. I think Martin has the same kind of program.

aLbie 09-13-2004 10:58 PM

What surprises me the most about what Michelle Branch said has to do with the now given fact:

she doesnt "carry" her own guitar around on studio, tour, music video whatever it may be? If you look at Dave Mathews or Jason Mraz they all have their gear: Jason with his 914c, Dave with his extensive collection.

If Michelle Branch played the blue 614ce so often, where would it have suddenly disappeared to? Im sure her producers would allow travel space for at least one guitar right? :)

michaelw 09-13-2004 11:21 PM

maybe the blue 614ce is her own guitar...

and she doesn't want anything happen to it,
as it is possible for tour guitars to get damaged, lost or stolen.

maybe she found that a Gibson has better playability and tone,
is more inspiring to play, and works better for her on-tour.

those could be some valid reasons, i imagine.

yo2tup 09-13-2004 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelw
and she doesn't want anything happen to it,
as it is possible for tour guitars to get damaged, lost or stolen.

maybe she found that a Gibson has better playability and tone,
is more inspiring to play, and works better for her on-tour.

those could be some valid reasons, i imagine.

i'm pretty sure you're right on the money :)

i read that she had the blue 614ce since she was 14, so it has sentimental value to her.

jeffrey 09-13-2004 11:35 PM

I've actually heard the same thing from a fairly reliable source, that Taylor does not supply artists with much of anything, save maybe, Doyle Dykes.

Kind of an odd philosophy.