The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM
AGF Administrator

Patch, I'd love to hear a sound clip of the FD14-X sometime. I'm intrigued by that one.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 AM

The Ovations in the late 70's & early 80's really dominated the Acoustic/Electric Market. Though they had a bigger bowl the craftsmanship and sound were definitely trailblazing.

But technology to allow Wood Acoustics to be amplified realistically leveled the playing field and eventually leveled Ovation Guitars.

Like my old Ensoniq VFX-SD Keyboard, Ovation Balladeers have a great place in music history. But like my trusty keyboard, too many manufacturers have passed these great icons.

70's Ovation Balladeers (I had a 12 string) are Hall Of Fame material for sure, and if you can pick one up in good condition, I say pull the trigger.

I believe it has a place in a Guitarists Collection.

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 06-16-2012, 12:21 AM

Default Ovation guitars

I owned an Ovation acoustic from the late 70s to the early 80s and my experience with it was generally positive. I thought it looked good and played well.
The only thing that drove me bonkers was its low E string sound. It sounded too much like plastic and not enough like wood. Other than that it was good.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:01 AM

I remember hearing Thick as A Brick for the first time by a cover band using an Ovation to do the intricate acoustic backup. Blew my mind.

Ovations are great guitars. Havent we established here that the top wood is 90 per cent of the sound?

The ovation was years ahead of its time. But then, as other posters have said, fell behind the time. I never owned one, but any serious guitar player I knew growing up did and used it as their main performance axe. That and the Martin D45 or the Gibson Hummingbird.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 AM

the the 1970's they were about the only guitar that was a decent acoustic with a built in pickup .If you played out thats what you played .now with modern electronics their possibly collectors pieces ( thats who bought my old one )
As an acoustic they lack in sound ( never mature -never get better ) They do play nice thou -but lack in tone
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JannieA View Post
Patch, are those both nylon strung guitars, I've never seen a nylon 12 string.
Jannie, they are both steel strings. They are also both slot-head, wide-neck, 12-fretters that make excellent finger-pickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
<snip>
( never mature -never get better )
<snip>
Respectfully, this is an all-to-common misconception. Solid tops, especially well-cut spruce, open up over time regardless of what they are attached to. The true key revolves around playing time. The more a top is played, the more it has been moved. As it moves, the softer fibers (for lack of a better term), connected between the graining slowly become more pliable, thus allowing more relaxed/smooth vibrations.

I admit this is an overly simplistic description, but it applies to all solid slices of wood (and even some laminates believe it or not) including Ovations.

There are other variables as well. And the more natural material in a guitar-be it wood, hide glue, whatever-the more potential there is for re-structuring molecular bonds over time. (For good or bad.)

The truth is though, that Ovations have far more wood than lyrachord in their builds. And where there is wood, there is movement. And over time, that movement WILL change the tone of the guitar.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 06-16-2012, 08:24 AM

Never really cared for them, personally. I've played a few and they seem to be quality instruments, just not really my style. I knew some kids in an "acoustic rock" band in college, both guitarists played O's and they sounded perfect for what they were going for...
Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 PM

I just found this one... now made me want to try it... any experience with these ?

http://www.ovationguitars.com/player...t/judas_priest
http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitar...te_tx_1778tx_5

Last edited by BlueBird2; 06-30-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird2 View Post
I just found this one... now made me want to try it... any experience with these ?

http://www.ovationguitars.com/player...t/judas_priest
http://www.ovationguitars.com/guitar...te_tx_1778tx_5
I have the Elite TX, BlueBird. Doesn't sound bad unplugged but really sounds good plugged in. The mid-bowl sized instrument isn't hard to hang onto like the old Balladeer's. You'll probably want to get it set up to your liking but I really liked how mine played right out of the box.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:09 PM

After reading Patch's post about the bracing, I had to look mine up. I have the pattern he likes and believes gives better bass and sustain. It's a mid 70s model, so they may have been using that more, back then. It may also be why I've never thought my Legend was lacking in tone. Many people pick-up the lower end model , shallow body, guitars and that may color their opinion of the whole brand.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM

Default Ovation guitars

I had an Ovation Balladeer for several years until it got ripped off in Toronto.
It was like hanging onto a 1/2 a watermelon but I liked its sharp response and great intonation It also sounded great plugged in with early 80's technology.
I acquired another one (used) years after and rebuilt a new top for it after the fan-bracing let go (88-hours on the luthier kitchen table) My lady friend at the time decided to destroy it one day and confided to me later...that the first swing had ricochet back and nailed her in the forehead...OUCH! and it took several more methodical thwackings before it finally fell to pieces and was then returned to me in a garbage bag. LOVE HURTS! Eff
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Wow...she didn't like the guitar or was it you?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:40 PM

I have a 1975 1111-6 that I purchased new and still have. For $360 in 1975 it was quite a nice guitar and sounded good(not great), and not like a Martin dread or big Gibson. I wonder if anyone ever bought an early Ovation because of how "wooden" it sounded.
Light, fast, comfortable necks and 70's cool - that was where it was at with Ovation.

If you have the opportunity to buy a 70's Balladeer that is in good shape, and you know before hand that it is never going to sound like a big wood box, at least give it a try.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM

I like them for what they are, My Breed and Tak sound more "woody", the electronics on my Tak sound better (only slightly) than the O (it has an OP-3, the OP=Pro is better). When I am in the throes of G.A.S. you can bet that Adamas makes the search list.

I cut my teeth on an early '80s standard 12 string. My buddy who had a Martin 12 used to like to play my O because it played like an electric. It eventually succumbed to the environment on an aircraft carrier after a few years (top, not finish crack from the bridge to the tail block). I LOVED it and would buy another in a heartbeat.

They aren't everyones cup of tea but they are outstanding instruments in their own right.
Ovation Celebrity CK-047 FKOA
Line6 Variax JTV59
Taylor T-5z Pro

Peavey ValveKing 20
Fishman Loudbox Artist
TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb
Electro-Harmonix Pulsar tremolo
Boss A/B/Y switch
Steinberg UR22 USB interface
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 AM

I always associate Ovations with rock players who wanted an acoustic sound on ballad type tracks. A fiend of mine was in a rock band and used a Balladeer on many of his bands songs. Joan Armatrading was always an exponent of the brand in the 70s Incidentally my son is opening for Joan in Brighton in UK on Monday 12th November here is a preview of his album some acoustic blues on here
http://youtu.be/WmiIisNmA4E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion