The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2009, 03:55 PM

Exclamation Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
... but we don't need another Martin clone....
...considering that quite a few Collings and Santa Cruz guitars have been sold on account of their owners claiming that these guitars can "out-Martin" a Martin!

Personally, the PRS Angelus looks like the Dean Exotica, Ephiphone PR5, or Ibanez AEL guitars. Surely, the PRS sounds 10X better than its offshore look-alikes, but if I had the money to buy a high end guitar, I'd want a guitar that SAYS (or looks) like a Martin or Taylor. Collings and Santa Cruz can get away looking like a "Martin clone" because of their sound...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
...considering that quite a few Collings and Santa Cruz guitars have been sold on account of their owners claiming that these guitars can "out-Martin" a Martin!
Right, if a Martin clone is what you want, you already have many to pick from. PRS made a different choice, as have many, many other builders. I like Martins, too, but there are other choices in tone.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:22 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Well, no matter how wonderful PRS's acoustics may be, nobody seems to be buying them.
At least from a business standpoint, something ain't working out.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-21-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Ricky Scaggs signed on...pretty sure I saw an add in my Acoustic Guitar Magazine that arrived today!!!!

That can't hurt. But I'll just say, at this point and for me...Bourgeois (Ricky Skaggs' current axe) vs PRS dread...Bourgeois wins 24/7/365, every single time, hands down...period. PRS isn't even a consideration, not even a thought, Ricky Skaggs or no. And I LOVE Ricky Skaggs.
My point in all this diatribe is...that's how far PRS is out of the picture and how far they have to go with this customer. And I'm only one very unimportant representative of the entire acoustic guitar buying public. I happen to think PRS makes top quality electrics. But I'm having difficulty associating PRS with top quality acoustics. Maybe it'll take more time and marketing but they've already had some time...a couple years was it? Yeah, I'd say the line is in deep trouble. Too bad. There's always room for another top quality acoustic. Hope I'm wrong about them being in trouble. But I don't think I am.

Tom
Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
That can't hurt. But I'll just say, at this point and for me...Bourgeois (Ricky Skaggs' current axe) vs PRS dread...Bourgeois wins 24/7/365, every single time, hands down...period. PRS isn't even a consideration, not even a thought, Ricky Skaggs or no. And I LOVE Ricky Skaggs.
My point in all this diatribe is...that's how far PRS is out of the picture and how far they have to go with this customer. And I'm only one very unimportant representative of the entire acoustic guitar buying public. I happen to think PRS makes top quality electrics. But I'm having difficulty associating PRS with top quality acoustics. Maybe it'll take more time and marketing but they've already had some time...a couple years was it? Yeah, I'd say the line is in deep trouble. Too bad. There's always room for another top quality acoustic. Hope I'm wrong about them being in trouble. But I don't think I am.

Tom

Just curious,how many PRS acoustics have you played.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 PM

"[...considering that quite a few Collings and Santa Cruz guitars have been sold on account of their owners claiming that these guitars can "out-Martin" a Martin!]"

I seriously doubt Collings and Santa Cruz have sold "quite a few guitars" because their customers claimed they "can out Martin a Martin". They were much more likely sold because their current owners liked the way they sounded better than Martins. Speaking for myself, I can say I bought my Collings D-1A because to my ears it sounded better than comparable Martins, had better fit and finish, and attention to detail. But that's just my opinion and I'm nobody.

Tom
Old 11-21-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC3FORME View Post
Just curious,how many PRS acoustics have you played.

Absolutely none. You missed my point. You'll notice I said nothing about how they sounded or played. I was speaking about PRS' failure, thus far, to make me aware of their product. I should say I've only seen one, maybe two ads about their acoustic line. They may be fabulous guitars. But if they've been out for a number of years (I honestly don't know how long) and I, as an acoustic guitar enthusiast who's constantly on the watch for new acoustic guitars, have not been aware of them...something's not right with that picture. And so far it doesn't look like the line is doing too well. Enter Ricky Skaggs.
I truly hope they make outstanding guitars. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, especially if they're quality guitars. But it just seems to me the timing might have been wrong...something's wrong or they'd be better known and selling more. But, what do I know? Just observations and ramblings.

Tom
Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM

From a marketing standpoint, there is one thing that strikes me as odd.

I can see having Martin Simpson and Tony McManus promote these guitars..but Ricky Skaggs??
I don't follow him, but isn't he known for bluegrass/country style flatpicking?
Is PRS aiming for the bluegrass market with these guitars??
I can't see too many flatpickers chosing a PRS Angelus over a Martin..or Collings...or Bourgeouis dreadnaught.
You are talking about a very traditional market here, that DOES want a guitar more in line with a "Martin clone" bluegrass dread rather than something along the lines of a "modern sounding" fingerstyle guitar.
Has Ricky been playing these in his concerts?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 11-21-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
From a marketing standpoint, there is one thing that strikes me as odd.

I can see having Martin Simpson and Tony McManus promote these guitars..but Ricky Skaggs??
I don't follow him, but isn't he known for bluegrass/country style flatpicking?
Is PRS aiming for the bluegrass market with these guitars??
I can't see too many flatpickers chosing a PRS Angelus over a Martin..or Collings...or Bourgeouis dreadnaught.
You are talking about a very traditional market here, that DOES want a guitar more in line with a "Martin clone" bluegrass dread rather than something along the lines of a "modern sounding" fingerstyle guitar.
Has Ricky been playing these in his concerts?

Yeah. It's kind of like they don't have a clear cut marketing plan for the line?

Tom
Old 11-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

The Tonare (which is the only one I've played) is being marketed as a flatpickers guitar, the Angelus as a fingerstyle guitar. I believe I noted in my AG review that the Tonare, with it's decidedly un-Martin sound and look, wasn't likely to appeal to traditionalists. Ricky Skaggs isn't a new development, by the way, he's been working with PRS from early on on these, giving them feedback on early prototypes.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:49 PM

Here are a couple:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/prs-angelu...-2009-natural#

http://www.gbase.com/gear/paul-reed-...-grand-natural
Old 11-21-2009, 08:50 PM

"[...Ricky Skaggs isn't a new development, by the way, he's been working with PRS from early on on these, giving them feedback on early prototypes...]"

Like I said...it can't hurt. Hope they're successful.

Tom
Old 11-21-2009, 09:25 PM

For what it's worth, Ricky Skaggs has endorsed quite a few different brands of musical instruments and strings. His longest association seems to have been with Bourgeois, but there have been others over the years.

Even though I came from a mountain music and bluegrass background, Ricky Skaggs in the ads isn't enough to convince of much of anything except that whatever it is is probably pretty good and worth a look. I can tell you, for a fact, that many of the instruments he's endorsed over the years have been given to him free of charge.

That's one reason I don't swoon with excitement simply because Ricky Skaggs endorses something. He's a great player with great ears, so I can assume whatever he agrees to endorse is a decent product. But that doesn't mean I'm going to rush right out and buy it, because I know from previous experience that his tastes and mine are not identical.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The Tonare (which is the only one I've played) is being marketed as a flatpickers guitar, the Angelus as a fingerstyle guitar. I believe I noted in my AG review that the Tonare, with it's decidedly un-Martin sound and look, wasn't likely to appeal to traditionalists. Ricky Skaggs isn't a new development, by the way, he's been working with PRS from early on on these, giving them feedback on early prototypes.
Interesting.
Well, along the same lines as what Drbluegrass noted...
When somebody who is a "guitar slut" like me asks the question "whatever happened to PRS acoustic guitars", and you have a forum like this FULL of other "guitar sluts" who seem to be ignoring the line....
it doesn't take somebody with a MBA to figure out that something is wrong with this marketing scenario.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 11-21-2009, 10:30 PM

I just read Doug's article in AG a couple weeks ago and found myself wondering why there wasn't any buzz about these PRS acoustics. I've got a fairly decent PRS electric dealer in town here, and they haven't had one in stock. I think the answer is simple and that is that they know their market - they sell a lot of Taylors, including a fair amount of LTDs. So their choice as store owners is, stock two Taylor LTDs that we have a good track record of selling, with an established customer base, or one PRS acoustic that nobody's talking about .... No brainer.

I feel exactly the same way about PRS amps too, BTW. Let's see, I can buy a Marshall JVM 410/1960A half-stack or a PRS 50-watt head for exactly the same money. Sorry, PRS, as much as I like your electrics, this one's a no-brainer too.

09 Taylor 414ce LTD
Whole Slew of Telecasters

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion