The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Hmmm. Ok thanks.

I think before I buy anything, I'm going to see if the Pellerin fits in the Furch's case....
Both Jumbos, same depth?

Where is the Furch gonna live though?

Apart from all that, my Martin HD28V original case would have to be the heaviest case I have ever owned - seems like it must weigh 30 lbs! Anyone know? The OM18V case is no feather either.

I had a vision of 3 or 4 people lowering them by ropes to my basement....dog biting their ankles

BluesKing777.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Both Jumbos, same depth?

Where is the Furch gonna live though?

BluesKing777.
I would put the Furch in the Pellerin's case. I'll have to see. The Furch's case is a Hiscox, so it's not exactly light either.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 06-20-2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I would put the Furch in the Pellerin's case. I'll have to see. The Furch's case is a Hiscox, so it's not exactly light either.
Hiscox not light?

Do you know if it is the Pro II or the Artist version under the branding? (Artist is heavier, more latches).

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:07 AM

Eh, wish this thread showed up earlier....

Bought a Gator gig bag for less than a 100USD equivalent couple of weeks ago, GD Dread is the model name I believe. Basically it's made of whatever they put into typical plastic case, probably styro, and just wrap it in nylon and add back straps instead hard plastic with a handle. I think it's good enough, will protect the guitar from all sides against bumps and is light, but I have it to carry around a 250 USD Yamaha. If it was a pricier guitar I'd definitely get something nicer
Old 06-21-2022, 02:11 AM
Charter Member

For me it’s Mono or Reunion Blues.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm surprised to hear you say that - I use Hiscox cases precisely because they are light, not only light but very strong indeed. There's a reason they call their range 'Liteflite'.

My Pro-ll GAD Dreadnought cases weigh 10lbs, against the Martin-branded TKL 'Geib-style' 545 cases supplied with the guitars which weigh in at 14lbs. For that reason, the Martin/TKL cases are stored in the shipping boxes in the loft, while the guitars live and travel in their Hiscox cases.

My Mono M80 Dreadnought Gig-Bag weighs 7lbs, IIRC. I’m happy to suffer the extra 3lbs of the Hiscoxes for the sake of their greater strength over the Mono.

McNally OM-32 (Sitka/EIR) (2024)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 06-21-2022 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:20 AM

Phew, maybe drop a few sizes!

My Waterloo WL-14s (L-00 size) in a Hiscox (Pro II classical medium) will be my choice if I have to walk! Or play on that upstairs bar again. Feel like openng the case to see I remembered the guitar! Same with the Lowden S35 in Hiscox...

BluesKing777.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:06 PM

I was about to pull the trigger on a reunion blues. Then I was with a guy a few weeks ago who had a nice mono case for his vintage d-18. He cracked the guitar while it was in the mono and he was getting into a car. Didn’t know he had done it at the time but noticed a few hours later while we were playing.

That experience has cooled my jets though I know there are lots of folks who get by just fine with a gig bag.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:36 AM

Default TRIC

Thr Godin TRIC cases are great, as others have said they are very light, durable, and are amazing for humidity and temperature control. Gator has a similar case, but it is not nearly as good at humidity control (I have both). You can buy the TRIC cases from Sweetwater in various sizes for $150.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I've used gig bags for years without trouble. I brought my Goodall in a Mono M80 bag on my summer tour last year. There are times I worry about it but those are few and far between.

I bought the original RB Continental from Reunion Blues years ago. I loved the padding and protection but the backpack straps don't work for me. I'm 6'4" and the case rides WAY too high with the backpack straps so I hit every doorway I walk through. I don't know if they have changed this on the newer Continentals.

The Mono M80 backpack straps sit perfectly. So while the protection feels better in the RB, I prefer the Mono.

I also have an older Reunion Blues bag like this one that I like a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/Reunion-Blues.../dp/B07JR8Y72L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I'm surprised to hear you say that - I use Hiscox cases precisely because they are light, not only light but very strong indeed. There's a reason they call their range 'Liteflite'.

My Pro-ll GAD Dreadnought cases weigh 10lbs, against the Martin-branded TKL 'Geib-style' 545 cases supplied with the guitars which weigh in at 14lbs. For that reason, the Martin/TKL cases are stored in the shipping boxes in the loft, while the guitars live and travel in their Hiscox cases.

My Mono M80 Dreadnought Gig-Bag weighs 7lbs, IIRC. I’m happy to suffer the extra 3lbs of the Hiscoxes for the sake of their greater strength over the Mono.
I don't want to derail the thread but I just bought a guitar that came in a Hiscox. It seems like a great case but I'm not sure it will have enough room for the stuff I need. (Guitar strap, extra strings, sound hole plug, string winder, capos etc.) I really want to like and use the Hiscox but I'm worried about storage.

Matt
Old 06-22-2022, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I don't want to derail the thread but I just bought a guitar that came in a Hiscox. It seems like a great case but I'm not sure it will have enough room for the stuff I need. (Guitar strap, extra strings, sound hole plug, string winder, capos etc.) I really want to like and use the Hiscox but I'm worried about storage.
And there we agree, although it doesn’t particularly bother me personally because I have a rucksack/back-pack thingy that use to haul my stand, iPad, a couple of A4 pads, pens, CDs for sale, flyers, pub-prop, strings, pick-box, tuner, and capos around in, so no great problem AFAIC.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 06-22-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
...I bought the original RB Continental from Reunion Blues years ago. I loved the padding and protection but the backpack straps don't work for me. I'm 6'4" and the case rides WAY too high with the backpack straps so I hit every doorway I walk through. I don't know if they have changed this on the newer Continentals.

The Mono M80 backpack straps sit perfectly. So while the protection feels better in the RB, I prefer the Mono. ...
There's a guy who did a YT comparo of the Mono and RB, and he said the same: he personally preferred the RB, but acknowledged the straps make it sit much higher than the Mono. FWIW.

Quote:
...I don't want to derail the thread but I just bought a guitar that came in a Hiscox. It seems like a great case but I'm not sure it will have enough room for the stuff I need. (Guitar strap, extra strings, sound hole plug, string winder, capos etc.) I really want to like and use the Hiscox but I'm worried about storage.
Storage and mission must be weighed, to be sure. If you need to carry stuff, then a guit on your back beats a guit in one hand. Add to this simple fact that any gigbag you choose will have far more storage than any HSC.

Further, I personally don't believe the "this guy I met cracked his vintage martin while inside a Mono while getting into a car" story! Not an aspersion to the gent who included it, mind you! But without all the details straight from the horse's mouth, there ain't no way I am believing that a guy 'getting into a car' cracked his acoustic inside a Mono (or RBlues)! Without details and first-hand account, that's a fish tale if I've ever heard one.
Anyone --and I mean anyone-- who has used and gigged these two brands for any length of time knows for absolute fact how well these cases protect! These are superior to HSC over every travelling incident except for crushing. Again, this is a critical distinction because if you're putting your guitar in a cargo hold like airline or gear van with heavy stuff around that will shift, then that condition is your game changer. Choose as per your mission. But for the vast majority of typical use even for professional musicians, they travel with gigbags; and this over yeeeeaaars! Now consider the OP's intended use: indoors ascending and descending stairs. Having your balance and hands free trounces whatever HSC one "thinks" is better. IMO, of course ...feel free to choose at will

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 06-22-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
There's a guy who did a YT comparo of the Mono and RB, and he said the same: he personally preferred the RB, but acknowledged the straps make it sit much higher than the Mono. FWIW.
If you can find any artisan in your area who makes (soft)cases for atypical (read, historic) instruments you can ask them to address this problem. I've done this once (to add shoulderstraps to an external, padded sleeve for my violin case).

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-22-2022, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Just to clarify re Hiscox not being light, I'm 67 and at 10 pm everything is heavy

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 06-22-2022, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just to clarify re Hiscox not being light, I'm 67 and at 10 pm everything is heavy
You’re just a kid Barry! I’m 75, still giggin’, still haulin’ two guitars and associated gear up and down those stairs (I’m in a three-storey house with twisting staircases)!

As my (much younger than me) wife always says, “You’re as old as the woman you feel!”.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 06-22-2022 at 11:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion