The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2001, 01:56 PM

Hello all,

Creation of my 810B was started 11/27/00.

It is proported that the grades of A & B Brazilian have much less to do with TONE and much more to do with cosmetics. I have written much on tone wood here as have many members.

We have so many knowlegeable members of our forum and buried deep in the recesses of this wonderfully fact-filled forum are more than one very informative thread on tone woods.

Too bad the info is hard to get at because unless you really have acces to some good web sites, finding info on guitar tomewoods is a laborious task at best, but it's out there. Searching the Internet on reasonable key words doesn't turn up a great deal of info. It will give some, but you really have to dig.

I wish there was a way JR, or rather, this board application, could give is a Keyword Search Feature, as so much of this knowledge is getting buried way deep as our forum begins to mature.

Anywho...You will love your 810BCE...

-grm
Old 03-30-2001, 02:08 PM

hhahhaha, thanks.. i'm sitting here like a little kindergarden student.. it's coming any hour now.. and i can't keep still...
Old 03-30-2001, 04:28 PM

ARGH WHERE IS THE UPS GUY!!! I SAW HIS TRUCK, HE'S AROUND MY NEIGHBORHOOD SOMEWHERE!!! I'M SO ANXIOUS!!
Old 03-30-2001, 05:22 PM

Talking

WELL!? WELL!?!

I can't stand the suspense!
Old 03-30-2001, 05:30 PM
Jim

It's not just cosmetics. There is also the issue of long-term stability and tone. Straight grain perfectly quartersawn AAAAA rosewood wood is more stable than less than straight grained, or not quite perfectly quartersawn flatsawn AAAA to A grade rosewood wood which is more stable than B grade flatsawn curvy grained rosewood. B grade can have small knots, mineral inclusions and some sapwood at the edges, all of which would degrade the tone compared to an equivalent A or higher grade piece of wood. Every piece of wood is different, but B grade rosewood would not normally hold up as well as the A grades.

There is also the issue of whether you are comfortable owning something that has made out of an endangered species. For example, would you be comfortable owning a panda hide rug or a stuffed bald eagle or a carved elephant tusk. Brazilian rosewood is the same thing.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:16 PM

Bald Eagles are not an endangered species. Having a stuffed one staring at me would be creepy though. Ivory I can deal with since when the old elephants croak making a knife handle out of a tusk would be ok. Ditto with the Brazilian wood. I have an 810b that was built on 10/10/2000 and I sleep fine at nite. I would like to believe that the log was struck by lightening and was just going to rot on the jungle floor for fifty years anyway when a street urchin on a bus trip from Rio spotted it and wacked off a hunk to sell to an American agent for a handsome profit. The bugs and that weird orange frog that uses dead logs for a crib might miss it though. I thought all the wood used in the geetar was stockpiled before the embargo. But, in a country where the average income is like eight dollars a month, I suppose there is a pretty good black market for the stuff, especially for rich Americans and their fancy geetars. I wonder how many brazilian geetars were built in the world last year? 600 maybe?? How many board feet is that?? Could you make 600 backs and sides out of a hundred sheets of plywood? How many trees are in a sheet of plywood? Do you get more wood out of a slab cut or the quarter sawn that the esoteric guitarists prefer? Pandas are nothing like geetars. Pandas are bears. You could NEVER play an F on a Panda.
Old 03-31-2001, 01:35 AM

Hello All,

Good posts all.

When I read what everyone is writing about Brazilian, I am reminded of a friend of mine who bought a 59' Les Paul back in the late 70's for $2,500.

He has since sold it but that guitar will sell for close to $35,000 or more today...flame maple and all.

Esthetics??? Or for real sound?

Is that where this Brazilian thing is going?

Is East Indian Rosewood next?
Old 03-31-2001, 05:56 AM

hey all!!! i got it!! sorry for the suspense.. oh my, oh my, when i first got it, looked freakin awesome.. then i played.. i was pretty impressed.. but not as satisfied as i wanted to be.. to my suprise, it had light strings.. gggrrR!!!.. so i went out go mediums.. and put them suckers on.. oh my oh my.!!!! sounds awesome!!! thanks for the support guys.. i was so fustrated today!!!!!!!!! argh!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2001, 09:27 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Tony,
Congratulations!!
Where did you order the guitar from that they put light gauge strings on a dread?
Enjoy!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion