The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2001, 10:26 AM
Bob Womack

Cool

I'm not sure if what I'm detecting is because one of the two necks I'm checking is bound and the other is unbound, but here is what I'm seeing:

I've noticed that the "shouldering" of the old and new necks is different. The "shouldering" is the shape of the neck as it approaches the fingerboard. As a comparison, Gibson shoulders their necks in something of a "C", where the sides roll over and curve slightly inward just before the break to the surface of the fingerboard. In contrast, Fender necks are more like a bell shape, with the neck widening right to the edge of the fingerboard.

What I've noticed is that the old neck has shoulders which are more like Fenders: opening up right to the fretboard. Incidently, the old neck I'm observing is bound. The new neck seems more like a Gibson, with the shoulders rolling over before breaking to the fingerboard. The new neck I'm looking at is unbound.

Soooo... I'm not sure if the binding is the real difference but this is what I see between two particular necks.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion