The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2001, 08:50 PM

Post Sunbursts, I'm a changed man!

Since I had the worst day yesterday (Re: House Flood Thread) I decided that today was going to be different. I was going to do my favorite thing, go play some really expensive guitars!

I walked into my dealer and the first thing he said was, "I got something to show you" ....A brand new 2001 812ce with a tobacco burst top. When I first heard about sunbursts I put my nose up to them and said I'll never consider one, well I'm a changed man. I thought this guitar looked beautiful!! The sunburst is very nicely done!

Now the sound, this was no ordinary 812, this thing was a canon, It had so much volume, richness and full tone. The owner agreed it was the biggest sounding x12 he had ever heard. Close to dread volume, I'm not kidding. It had a lot of guts....I can't stop thinking about it.

My dealer is really cool, he sets you up in a corner of the store with many stands around you. You tell him what you like and they all come down so you can have them all within arms reach and compare. Now when you get serious to buy you widdle it down to 2 or 3 and you go downstairs to a private room and play them in privacy for as long as you need to without store noise. How cool is this shop!

Today I had him pull down the incredible 2001 812 Tobacco, 2001 714ce cedar top, 2000 614 with insane quilt, 2000 612c, 2000 W14c cedar top, 2000 914c and 2000 814B.

I loved them all!!!! Each one was perfect! I am on a quest for a Grand Auditorium and I can't decide. I'm no closer today than 6 months ago. I love the richness and depth of rosewood, I love the quick attack and clarity of Maple, I love the smoothness and sustain of the cedar topped walnut, who doesn't like Brazilian!!!!....And I didn't even try the K14 with crazy flame koa top!!

My dread was a no brainer why can't I decide on which direction to go with a small body? I know buy them all, which I will work on for many years, but I can't decide what is next.

OK, I'm leaning towards rosewood, but that walnut was awesome...here I go again!!!

There is a downside to all these options

Oh, but isn't it fun!
Old 03-24-2001, 10:50 PM

Erm,

That sounds like one great guitar shop. What some of us would give to have that kind of service and A/B potential.

I'm curious, since I have played most of em, what did the walnut and cedar combo sound like??? I'd be interested in your impressions.
Old 03-24-2001, 10:50 PM

hey erm
being from NH I was wondering what is the name of this shop I would like to check it out some time if I get a down there. as for the house flood,,,don't you love New England weather!?!?
Old 03-24-2001, 11:33 PM

Aha, that's the shop you recommended and I visited in Lexington, isn't it Erm?

The place where the only reason I walked out without a guitar is because I couldn't decide between that 814B and a 714.

But that W14c was the one that spoke to me the most, but was out of my $ range. Liked it better than the Goodall, in fact.

I don't care for sunburst either, but I imagine in an 812ce it might make a quite cool 2nd guitar. Once you've purchased it make sure to send in the pix!!!

~ Paul
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 03-25-2001, 01:59 AM

Erm, I played a 2001 W14CE today. The changes that Taylor have made to this guitar are very nice indeed and it's less money than the 2000
It sounded really great fingerpicked and strummed also.
Old 03-25-2001, 03:51 AM

dude.. where the heck you located at?? that's some nice guitars.. all in one spot! hehehe
Old 03-25-2001, 08:05 AM

Smile

man, all my wife let me get from that shop (I assume you're talking Lexington, Mass. - are we not allowed to say store names?) on a trip to Boston was a Third Hand Capo....this was a couple years back...I think they had essentially every Taylor model in stock...

anyone ever tried one of those Third Hand's? I think I used it for 5 minutes, said "This is pretty darn cool", and then proceeded to forget all about it...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-25-2001, 03:32 PM

Hi Mgracing and Dave F,

The W14c is an absolute dream. I love it, I think I am going to love the looks of the 2001 model but I will miss the appointments on the 2000. It's really pretty. The tone is so deep, chords ring very true but there is still that great separation in the soft touch that cedar gives you, this is one of Taylor's best IMHO.

You guys guessed it, The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. They do it right, I love it there. My only shop for acoustics.

M-man, I hate NE weather! It is so hard on guitars....

Paul, The W14c may be the same one I played, and it's a good one, one of the best I have heard. I understand how you couldn't decide. My head was spinning after I left there yesterday. Don't tell anyone but I took 2 wrong turns on the way home because I was to busy talking to my buddy about the guitars and wasn't watching where I was going ... I'm still dreaming over the sunburst 812...Wow, can't get over it! Will I love it in 10 years??? Still clueless.........

Toekneepark, Yeah this shop is intense, my sampling was a very very small amount of what's in there, some superb instruments!

After all this, I was able to tune my 310-mce back up today after the dry out period and oh my.....I still love it as much as ever, that's a great feeling, you can go out and play the best and when you come home you can't stop playing yours..That is how you know you own a great one!
Old 03-25-2001, 04:29 PM

ERM,

My Vote: 814B

-grm
Old 03-26-2001, 06:13 PM

Erm - I'm becoming a changed man too. On another forum I recently posted my pompous opinion that sunbursts only belong on Gibsons. Then I got the latest Wood & Steel -- I was very impressed with the soft but clear appearance of the Taylor sunbursts and even more impressed with the skill it takes to produce them. I really liked the honeyburst.

Good luck with your selection of a small-bodied Taylor. An hour or two in a fine guitar shop is indeed sensory overload.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion