The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2001, 11:17 PM

Post Most Versital Taylor

I was just wondering what the best all around taylor is. For both flatpicking and fingerstyle. I have heard good things about the 500 series and also the 300 series. I am looking to spent about 1500/

Thanks

sj
Old 03-23-2001, 12:19 PM

Previous posts would indicate that many players find the x14 (Grand Auditorium) size to be the "versatile" Taylor, but of course, it's crucial to let your own ears decide. Many have praised the 14s for sounding great both fingerpicked and strummed, although it's important to note that for the more aggressive strummer, the dreadnoughts or jumbos might be more appropriate.

Your versatility question doesn't really hinge on the series (300 or 500, etc.), but cost does. Your best bet would be to audition are variety of body styles in the price range you can afford -- but definitely check the x14 models.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:24 PM

I would say the 514C I own is very versatile. Cedar doesn't sit well with some though. A used 514C(e) might be in that price range.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:36 PM

Cool

In the price range you mention I would say a 314CE would be right on target. If you could find one in koa that would be all the better. Personall I think the best overall Taylor built in respect to sound,versatiity, and durability is a 514CE. You will have to spend a few more dollars for it but it might be worth the wait. If you dont want the electronics a 514C is close.

As much as I dislike electronics in my guitars for the sound deminishing the 514CE still sounds great.

The 314CE sounds great but I dont like the prefix system as much as the blender. Ive never played a 414CE but I hear they are great also.

I never found a dreadnaught(unless stung light) very good for fingerpicking. The 14 series is the best ive found for fingerpicking and will take on a full flatpick attack(just dumped about 15 pick ends out of my 514CE.

I think the absolute best all around guitar for the do everything do anything and do it well is the 514CE. Just my 2 cents worth JW
Old 03-23-2001, 06:26 PM

In some of the topics here i heard that Taylor could put kind of wood on for the top as long as its from the 500 series. Maybe one with Engelmen he he.

sj
Old 03-24-2001, 01:25 AM

To me, the 414c/ce is the most versatile Taylor in your price range for someone who both fingerpicks and flatpicks. The ovangkol has the crisp brilliance of mahogany and much of the warmth of rosewood. The x14 body size is great for fingerpicking, and moderate strumming (players with a heavy touch who primarily strum would probably be happier with a dread). The cutaway allows access to all those lovely high notes at which Taylors excel. The presence or absence of on-board electronics would depend on whether you need or want to play amplified and whether or not you want a hole in the side of your axe.
Old 03-24-2001, 10:45 PM

My .02 is for either the 514C/CE or 714C/CE.

Note: as others have mentioned, if your style involves primarily heavy strumming, consider the Dread. The 14's, in my opinion, just strike a wonderful balance between fingerpicking and strumming capabilities and are more comfortable to play. I also prefer the body shape asthetically to Dreads but I own one of them too.

Have fun with your search.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:28 AM
Eric Skye

I would say the 814. It has the Rosewood and Sitka for maximum girth and headroom when flatpicked and the 14's balance and clarity for fingerstyle and everything in between. Save a few bucks and skip the C and E. You can get a better external system for a lot less and there is no money above the 12th fret.
________
Medical Marijuana

Last edited by min7b5; 09-03-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2001, 10:16 PM

Lightbulb

I think you might also want to consider the 614. While the maple body is bright, and maybe not the most complex sounding guitar, I have a 612c that projects a mile, and holds up well acoustically against dreadnaughts (for that alone, this guitar won a place in my heart). It's very well balanced low to high, is easy to record, and works surprisingly well for strumming.surprisingly well for most strumming duties without the top compressing until you really get crazy.

The 614 has a bit deeper voice than the 612. Just another option if you're open to it. In the end, go for what tickles your ears.

Brett
Old 03-28-2001, 12:23 AM

For selecting the best compromise between flatpicking and fingerstyle, I would look to the top wood first. Owning guitars made with the three most popular sound boards, I have performed numerous comparisons - here is what I learned:

Western Red Cedar is very soft, making it perfect for fingerstyle but less than optimal for flatpicking (not enough headroom).

Sitka spruce, being one of the strongest woods available, has the ultimate headroom (for flatpicking), but that capability diminishes its fingerstyle performance. It loses tone when played delicately.

IMHO, Engelmann spruce represents an excellent compromise for fingerstyle and flatpicking. It retains brilliant tone when played softly and yet can handle moderate flatpicking and strumming. I've heard good things about Adirondack spruce as well, but have never owned a guitar with that sound board.

Then the choice becomes one of back and sides - a matter of personal preference. I prefer koa and rosewood (in that order) while others enjoy mahogany, maple or ovangkol. The only way to know for sure is to play, play and play some more.

Dave
Old 03-30-2001, 11:37 AM

Cool

Just two quick observations -- first you're at the right starting point with a Taylor (because the Taylor sound in my book is great whether played with a flatpick or fingerstyle -- and second, play them all and patiently find the one that sings to you as the best all-around. Hopefully you can find a dealer with a quiet place to compare tone, clarity, projection (and whatever else) in the low-end, mid-range and highs of several of these great instruments. When you're done you may end up needing/wanting to spend a little more for THE guitar, or find it the 300/400 series. Whatever it's made of -- the one that SOUNDS best to you (given your needs, playing stlye, and budget) is the way to decide. Just my thoughts...have fun finding!

[ 03-30-2001: Message edited by: kweiss ]

[ 03-30-2001: Message edited by: kweiss ]
Old 03-30-2001, 08:01 PM

So....

SJ, your decision has been made so much simpler for you

How's this for concensus? So far you have the following input.

I'll be darned if that doesn't cover pretty much the entire Taylor family until someone chimes in with 9's and presentation series. Oh, don't forget to look at a walnut version.
Based on all of this wonderful data, I'd say your best advice has come from KWeiss. The best is the one that sounds and plays best for you. At least there was some agreement on body style

[ 03-30-2001: Message edited by: mgracing ]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion