The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2024, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Issue with J-45

So, last night I was rehearsing using my J-45 into a Fishman Loudbox. Everything going as usual, the guitar is sounding excellent. Doing some loops, etc. Appropriate volume that I liked. Then all of a sudden, the volume drops literally in half, very weak signal. This is odd because I didn't touch the dial in the guitar or on the amp. First thing I check is the amp. I played back a loop and exact same volume as I had it set. SO, not he amp.
I check the jack on the J-45, extremely loose connected to the guitar which I can't tighten without removing the strings. Not a battery issue as I've only owned the guitar for 1 month and put a fresh battery in 2 weeks ago before my first gig with it. I'm a little freaked out because it' such an expensive guitar.

I was planning to go back to the shop where I purchased i tomorrow to have strap pin attached. I guess they'll be dealing with a bigger issue. Got a gig over Memorial Day weekend, so I'll need it playing right before then.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:29 AM

If a cord was left plugged in, it could yet be a battery issue.

If not, I have no idea.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-16-2024, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
If a cord was left plugged in, it could yet be a battery issue.

If not, I have no idea.
No cord left in. That's why it's got me a bit perplexed.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:36 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

There is an old thread on here about this very issue with a Fishman Loudbox. Someone suggested just blasting the input with compressed air could fix it.

Thread here
Old 05-16-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
So, last night I was rehearsing using my J-45 into a Fishman Loudbox. Everything going as usual, the guitar is sounding excellent. Doing some loops, etc. Appropriate volume that I liked. Then all of a sudden, the volume drops literally in half, very weak signal. This is odd because I didn't touch the dial in the guitar or on the amp. First thing I check is the amp. I played back a loop and exact same volume as I had it set. SO, not he amp.
I check the jack on the J-45, extremely loose connected to the guitar which I can't tighten without removing the strings. Not a battery issue as I've only owned the guitar for 1 month and put a fresh battery in 2 weeks ago before my first gig with it. I'm a little freaked out because it' such an expensive guitar.

I was planning to go back to the shop where I purchased i tomorrow to have strap pin attached. I guess they'll be dealing with a bigger issue. Got a gig over Memorial Day weekend, so I'll need it playing right before then.
Given your symptoms I'd suspect it to be a poor solder connection point in the jack. If it was loose to the point of being able to rotate then that can stress and damage the soldered connection.

I'm not a fan of the tiny sound hole volume / tone controls and had a Baggs Element VTC go to zero volume half way through the first song while doing a bar gig. I pulled out my pocket knife and sliced through the wires attached to the circuit board and it went to maximum volume. I kept it like that until I could get a new pickup. The pickup was only about a year old, but I never liked the sound of it, so it was a good opportunity to get rid of it and install a K&K Pure Mini in its place.

I've actually used three of the VTCs to use in short scale basses that I built, and there's usually a ready supply of used ones available from Gibson owners who pull them out.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Given your symptoms I'd suspect it to be a poor solder connection point in the jack. If it was loose to the point of being able to rotate then that can stress and damage the soldered connection.

I'm not a fan of the tiny sound hole volume / tone controls and had a Baggs Element VTC go to zero volume half way through the first song while doing a bar gig. I pulled out my pocket knife and sliced through the wires attached to the circuit board and it went to maximum volume. I kept it like that until I could get a new pickup. The pickup was only about a year old, but I never liked the sound of it, so it was a good opportunity to get rid of it and install a K&K Pure Mini in its place.

I've actually used three of the VTCs to use in short scale basses that I built, and there's usually a ready supply of used ones available from Gibson owners who pull them out.
This is what I am suspecting as well. When I bring it to the shop tomorrow, I'm going to mention this and have them do the repair
Old 05-16-2024, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Loose jack issues are a dime a dozen. 99% of the time its a simple fix. I couldn’t even begin to guess how many guitars of mine, my son’s, and friends’ guitars that I have had to take the jack plate off and re-solder the connections because the jack spun in the hole until something came loose. Some guitars are famous for this.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-17-2024, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

So, just got my J-45 back from the shop. Those guys are great to care of me right away. It was a loose connection which they fixed and tightened the Element Jack. Got home put the strap on and played when I was done, the other nut/strap pin was loose and I re-tightened it. Ugh.

Does anyone have some tips how to keep the strap pin tight? I think the strap is right in the pin and when I move it causes the pin to loosen.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-17-2024, 08:22 PM

If you are putting your strap right on the pin, you might try one of the strap clips that clips to the end pin instead of the strap right on the end pin. I have had lots of leather straps un screw the end pins jacks. I can’t remember the name of the strap connectors I am thinking of. I think made by d’dadarrio. Little plastic thing that fits the strap pin and attaches to your strap with string. They work great.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:00 PM

What strap pin? On the neck heel? I've never had one come loose in 35+ years of constant strap play (10-30 hrs/wk). If it's the neck pin coming loose, the hole is too big. If that's the case break a toothpick off in the hole and screw the pin in.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
What strap pin? On the neck heel? I've never had one come loose in 35+ years of constant strap play (10-30 hrs/wk). If it's the neck pin coming loose, the hole is too big. If that's the case break a toothpick off in the hole and screw the pin in.
No, is the end pin jack where I plug in. There's a nut cover that keeps loosening on the jack
Old 05-18-2024, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
If you are putting your strap right on the pin, you might try one of the strap clips that clips to the end pin instead of the strap right on the end pin. I have had lots of leather straps un screw the end pins jacks. I can’t remember the name of the strap connectors I am thinking of. I think made by d’dadarrio. Little plastic thing that fits the strap pin and attaches to your strap with string. They work great.
I'll see if I can find one. Sounds like exactly what I need
Old 05-18-2024, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

It could still be the battery. Always start with the easiest thing.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:01 AM

Cinch Fit.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
No, is the end pin jack where I plug in. There's a nut cover that keeps loosening on the jack
If it's a nut that keeps working loose, just get a threadlocking adhesive like Loctite 222 and put one dab on the threads and tighten the nut. That should keep it from working loose from normal vibrations, but will still be easy to break loose with a wrench if/when you need to remove it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion