The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 07:21 AM

Default Neck question on my new Yamaha FG5

So I just got a Yamaha FG5, my first real quality solid-wood guitar. I'm mainly a fingerstyle player who likes dreadnaughts. My first impressions are that it's nice looking and really projects. Balanced tone all over the neck. Action is a little high but I can take it to my local luthier to set it up to my taste.

My question is about the neck. I'm used to a neck that tapers more toward the nut. I like the 1.75" nut width; it's great for fingerpicking. But the neck feels a little chunky in the first position, top to bottom. I don't have the biggest or strongest of hands and it feels different and a little fatiguing.

I'm wondering if I'll get used to it or exchange it for something that better fits my hands or my expectations. Do all Yamaha acoustics have the same neck? Are there other brands or Yamaha models I should look in the $1k-$2k range that have a more tapered neck but keep the 1.75" nut width?
Old 05-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Not sure if the nut slots are too high, making the first positions harder. A good set-up should check that, along with neck relief and saddle height.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...nutaction.html

My FS5 saddle was higher than I like but after adjusting and checking all the above, it was good for me.

Some might holler about this, but I find little sonic difference using 10-47 (Elixir PB nano in my case) strings and playing tuned down 2 to D to be very easy on the hands and to my ears wonderful tone. Costs nothing to experiment with that. If you *need* to play E for some reason just capo at the 2nd fret. Or tune it up. Capoing this way will also feel like the nut slots are cut correctly. If you are a heavy pick banger on the cowboy chords, you might not like the lighter strings.

Yamaha's in the L series and these newer FSx and FGx Red Label I think have the same nut width. I find the necks about the same and I generally like them.

The less expensive FG8xx and FS8xx series have a narrower nut and neck. I find them slightly cramped for my big hands and fingers, but playable. I prefer the wider neck.

That is the limit of my Yamaha experience.

Last edited by redi; 05-15-2024 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
Some might holler about this, but I find little sonic difference using 10-47 strings and playing tuned down 2 to D to be very easy on the hands and to my ears wonderful tone. Costs nothing to experiment with that. If you *need* to play E for some reason just capo at the 2nd fret.
I'm going to try this, thanks. And I really appreciate all the other points you made.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

As previously mentioned, have your setup guy check the string height at the nut. That can make a big difference for playability. From the chart below it looks like as the FG/FS5 Red Label guitars have 44mm (1.75”) nut widths.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...bel/specs.html
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-15-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
As previously mentioned, have your setup guy check the string height at the nut. That can make a big difference for playability. From the chart below it looks like as the FG/FS5 Red Label guitars have 44mm (1.75”) nut widths.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musi...bel/specs.html
Thanks. I wish that chart listed neck taper or thickness. The nut width and string spacing is right on; it's the neck thickness there that's bothering me a little. I'm going to take it to my guitar guy and have him check out the nut and saddle height, along the neck relie, maybe lower the action. That and maybe lighter strings, too.

I have an old A&L acoustic (Godin brand) and love the neck on it, though it's not the easiest to fingerpick on.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfarmer View Post
That and maybe lighter strings, too.
Try the Elixir PB Nano XLs 10-47 at least once yourself before you let someone talk you out of it.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:53 AM

My question is about the neck. I'm used to a neck that tapers more toward the nut. I like the 1.75" nut width; it's great for fingerpicking. But the neck feels a little chunky in the first position, top to bottom. I don't have the biggest or strongest of hands and it feels different and a little fatiguing.

Lots of good advice given regarding setup and string choice, so well worth persevering.
What I will add is my own experience. I had a FG5 which I ended up selling due to the neck profile, I just couldn't get it to work for ME.

Then I bought an LJ16. Same nut width and string spacing as the FG5, BUT a different neck profile.
Suits me like a glove.
By the way, both guitars were very well setup.

IMHO, neck profile has a massive impact on how well any given guitar suits YOU
Food for thought.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:12 PM

first step - play it with a capo on the first fret and then without - if you feel a difference you could benefit by having the nut adjusted - Yamaha's frequently come with a high nut - then if it's high and you get it adjusted the neck may be better for you - not feeling as thick cause the strings were lowered
Old 05-15-2024, 01:28 PM

If you don't like it now, you won't like it later. That is my experience. New nuts, setups, none of that is going to help a neck that is too big for you.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-15-2024, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
first step - play it with a capo on the first fret and then without - if you feel a difference you could benefit by having the nut adjusted - Yamaha's frequently come with a high nut - then if it's high and you get it adjusted the neck may be better for you - not feeling as thick cause the strings were lowered
^^^^^^^ this
Old 05-15-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
If you don't like it now, you won't like it later. That is my experience. New nuts, setups, none of that is going to help a neck that is too big for you.
Alas, I think you are right. I'm probably going to exchange it for the Yamaha LL16, with the slimmer neck profile.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I would try one first. I played my FS5 and LS36 back-to-back and they did not feel much different to me. Same width. Maybe the LS36 rolls the thickness off sooner, but this is all subjective. I don’t have anything fancy to measure them. And maybe my hands are too big to notice.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:42 PM

I felt my FGX5 neck was slimmer than that of my L series. I'd try several on for size before rushing out to change guitars.

I do agree with the bit about the profile being off and not liking it later. I had that experience with a Cole Clark. Loved everything (else) about the guitar, but hated the neck profile. Capo, strings, setup, nothing helped.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:03 PM

Are we seeing the outcome of buying a mailorder guitar? Like Minister Jonson in Blazing Saddles said: 'Son, you're on your own'.

I know if an in-person trial is not possible, the purchaser is taking his chances. If the purchase was in-person, I think Minister Johnson has a point.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Are we seeing the outcome of buying a mailorder guitar? Like Minister Jonson in Blazing Saddles said: 'Son, you're on your own'.

I know if an in-person trial is not possible, the purchaser is taking his chances. If the purchase was in-person, I think Minister Johnson has a point.
I understand the risks and can live with them. There aren't many music stores in central/Northern Maine and zero have high-end Yamahas or Martins.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fg5, fingerstyle, neck, yamaha