The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I've never gone back to nylon. Ugh!
I was wondering about that. I went guitar lookin' just a little while ago and saw a nylon stringed thing. What about gut does anyone make gut strings anymore?
Old 05-15-2024, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
Can you get the Stella cleaned up ... or is it knackered?
The cigarette smoke in the guitar and case is quite overwhelming. The only way I know to try to remedy this is to spray it with something more potent like Ozium. This is an extra strength air freshener. And in this case it has overpowered one obnoxious smell with another obnoxious smell. This old Stella is one that was originally distributed by Sears and Roebuck here in the USA and this one was bought by my parents when I was in my early teens. I'm 67 now. I have shown it to a few local guitar guys who say it has a nice tone and is set up rather well. The thing is this, it was never set up by a guitar tech in the first place. My parents would have never spent the money or had an interest in having such work done to a guitar. The way this thing is set up is exactly the same way in which it was received by the store.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:52 PM

For future reference, this is the Ozium that I used in the guitar and case.
https://www.amazon.com/Ozium-Oz-Sani.../dp/B086T517RH
Old 05-15-2024, 01:55 PM

OK friends, what about Ibanez Guitars? Are these even worth mentioning?
Thanks!
Old 05-15-2024, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I'd counsel you to up your budget to the next level of Yamaha, whatever that is.
Buying a level up I've found with most anything, nets you a significant improvement.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-15-2024, 02:14 PM

You've told us that you're a tall guy. Based on that, many have suggested that you get a BIG guitar. A dreadnought in particular. Maybe that's good advice.

But no one has raised the question of neck scale. You may be tall but have short fingers. Not common, but possible. If you find the stretch between frets at the top of the neck to be fatiguing, or merely bothersome, then consider that body size is only one criterion.

As a beginner, you'll likely do a lot of playing at the top of the neck. The difference in fret spacing is most noticeable there. Try the different neck scales for comfort. A J-45 has a 24.75" neck scale. It's much easier on my stubby digits than the more common 25.5" scale. Seems like a small difference if you just think about a ruler. But think about stretching your fretting hand through a 1-hour set, or 3, and you may be thinking about some serious discomfort. And that's no reason to play guitar.

My own hand anatomy has led me to the only two guitars I own: a Fender Jaguar (24" neck scale) and a Blueridge BG-160 (24.75" neck scale) and both comfy for long playing sessions.

Guitar body size is related to how long your arms are and how tall you stand. But you play the guitar with your hands so I suggest you give neck scale some consideration. IMHO. YMMV.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:33 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Pearl View Post
You've told us that you're a tall guy. Based on that, many have suggested that you get a BIG guitar. A dreadnought in particular. Maybe that's good advice.

But no one has raised the question of neck scale. You may be tall but have short fingers. Not common, but possible. If you find the stretch between frets at the top of the neck to be fatiguing, or merely bothersome, then consider that body size is only one criterion.

As a beginner, you'll likely do a lot of playing at the top of the neck. The difference in fret spacing is most noticeable there. Try the different neck scales for comfort. A J-45 has a 24.75" neck scale. It's much easier on my stubby digits than the more common 25.5" scale. Seems like a small difference if you just think about a ruler. But think about stretching your fretting hand through a 1-hour set, or 3, and you may be thinking about some serious discomfort. And that's no reason to play guitar.

My own hand anatomy has led me to the only two guitars I own: a Fender Jaguar (24" neck scale) and a Blueridge BG-160 (24.75" neck scale) and both comfy for long playing sessions.

Guitar body size is related to how long your arms are and how tall you stand. But you play the guitar with your hands so I suggest you give neck scale some consideration. IMHO. YMMV.
Asked and answered starting on post #9: Post 9 Response here: Post #11
Old 05-15-2024, 02:53 PM

Asked and answered? Doesn't seem that way to me after re-reading posts number 9 and 11.

#9 talks about how the longer neck scale requires that one reach farther from one's body to reach the top of the neck. Do you see anything in there about how far a finger stretch there is between fret one and fret 4? I don't. So I reiterate that neck scale should be a consideration beyond how long one's arms are.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:40 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Pearl View Post
Asked and answered? Doesn't seem that way to me after re-reading posts number 9 and 11.

#9 talks about how the longer neck scale requires that one reach farther from one's body to reach the top of the neck. Do you see anything in there about how far a finger stretch there is between fret one and fret 4? I don't. So I reiterate that neck scale should be a consideration beyond how long one's arms are.
Enjoy the rest of your day.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlepporello View Post
...in need of a guitar. The one I had was an old Stella Harmony which smelled very strongly of cigarette smoke and Ozium...
Go get the guitar and leave it out in a dry area where it can get some sunlight, but mostly dry wind. It'll clear away the smell and not require you to spend any money at all. Odors will always dissipate, just takes longer for some than others, and as long as the guitar doesn't have cat piss it'll be a lot quicker!
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 05-15-2024, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlepporello View Post
The cigarette smoke in the guitar and case is quite overwhelming. The only way I know to try to remedy this is to spray it with something more potent like Ozium. This is an extra strength air freshener. And in this case it has overpowered one obnoxious smell with another obnoxious smell.
None of my guitars which had overpowering cigarette smoke smell ever lasted for too long and just a bit of patience and ventilation will clear it up.

Quote:
This old Stella is one that was originally distributed by Sears and Roebuck here in the USA and this one was bought by my parents when I was in my early teens. I'm 67 now. I have shown it to a few local guitar guys who say it has a nice tone and is set up rather well.
Knowing the guitar has been in your family for so long, coupled with the comments from other players makes me want to double down on suggesting you keep this guitar, even if you do get another while waiting for the Stella to recover from her smoking habit.

Regarding Ibanez, I've had many of their instruments and my main electrics are still Ibanez, even over my highly favored Les Paul. If you're set on buying another guitar, definitely check out all the brands of interest, but also check the lesser known brands as well and let your hands and ears choose.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 05-15-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realoldguy View Post
Newbe to Newbe:

I have not seen anyone mention a nylon string guitar. You will be able to play longer with less pain on a nylon string. Also with your size you probably have large fingers which makes the wide fretboard of a nylon a plus.

I do agree with the Yamaha comments. I've got a FG800 and a C40. I find I play the C40 more.
I was also going to bring up the fingerboard width because of your size...although there may not be a correlation. Was the Harmony fingerboard comfortable enough? (I'm guessing it's narrower.) I believe the lower-priced Yamahas are as well.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therbulus View Post
I was also going to bring up the fingerboard width because of your size...although there may not be a correlation. Was the Harmony fingerboard comfortable enough? (I'm guessing it's narrower.) I believe the lower-priced Yamahas are as well.
Yes, I did find the fingerboard to be a bit narrow. And as for my finger spreading, I can cover an octave spread on a piano easily enough. Trying to do the same on a guitar is a bit of a stretch so to speak, at the moment.

What about Taylor guitars, guys?
Old 05-15-2024, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

I like Taylors, well built, quality instruments and their warranty/service is unbeatable if you purchase new. That said, I'm more than happy in the used market and for the most part, I play before I pay. If you're interested in a Taylor, based on your height and wing span, look at their Dreadnought, Grand Symphony and Grand Orchestra size bodies.

Happy Hunting!

Scott

PS, Taylor does a great job with all mahogany guitars, try one if you can...
Old 05-15-2024, 08:05 PM

Where is my "THANKS!" button?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
new guitar player, newbie