The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-11-2024, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Recommendations for Custom Pick Guard Providers

Exploring options for a custom guard on my new Reverend.

I've read (with a grain of salt) some unfavorable reviews of more than one provider; mostly regarding extended turn-around times (after sending the original in to be used as the template).

Would appreciate hearing about recommendations based on positive experiences.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 05-12-2024 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:12 AM

WD has been a good source for these.

I've not ordered anything from them for a while, but I had reasonably good results

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-14-2024, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I’ve purchased pickguards from PickGuardian (for a Rickenbacker) and WD (for an old Hondo). Both were very good experiences, and quality products.

Both were stock items - I can’t comment on sending in an original. PickGuardian, in particular, has always had a stellar reputation among Rickenbacker users.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-14-2024, 04:42 PM

I have had quite a few pickguards made for me by Pickguardian. All have been great (7ender AV '62 Jazz Bass; several for Ricks, both vintage and modern, some a combination of both).
Old 05-14-2024, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I have had quite a few pickguards made for me by Pickguardian. All have been great (7ender AV '62 Jazz Bass; several for Ricks, both vintage and modern, some a combination of both).
Thanks Jeff.
Were they stock pick guards or did you have to send in an original to ensure exact fit?

Last edited by FingahPickah; 05-14-2024 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Were they stock pick guards or did you have to send in an original to ensure exact fit?
The 7ender's PG was essentially stock but with a cutout for easy access to the truss rod nut (I had a matching cutout routed into the body).

For the Ricks, I had three made for my first '73 4001 (July) that fit perfectly. One of those three ended up being used on a second '73 4001 (March) I bought many years later, and the third one was used for a custom harness I made for the July 4001 (I asked Tony not to drill any holes for controls and the selector switch in one of them).

On two other Ricks (April '98 4001V63 and May '08 4003) I dropped the basses off with him for some custom PGs, and picked them up after he made them.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The 7ender's PG was essentially stock but with a cutout for easy access to the truss rod nut (I had a matching cutout routed into the body).

For the Ricks, I had three made for my first '73 4001 (July) that fit perfectly. One of those three ended up being used on a second '73 4001 (March) I bought many years later, and the third one was used for a custom harness I made for the July 4001 (I asked Tony not to drill any holes for controls and the selector switch in one of them).

On two other Ricks (April '98 4001V63 and May '08 4003) I dropped the basses off with him for some custom PGs, and picked them up after he made them.
Sounds good. Do you recall the turnaround time for the custom work on the basses you dropped off?
Old 05-15-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Sounds good. Do you recall the turnaround time for the custom work on the basses you dropped off?
I may have been a special case, but, I dropped the basses off on a Friday afternoon and picked them up that Sunday on my way home.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I may have been a special case, but, I dropped the basses off on a Friday afternoon and picked them up that Sunday on my way home.
Thanks. I appreciate your input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars