The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 04:27 PM

Default Watch out for fake ".shop" website scams

I saw the recent post about the Sam Ash scam on Facebook and thought I would also warn members about .shop spoof sites. I've stumbled onto them a few times.

Last week I was on Google Shopping and saw a used Goodall guitar selling for about 80% off what it should be priced. I saw "The Music Emporium" listed, so I clicked to check it out. What I found was a mirror site with a .shop URL mirroring The Music Emporium's website (themusicemporium.shop). I immediately reported it to Google and the site was offline the next day.

Always make sure you are on a real website. If the prices are too good to be true it is most certainly a scam. Check the URL and you can also do a reverse image search on Google to see if the product photo is advertised elsewhere.

This is the third time I've seen a .shop site setup as a scam mirroring another site selling guitars. Buyers beware.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor

Last edited by aschroeder; 05-14-2024 at 05:36 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion