The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-12-2024, 06:07 AM

Congrats on the new car. I had a used pre-outback in the late ‘80s which I loved, sold with catalytic converter problems. Now have an ‘09 Outback bought used in 2019 with 32,000 miles for 10K. It has CVT issues that I live with at 175,000 mi. Just bought our daughter a 2024 Crosstrek Wilderness for her college grad prezzie since she is a forestry person. Would buy a manual transmission for myself next time. They drive great, enjoy.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:04 PM

Purchased a new 2024 Outback Touring XT a few months ago.

Was initially looking at offerings from BMW, Lincoln, MB, Volvo and Audi.

Was sold on the Audi A4 Allroad(US$53K)

On the suggestion from my son, who had purchased a 2024 OB Wilderness earlier this year, I test drove the Touring XT. It easily held it's own against all of the "higher-end" vehicles and at it's respective price point was a "no brainer for me".

Recently completed a 600 mile round trip and very happy with my choice. Ride quality. and cabin comfort were great.
Old 05-12-2024, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

We got a new '24 Outback (Limited) in January, and really like it so far. We've been CR-V owners since 2010 - I'm in the '17 (both were EX-L AWD) and the Outback has a slightly more sedan-like, quieter ride, which is what I was looking for. (Well, I was actually thinking sedan, but the better-half likes to be a bit higher off the ground with the potential for street flooding around here, never mind being surrounded by pickup trucks.)

It's a little different, and a couple things - only one of which I find actually annoying. MPG is much worse than the Honda, but we're retired and the miles we drive are not going to make a material difference in our budget, but 24 vs 31 is pretty significant, though we could read that number going in, so, no regrets. The one that does bug me is that whatever they're using for their display panel is not polarized-lens friendly. I can barely read it with my polarized clip-ons. Really surprising, and annoying - I mean, really? Never a problem in the CR-V.

But, my sis has had a few, including a new Legacy, and an old friend has had 2 or 3 with no problems. (He did pick the CR-V last time, based on riding in ours, though he was a Forrester owner, which is more comparable.)

Good luck!

Last edited by keith.rogers; 05-12-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

The CVT in my 2015 Outback has worked flawlessly for 110K miles (so far). "Thanks" for putting the bug in my brain that it might not always be that way.

I wouldn't say it qualifies as "distracting," but I do find myself pondering the mechanics of it all, watching my RPM remain steady under (moderate) acceleration as MPH increases.

https://www.sportsubaru.com/subaru-cvt-explained.htm

Link gives us the quasi-technical scoop, which is considerably more sophisticated than my mental cartoon image of opposing red and yellow rubber cones spinning against each other like half-worn pencil erasers, lol.

It behaves like any other automatic transmission when I put my foot in it. Paddle shifters are kinda' fun sometimes too.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-12-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

If they are as bad as you say, wouldn't that be a "brand killer" ?
Subaru fans' almost comic brand loyalty seems to be keeping that from happening, at least in my neighborhood. For instance, last year I spoke to a gentleman who was buying a bunch of accessories for his new 2023 Outback. I conversationally asked him if it was his first Subaru. He said no, but sure hoped if was better than the 2022 he traded in, because that one needed a new transmission at 8,000 miles. Like I said, we currently have two in the shop getting warranty transmissions, and we probably do two or three non-warranty in an average month, and probably have a couple of older ones that need tranny's, but the owner decides to dump the car, due to cost. We also replaced two torque converters last week. Both on 2022 Outbacks and under warranty.

Note that this is not a Subaru-only problem. CVT's in general are far less durable that a traditional AT. Honda and, especially, Nissan have problems as well. A CVT just isn't as reliable as a traditional transmission.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 05-13-2024, 05:23 AM

My wife lovers her 2021 Outback Touring model (has around 30K miles on it). My only complaints are with all the glass in the car there is a little more road noise than I would like and I'm used to my F250 so I feel a bit cramped (in the front driver compartment - esp with sunroof) when I drive.

But is runs great, has a ton of room in the hatch back area , and gets decent fuel mileage. Our longest trip was Annapolis to Boston - was right on the edge of "comfort" for a long road trip - but again I'm used to all the room of my 2017 F250. (That and I hate being eye to eye with everyone else's bumper - I've grown used to being up a bit higher with all the trucks I've owned.)
1998 Fender Jazz Base
2001 Fender Stratocater - Eric Clapton Edition
2006 Taylor GS 8
2008 Fender Stratocaster - John Mayer Edition
2012 Takamine 12 String
2022 Fender Acoustasonic Player Telecaster
2023 Martin HD-28E LRB
Fender Deluxe 900 Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Tube Amp
Bose L1 Pro8
Old 05-13-2024, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

We're on our 2nd Outback, a 2021 Touring XT. Absolutely love that car.

But......

Our first was a 2013 2.5i that we bought used. Unbeknownst to us at the time, that particular year model was plagued with bad rings and had a real problem with oil consumption.

Subaru recognized the problem and would replace the short block if certain conditions where met (less than 100K miles, and extreme oil usage).

Ours did not meet those criteria, but after about 165K miles, it was going through about a quart every 1000 miles. Dealer suggested I call Subaru Of Amerca (SOA) and plead my case.

SOA did agree to replace the short block for $2K (normally over $5K), and dealer did not charge for the labor. Way to go Subura.

All was well for about nine months until while on a trip, the dash board lit up with all the warning lights. Car was running, so we returned home, took it the dealer and was told something call a valve block needed replacing (over $3K).

Well that did not sit well with us, so we went looking for something else. But nothing was ringing our bell.

In the mean time, the dealer reached out to SOA, explaning our plight. Salesrep called and talked us into coming and trying one the models with the 'new' XT engine.

We were hooked. SOA offered a deep discount and the dealer gave us a resonable trade in on the 2013 model. So we decided to give Subaru another chance.

The dealer even provided a new Crosstrek as a loaner until the model we wanted was delivered (about 3 weeks).

We've had this Outback since November 2020 and have been nothing but happy with the car. The only problem I have had with the car is that all this extra power has resulted in a couple of tickets....

More that anything, I was impressed with the customer service that SOA provided during all of this. Hard to beat the effort put forth to satisfy us.

D

Last edited by dhodgeh; 05-13-2024 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Today's intake includes a 2024 Forester that sounds like someone is making horseshoes very rapidly inside the engine. It is getting a new one under warranty at 5,000 miles. Also, a 30,000 mile Crosstrek that is getting the afore-mentioned cam carrier reseal under warranty.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 05-13-2024, 06:46 PM

I have A 2021 Outback , pretty basic so far so good . Scotty Kilmer has a podcast where he said Subaru did not use head gaskets on their 4/cyl . So when they get some miles they leak . They supposedly use some kind of sealant instead of gaskets ….I don’t know.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker1 View Post
I have A 2021 Outback , pretty basic so far so good . Scotty Kilmer has a podcast where he said Subaru did not use head gaskets on their 4/cyl . So when they get some miles they leak . They supposedly use some kind of sealant instead of gaskets ….I don’t know.
He can be right quite full of nonsense. There are social media folks who dissect some of the guy's really wrong ideas. I don't disrespect him but just don't believe all his stuff and others work to prove that.

All boxer engines are more prone to leaks - not just Subaru. Just consider how the boxer is several more castings than an L or V type.

The version of the 2.5 L engine prior to the 2013 mid cycle refresh does or did indeed have more head gasket leaks. You can find a lot of info on their attempts to improve that and they did. Still, our old Outback with that engine has been fine for 13 years now, just like it is for many. My brother had that problem with that version but still got another because they're good overall.

I just looked in the 2024 Consumer Reports owner survey and all the models are scored well for both major and minor engine problems. They rank 2016-24 models.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Olympia View Post
I work in Subaru parts/service. I am not a fanboy, these are my real world observations with 35 years of experience in the automotive world.

. The other two most common problems are wheel bearings and engine oil leaks. Replacing a wheel bearing out of warranty is a $500 job.

I know there will be the inevitable "I've driven Subarus for thirty years and I've never had a problem with one", but I work in a facility with a 20 bay shop and we see 20-30 cars a day. This is my daily life.
Out of 5 Subies, Ive replaced two front wheel bearings. My mechanic got subaru OEM parts for $80, and it was $100 labor. Total less than $200 out the door. I dont question your experience, but cast doubt on your company’s pricing. And those two bearings were the ONLY repairs ever needed.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-13-2024, 09:16 PM

Default Don't take it from me...

Listen to Dave from Olympia instead. Then a pro who works under the hoods of Subarus every day gives you a warning, take it!

Subaru makes essentially one engine, and uses one transmission, like it or lump it. The boxer design makes major service considerably more extensive, and Subarus are infamous for needing head gasket and timing belt replacement soon after 100K mikes. I paid $2200 for mine, and that was 15 years ago! The engine isn't particularly powerful or economical for its size, either. Towing capacities are too low to meet my occasional needs.

Subaru's Green reputation is a marketing myth; they have no hybrids, and only one recent EV model. They're certainly not the only brand working on safety; and any modern brand is probably heavier, stronger and safer than your beloved old Subaru. My young daughter couldn't wait to buy a Forester - the trailhead parking lots in the PNW look like Subaru dealerships, she reports - but she quickly admitted that her 2017 was noisy and slow compared to the VW Tiguan we had owned before. Next time, she'll look for another brand, perhaps an EV.

Once I owned a Forester, 20 years ago. There's a lot I like about that body style: the tall roof, upright stance and large windows fit me better than any other profile. It's an ideal size. But until they can offer a strong, modern hybrid drivetrain, I'm just not interested anymore. There are better choices out there.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Tacoma JM9 jumbo
-Tacoma JK50C jumbo
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 05-14-2024, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Olympia View Post
I work in Subaru parts/service. I am not a fanboy, these are my real world observations with 35 years of experience in the automotive world.

Subarus are no better or worse than any other semi-premium import line. If well-maintained, they will run for as long as you want them to. That said, they have one of the highest scheduled maintenance costs in the industry. They do, however, have several weaknesses. First is the CVT transmission. This is not a "new design bugs" situation. It is an ongoing problem since they started using them. Newer Outbacks and Ascents are the current biggest problem. We currently have two in the shop getting new transmissions. The other two most common problems are wheel bearings and engine oil leaks. Replacing a wheel bearing out of warranty is a $500 job. The oil leak problems on the later model 2.5's usually require a cam carrier reseal to rectify. This is an engine out, $1500 job. If you are someone who keeps their car past the warranty expiration, you will end up with some big bills, eventually.

Personally, I would never own a Subaru with a CVT of any kind. My personal car is a 2019 Crosstrek with 6-speed manual. It is lacking all of the nanny features of the newer models, and I change my oil every 3000 miles in an effort to delay the inevitable leaks.

I know there will be the inevitable "I've driven Subarus for thirty years and I've never had a problem with one", but I work in a facility with a 20 bay shop and we see 20-30 cars a day. This is my daily life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Listen to Dave from Olympia instead. Then a pro who works under the hoods of Subarus every day gives you a warning, take it!

Subaru makes essentially one engine, and uses one transmission, like it or lump it. The boxer design makes major service considerably more extensive, and Subarus are infamous for needing head gasket and timing belt replacement soon after 100K mikes. I paid $2200 for mine, and that was 15 years ago! The engine isn't particularly powerful or economical for its size, either. Towing capacities are too low to meet my occasional needs.

Subaru's Green reputation is a marketing myth; they have no hybrids, and only one recent EV model. They're certainly not the only brand working on safety; and any modern brand is probably heavier, stronger and safer than your beloved old Subaru. My young daughter couldn't wait to buy a Forester - the trailhead parking lots in the PNW look like Subaru dealerships, she reports - but she quickly admitted that her 2017 was noisy and slow compared to the VW Tiguan we had owned before. Next time, she'll look for another brand, perhaps an EV.

Once I owned a Forester, 20 years ago. There's a lot I like about that body style: the tall roof, upright stance and large windows fit me better than any other profile. It's an ideal size. But until they can offer a strong, modern hybrid drivetrain, I'm just not interested anymore. There are better choices out there.
These are not unknown issues and our recent Outback wheel bearing replacement on a 10 year old car was a fraction of that - just under $350. Some other wear items were all reasonably priced against our having other makes and what I know from the company fleet where the GM, Stellantis and Ford stand out for having HVAC, dash electronics, even seats problems.

They're not perfect just like our Toyota with a known as legendary engine had an early water pump replacement.

I would also not make too many judgements about 20 year old products now, and I don't in any way think the IN Subaru plant and their others small foot print efforts are a myth. Some things I studied from that and many other facilities all work very well in our own enterprise.

If you take a calculator and do some middle school math it is pretty easy to calculate "green". For the business I own I replaced a pickup truck and frame type SUV with a basic Outback. A few times a year I rent a traditional work type pickup truck. It's worked out wonderfully and is now 12 years of 10 or more MPG saved and very reasonable post-warranty costs. Unlike the smash roof Ford pickups that killed a family member and other vehicles.

Still, I am looking for ways to improve that even more.

Instead of being swayed by anecdotal evidence I'm also looking at data such as the annual CU owner surveys, IIHS crash testing, and the EPA fuel economy testing where now they even have owner reports to show trends different than the tests.

I'm disappointed Subaru put off the hybrid a model year but if I had to buy a car this week it is still looking like the Outbacks would be a pretty good bet. They are examples of when boring and predictable are good characteristics.

Still, I hope the Rivian R2 really happens, and if I take the plunge to redevelop a property myself I'll search out a rare long bed mid-sized pickup that would theoretically boost my metro and city driving MPG.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:19 AM

Heck, nearly every Subaru Dave sees is in the shop. That's his view.

However, it was my view about Toyotas when I was a young man in Arizona in the late 70's and our shop was FULL of them.

The last 2 Fords our family owned had transmissions go out and when I went to pick up the second one the transmission shop was full of Fords.

It's a crapshoot for sure, but when I talk to owners, and read forums, Subaru's have a darned good "repeat customer" base.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-14-2024, 05:45 AM

Lots of different views here. I have [now my wifes car] a 2021 Crossover , no problems. We don't really drive far. But both cars have the extended warranty, so we will se how it goes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic