The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-11-2024, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Buyer asking for serial number

I guess they’re looking for the date of manufacture? This is on Craigslist. Guy seems legit, but just seemed kinda odd? It’s for a D-28. Anyone have thoughts? Appreciate it!
Old 05-12-2024, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Normal. Typically, for serial look up or to search previous history online. I am more inclined to buy when someone posts it or I can see it in the photos. It's not like listing a VIN. Even dealers list the serial. Thieves and scammers hide them though.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Normal. Typically, for serial look up or to search previous history online. I am more inclined to buy when someone posts it or I can see it in the photos. It's not like listing a VIN. Even dealers list the serial. Thieves and scammers hide them though.
Thanks Bowie. Buy you a beer if it sells.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Bought/sold/traded well over 100 (mostly electric) since the 1970s, always carefully concealing at least the last few digits of the serial numbers.

Logic:
I guess I didn't want some yahoo on Craigslist to see the whole number and make a police report that "their" guitar had been stolen and I was trying to sell it.

The more I learn about various maker's numbering systems, the more I'm learning about countries of origin, plants, manufacture dates, etc., etc. Stuff a legit potential buyer might want to know.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-12-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Logic:
I guess I didn't want some yahoo on Craigslist to see the number and make a police report that "their" guitar had been stolen and I was trying to sell it.
The claimant would have the burden of proof that they not only owned it, but that it was stolen. It's not something some yahoo could just do.
Old 05-12-2024, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Yeah I was wondering if they might grab my photos and post the guitar for sale or something.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The claimant would have the burden of proof that they not only owned it, but that it was stolen. It's not something some yahoo could just do.
Good point. Makes sense. And I'll disclose whatever a potential buyer asks for once I can tell I'm not dealing with a run-of-the-mill oxygen bandit.

Seriously, I've placed CL ads before looking for a singing acoustic guitar player to jam with and received responses like, "What is you best price this item."
Old 05-12-2024, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good point. Makes sense. And I'll disclose whatever a potential buyer asks for once I can tell I'm not dealing with a run-of-the-mill oxygen bandit.

Seriously, I've placed CL ads before looking for a singing acoustic guitar player to jam with and received responses like, "What is you best price this item."
Yeah, he signed the email on first contact, put a phone number on it, and sent photos of his '64 D-28 so I'm pretty sure he's real, but yeah I hear ya. It can be a cesspool for sure.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yea, I still use Craigs for furniture and such and it's wild the type of responses you get. The scary thing is some of them are from real people, not bots.

Serial numbers and Craigs remind me of two experiences. One with a Gibson that had the serial carved away. And, another where I advised a guy to let me look at his Telecaster before selling it for $3k. He brought it over and the date codes on the pots dates it back to one of the first years of manufacture.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Exactly, it takes more than a serial number jotted down on a piece of paper. Think about it, there are serial numbers front and center inside every guitar you put your hands on. They aren't secrets.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-13-2024, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Exactly, it takes more than a serial number jotted down on a piece of paper. Think about it, there are serial numbers front and center inside every guitar you put your hands on. They aren't secrets.
Point well taken - again.

A coherent query regarding any ad I place will get a detailed, coherent response from me including a unique serial number. Worked perfectly 100+ times with guitars so far, and 100+ more with various amps, vehicles, cameras/lenses, weaponry, drones, bicycles, kayaks, etc.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-13-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

It always seems bizarre to me that people will post photos with their thumb over part of the serial number. I don’t understand why they think that being deliberately antagonistic will help them sell the thing. These are often the same ads that say “Don’t ask me if I still have it, scammers will be blocked, don’t waste my time.” Don’t worry, I won’t.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 05-24-2024, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

To put a bow on this, the guy who asked for the serial number bought the guitar at asking price. He’s aces in my book!
Old 05-24-2024, 08:06 AM

Nice!! Congrats!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic