The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2024, 07:08 AM
Musical minimalist

I've always been fascinated that people are willing to pay 500-1000 dollars or more for an "acoustic amp" when you can buy small pair of powered speakers and small mixer and have a lot more versatility for much less.

If weight is a concern the powered speakers I use are 17 lbs each and the mixer weighs about 3. There are times where one speaker would suffice and even then, it's a 10 inch two way system.

I even recently bought a dynamic mic to plug directly into one of he speakers to test on amplifying my guitar only (I never had a problem projecting my voice) I'm guessing I could cover a room of 40-50 people just like that.

Old 05-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've always been fascinated that people are willing to pay 500-1000 dollars or more for an "acoustic amp" when you can buy small pair of powered speakers and small mixer and have a lot more versatility for much less.

If weight is a concern the powered speakers I use are 17 lbs each and the mixer weighs about 3. There are times where one speaker would suffice and even then, it's a 10 inch two way system.

I even recently bought a dynamic mic to plug directly into one of he speakers to test on amplifying my guitar only (I never had a problem projecting my voice) I'm guessing I could cover a room of 40-50 people just like that.
I would agree that, for flexibility, a small desk and powered speaker(s) is a good option - it is what I have. However, some folks do like their all-in-one acoustic amps because they suit their needs.

BTW - I play monthly to a seated after dinner audience of 50 to 70 in a hotel function room. I don't use or need any pa kit for that sort of venue. Same for local churches. I do have medium gauge strings on my 000 size guitar. And when I fingerpick I use a thumb pick and metal fingerpicks. So my guitar sound carries well.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-12-2024, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I've been very skeptical of mic'ing guitars in active venues because I've seen it create problems. But last night I finally saw someone make it work, this excellent singer at the noisiest venue in town. You can't tell from the photo but it was jam-packed, loud talking, hard surfaces all over the place--no issues. Note the guitar mic placement. Dynamic mics, I couldn't make out the brand.

This still wouldn't work for me as I bounce around even when I sit and when I perform standing, which is 95% of the time, I like to walk around a little on instrumentals. But I have to admit I was impressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240511_223743~2.jpg (90.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-12-2024, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ante View Post
Thanks, I do playing with small group of friends.

Hi, I will be interested to hear if this works out for you. I can understand the single mic approach for a whole group, if all share that mic and all sounds are basically acoustic on stage. But if some are plugged in and it gets a little loud, I would think mic-ing the guitar would be problematic.
If you need monitors to hear yourself well, for example, a guitar mic is tricky. Also if you move around at all ( that’s me) the sound falls off so quickly, and the valued wood on your guitar is so much softer than the metal in a mic, during the inevitable collisions.
A nice acoustic pickup makes stage life so much easier. The sound is not perfect but using a mic onstage may not be, either.
Good luck in this noble pursuit of quality sound on stage!
Old 05-13-2024, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Ante, I have used a single stage mic' for gigs, both solo and with bands. They do need some care when setting them up. To get as much "lift" from the mic' as possible you need the mic' behind the speaker line and you need to "ring" the room using a good eq and/or notch filters.

The Rode NT1a (not expensive) works well enough. The stage position makes a difference. Ideally, you want a soft back wall and not be in a corner surrounded by hard surfaces. But if the venue and gig are suitable then a single stage mic' covering multiple players/singers can be successful, even within a mixed acoustic and electric band with drums.

You would be better off getting a mixer and powered speaker than an acoustic amp for this type of sound reinforcement.
Thanks, probably best advice so far.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Caught Verlon Thompson and Shawn Camp's Tribute to Guy Clark show at Poor David's Pub in Dallas. Each had an Ear Trumpet microphone mounted on the single music stand. Voices and every note was clear. Guitars sounded great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0109.jpg (62.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-13-2024, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Caught Verlon Thompson and Shawn Camp's Tribute to Guy Clark show at Poor David's Pub in Dallas. Each had an Ear Trumpet microphone mounted on the single music stand. Voices and every note was clear. Guitars sounded great.
The Ear Trumpet mic's look great. I saw a folk duo using one between them at our local music venue last year. Unfortunately, there is no UK supplier of the mic's. And they cost a fortune to import!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification